2013 Academy Awards Nominations

Summary

Nominations for the 85th Academy Awards® were announced by the show's host, Seth MacFarlane, and actress Emma Stone on Thursday, January 10. This was the first time since 1972 that an Oscar show host has participated in the nominations announcement. Back to Article

Comments

Dave J

Dave J

I don't know some of those scenes were conveniently identicle to "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" and theirs obviously a direct correalation with all three films!

And to say it deserves a "Razzie" in comparison to Burton's Batman films makes Nolans third film a masterpiece since in Burton's version Batman didn't need an introduction to the character at all whatsoever since it's assumed that because he's already in comic books that he didn't really need one- now that's pretentious!

Jan 10 - 01:23 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Awesome! My only complaint as far as sins of omissions go is, believe it or not, Richard Gere for Best Actor in ARBITRAGE. I've always considered him a movie star, not an actor, with 3 exceptions: AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN, PRIMAL FEAR and ARBITRAGE; in the latter, he's never been better!

Jan 10 - 01:23 PM

Dave J

Dave J

And speaking of "Zero Dark Thirty" there's a great discussion on Charlie Rose about the film's accuracy of "Zero Dark Thirty" which it's been described as docu-drama and and as a drama on the first half hour as well as the accuracy of "Argo" on the second half today at 2:00 PM Seattle time on Charlie Rose- I think movie fanatics ought to check it out!

Jan 10 - 01:31 PM

Timothy Kerridge

Timothy Kerridge

Worst nominations list ever. I think the director nominations are worst you could almost change all five for Tarantino, Affleck, Bigalow, W Anderson and P Anderson.

Jan 10 - 01:36 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

^ This exactly!

Jan 13 - 12:39 AM

Timothy Kerridge

Timothy Kerridge

The lack of nominations for Moonrise Kingdom appauls me...

Jan 10 - 01:37 PM

Jason Sparks

Jason Sparks

Why don't movie like "The Avengers" ever get Best Picture nominations? I know it's just pop fun, but it was so well done, and hard to pull off, why not nominate it? Also, I've seen Beasts of the Southern Wild and I didn't like it.

Jan 10 - 01:46 PM

Sam Steel

Sam Steel

A quick look through the best picture winners of each year indicates that the acadamy prefer films that play like a book.

I guess that is what white American men over 50 (The vast majoraty of the acadamy) like.

Jan 10 - 04:22 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Like a book"? Oh, you mean a novel, like a literate story with themes and meaning and developed characters and such? Because, I presume, black women like Toni Morrison and Alice Walker had nothing to do with those.

Jan 10 - 05:15 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

It is because The Avengers was what you said... "just pop fun." You answered your own question.

Jan 13 - 12:40 AM

Matt Chandler

Matt Chandler

Jacki Weaver in best supporting actress is blowing my mind. She almost ruined Silver Linings Playbook for me.

Jan 10 - 01:47 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

The way the Academy has set up the nominations is any film that gets at least 5% of the Best Picture votes. Apparently neither of those films did.

Jan 10 - 01:48 PM

Stewart Lund

Stewart Lund

Relatively happy with these noms. Sad about Wes Anderson and Moonrise not being nominated, though.

Jan 10 - 01:49 PM

Jack Ninivaggi

Jack Ninivaggi

To be fair, Leonardo DiCaprio kind of sucks. His main talent is yelling. He really just did a funny accent.

Jan 10 - 02:01 PM

Connor Vallecillo

Connor Vallecillo

I'm happy Joaquin is there. That's something they got right. The directing category is just embarrasing. No Ben Affleck, no Kathryn Bigelow, no Quentin Tarantino, no Tom Hooper, and no PTA. Sorry Oscars but you really f ed up here

Jan 10 - 02:22 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Waltz was so good in Django that, though DiCaprio did what is arguably the best performance of his career, his Candie was always overshadowed by Waltz's Dr. King Shultz. I doubt Arkin deserves such a nomination... and Naomi Watts?! Who the hell decided this?! "The Impossible" was one of the stupidest movies of 2012.

Jan 10 - 02:22 PM

Jason Tong

Jason Tong

Let's be clear about this, The Dark Knight Rises was good but not even near as The Dark Knight, that was a masterpiece!! The Dark Knight Rises main problem was the voice of Bane, couldn't understand what he was saying most of the time, and he was a terrible villian, but I will admit I did like Anna Hathaway as Catwoman, finally that character done right!! I hate Leo but I was upset when he wasn't nominated for Django Unchained, that was a terrific movie, he did a great job in that playing the villian but Waltz was better and also mad as hell that Tatinio wasn't nominated for best director!! That is all!!

Jan 10 - 02:25 PM

Jason Cook

Jason Cook

TDKR >>>> TDK by a long shot. AFI giving TDKR it's number one film of the year rank kind of proves it. I loved all three Nolan bat films but TDK ranks last imo. Batman Begins and TDKR were better from a storyline stand point.

And you had problems understanding Bane? Really?

Jan 10 - 10:01 PM

Paul Popa

Paul Popa

I wouldn't mind seeing Lincoln win BP but Spielberg lose BD. It'll be interesting to see how Les Mis and Anna Karenina fare out in the artsy categories.

Jan 10 - 02:42 PM

Paul Popa

Paul Popa

Janson, Stewart screams pretentious. I bet he wishes he was part of the Academy so he could cast a meaningless vote.

Jan 10 - 02:46 PM

Alex H.

Alex Haines

where is Looper for best original screenplay, that was one of the most original stories i have seen in years.

Jan 10 - 02:49 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

True. True.

Jan 13 - 12:40 AM

Jeremy M.

Jeremy Mitchell

You lefy out "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and I still think his best performance of his career and his first (of many) missed Oscar's.

Jan 10 - 02:56 PM

Susy Schwatz

Susy Schwatz

I agree too. Mirror mirror and SWatH are basically painful to watch. I mean, ok, SWatH had some nice animated deer and trees but it's not Oscar material.

Jan 10 - 03:00 PM

Jamal Brown

Jamal Brown

Silver Linings Playbook!!!!! Go Jennifer Lawrence!!!

Jan 10 - 03:03 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Bardem got snubbed... :(

Jan 10 - 03:04 PM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>