2013 Academy Awards Nominations

Summary

Nominations for the 85th Academy Awards® were announced by the show's host, Seth MacFarlane, and actress Emma Stone on Thursday, January 10. This was the first time since 1972 that an Oscar show host has participated in the nominations announcement. Back to Article

Comments

Kev

Kevin K.

Again Leonardo DiCaprio will not have a chance to win his first Oscar in his career. Alan Arkin was good in Ben Affleck's "Argo" but not worth the nomination. Will Leo win his Academy Award?

And Kathryn Bigelow is absent from the Best Director category. While I don't believe "Zero Dark Thirty" is the best picture of the year, I believe that Bigelow's direction (particularly in the final 30 minutes) should've nailed her AT LEAST a nomination.

In the end, the Academy has disappointed me yet again.

Jan 10 - 03:09 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Okay, how many times do I have to say to you people: RIEFENSTAHL HAS AN OSCAR ALREADY, GET THE FUCK OVER IT!

Jan 11 - 12:38 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

I think you need to get over it. Every comment you make is about how butthurt you are over "riefenstahl." Quit your bitching already.

Jan 13 - 12:41 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Oh, I'm over it now asshole.

Jan 13 - 11:01 AM

CACB

Andrew Diakter

But Shakespeare in love had a nomination in Best Director category

Jan 10 - 03:20 PM

CACB

Andrew Diakter

Well now I don't think Zero Dark Thirty will win, it was looking almost a lock until today. I didn't really like that film that much, it was properly made but it lacked likeliness and depth for most of the characters. Also the screenplay wasn't anything special from what I could judge, I hope it doesn't win there either.

Jan 10 - 03:26 PM

Kristen Boyer

Kristen Boyer

exactly

Jan 10 - 03:29 PM

Tom Carter

Tom Carter

Now, I haven't seen Beasts of the Southern Wild, even though it's set in my home state of Louisiana. I'll say this, though, from what I hear, Quvenzhane was excellent in that. I just hope for her sake she won't be another Gabourey Sidibe and will just disappear after this one film. I think the girl has a bright future ahead of her...

Jan 10 - 03:36 PM

Stewart Hoffman

Stewart Hoffman

My initial comment wasn't meant in any way to criticize her performance. She was certainly the best thing in that movie for me - I otherwise didn't really care for it. I believe this nomination was purely done to generate headlines and buzz for Oscar night, and less about her actual performance. Which is a shame ? but, hey, this is the Oscars and their credibility is suspect. I should probably calm down, enjoy the show and try not to think about it too much.

Jan 10 - 04:26 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I agree with you Stewart, I've just seen to many kid actors capable of acting like children in front of the camera. Do I think she created Hush puppy from scratch? No, not at all. I don't think there is a difference between Hushpuppy and Ms. Wallace. I do agree though that the film is almost unwatchable if not for the adorable and fierce Hushpuppy.

Jan 11 - 07:57 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

im am so upset about leo not getting nominated, there is still the golden globes though.

Jan 10 - 03:41 PM

NasheemTDK

Nasheem khabir

They need to give him the golden globe for not giving him the oscar or at lest a nod.

Jan 10 - 04:05 PM

Samuel D.

Samuel Deitz

Ok, obviously he should have been nominated for best supporting actor but the academy awards seriously hate leo for some reason, maybe its because he doesn't over promote himself and keeps a more private life, as far as it being arguably his best performance of his career, it may be in the bottom half of the top ten, just some other better roles "what's eating gilbert grape" "catch me if you can" "Gangs of New York" "Blood Diamond" the list goes on and on

Jan 11 - 10:54 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

ahh shut up you tool

Jan 10 - 03:42 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Wreck-It Ralph for Best Animation, The Hobbit for best makeup, The Avengers for best effects, The Longest Daycare for short film, Skyfall for best song, and Lincoln for best director, best picture, and best costume.

Jan 10 - 03:50 PM

Sam Steel

Sam Steel

I think we can all agree that if the hobbit loses to les mis in makeup, it was a shun...

Jan 10 - 04:25 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

That's probably is true... I would at least like to see The Hobbit win one award.

Jan 10 - 04:45 PM

Lucas Brodsky

Lucas Brodsky

My guess is that Best Picture will go to either Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty ( The others might have a good shot I just think those 2 have the best chance. ).

Jan 10 - 03:51 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

100%

Jan 10 - 03:59 PM

Jack T.

Jack Telfon

I'm glad The Invisible War was nominated, but disappointed Paul Thomas Anderson is no where to be seen. The Master and Django Unchained deserved more nominations, Les Mis and Silver Linings Playbook deserved less. Leo once again ignored unfortunately. And honestly, you have 1 extra slot open for best picture and don't nominate The Master? That's pretty lame.

Jan 10 - 04:00 PM

NasheemTDK

Nasheem khabir

Jan 10 - 04:05 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

Glad to see Argo, Django and Skyfall getting love. I like how Skyfall managed to edge past blockbusters like Avengers and TDKR for technical awards. Deserves it. :D

Jan 10 - 04:16 PM

Sam Steel

Sam Steel

A quick look through the best picture winners of each year indicates that the acadamy prefer films that play like a book.

I guess that is what white American men over 50 (The vast majoraty of the acadamy) like.

Jan 10 - 04:22 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Like a book"? Oh, you mean a novel, like a literate story with themes and meaning and developed characters and such? Because, I presume, black women like Toni Morrison and Alice Walker had nothing to do with those.

Jan 10 - 05:15 PM

Looper totally snubbed?

Jan 10 - 04:32 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday