2013 Academy Awards Nominations

Summary

Nominations for the 85th Academy Awards® were announced by the show's host, Seth MacFarlane, and actress Emma Stone on Thursday, January 10. This was the first time since 1972 that an Oscar show host has participated in the nominations announcement. Back to Article

Comments

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

NO LEO FOR BEST ACTOR?? NO AFFLECK FOR BEST DIRECTOR?? NOT LOOPER AT ALL?? I hate critics sometimes

Jan 10 - 06:54 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

More a accurately, the academy. critics loved those films.

Jan 10 - 06:59 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Kathryn Bigelow got robbed, for sure. The contreversy surrounding ZDT seriously hurt its nominations.

Jan 10 - 06:55 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Heil, heil!

Jan 10 - 08:43 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Your comments are annoying. Get over yourself. Zero Dark Thirty isn't propaganda.

Jan 13 - 12:34 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

LOL, it is propaganda you lemming. But, you've already made up your mind and drank the fucking kool-aid, so whatever.

Jan 13 - 11:13 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yep, he's the lemming and drank the Kool-aid from the guy who told me last week "you're not going to change my mind on this." Just because your idea is wackier doesn't make the fall off the cliff any less steep. Is it at least possible that ZDT is a really good movie that you just don't agree with the premise of? Cause it's got an awfully high rating from the liberal critics to be as blatantly fascist as you make it out to be.

Jan 13 - 04:30 PM

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

I do thing the Academy has something against Leo

Jan 10 - 06:55 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

I don't He's been in like 5 or 6 Best Picture Nominees

Jan 10 - 07:25 AM

Tyler Capeta

Tyler Capeta

^^^ erm. Yer kidding right?

Jan 10 - 07:30 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Um The Departed, Titanic, Inception, Etc.

Jan 10 - 08:01 AM

Craig Carruthers

Craig Carruthers

J. Edgar was garbage, but he should've been nominated for Django

Jan 10 - 09:04 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

For the record, Leo has been nominated for an Oscar three times; Of his films, The Titanic, The Departed, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and Inception were all nominated/won Best Picture.

(let me know if I left anything out)

Jan 10 - 09:05 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

I don't think he should've unfortunately the movie underused him at the end i don't think Waltz deserved it this year either and no zach I believe that's it

Jan 10 - 10:11 AM

Ivan Cheung

Ivan Cheung

also Leo was the main actor in all 5 best pic nominees. Django brings his total to 6

Jan 10 - 01:00 PM

Jeremy M.

Jeremy Mitchell

You lefy out "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and I still think his best performance of his career and his first (of many) missed Oscar's.

Jan 10 - 02:56 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

ahh shut up you tool

Jan 10 - 03:42 PM

Stephen Dias

Stephen Dias

If you want to bring up Leo, try to stay away from Inception

Jan 13 - 09:50 PM

Paul McKee

Paul McKee

Why is everyone forgetting Basketball Diaries. Some of his best work in his career along with Whats Eating Gilbert Grape.

Jan 19 - 08:12 PM

Eoghan Christie

Eoghan Christie

He was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for "What's Eating Gilbert Grape".

Jan 11 - 11:11 AM

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

I KNOW!!!

Jan 10 - 06:55 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

True, not that I really expected the academy to recognize that.

Jan 10 - 06:56 AM

Emanuel Salas

Emanuel Salas

I haven't seen this movie yet ,but I can expect a good work coming from this talented director. I don't remember any bad movie by this guy. Wich brings me to the question... what kind of shananigans is Joaquin is gonna come up with in case he loses/wins.

Jan 11 - 11:22 PM

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

is more than that, I really enjoyed Moonrise

Jan 10 - 06:57 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

You have a good point with Russel - Affleck and Bigelow lost nominations, although I'm fine with Zeitlin getting a nod.

Jan 10 - 06:57 AM

Asia P.

Asia Pla

The Hobbit is one of the best movies I've seen. Why did they forget about Hobbit? It should be nominated in many categories. I'm very disapointed, they deserve more Oscars :( Richard Armitage or Martin Freeman are the best supporting actors

Jan 10 - 06:58 AM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

I thought Richard Armitage did a terrible job, or maybe it was what he was given. "The Hobbit" is good, but it's not great. There are more flaws than you think

Jan 10 - 07:07 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Eh the Hobbit had serious pacing issues, if Jackson would have trimmed instead of indulging his need for a 3 hour film I have a feeling it would be up there.

Jan 10 - 11:00 AM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I agree. The Hobbit was possibly my favorite movie of the year. It's highly underrated.

Jan 10 - 12:13 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

My advice: watch more movies. The Hobbit didn't even crack my top 10 of the year... and there are still 4 or 5 movies I didn't get to see that I am positive are better than The Hobbit.

Jan 10 - 12:19 PM

Brandon Little

Brandon Little

The Hobbit was average. Visually stunning, pacing was crap. The Hobbit is the prime example of why books-to-movies need to leave certain things out. Gage is accurate.

Jan 10 - 04:52 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

That should've came last year with ROTPOTA.

Jan 10 - 06:58 AM

Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson

i cant believe the master isn't nominated for best cinematorgaphy

Jan 10 - 06:58 AM

Will Morrow

Will Morrow

Great point. One of the most visually stunning picture of the year, without doubt. Try to see it in 70mm if possible.

Jan 10 - 09:01 AM

Daniel O'Raw

Daniel O'Raw

too right, a major mistake.

Jan 10 - 09:47 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I'm disappointed Johnny Greenwood's score was overlooked. Best score of the year.

Jan 10 - 10:15 AM

Ian Lerch

Ian Lerch

I didn't even think about Greenwood! That does suck. Was he not eligible again like "There Will Be Blood", maybe?

Jan 10 - 11:53 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Actually, my favorite score was from BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD, but that got snubbed TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 11 - 06:33 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

More a accurately, the academy. critics loved those films.

Jan 10 - 06:59 AM

Andy Wyatt

Andy Wyatt

Say whatever you want about Wes Anderson being pretentious, but Silver Linings Playbook exists solely for the purpose of winning Oscars and lacked any sort of feeling that isn't shrinkwrapped and made totally PC in order to appease the Academy. Moonrise, Zero Dark Thirty, Django, and Argo are filmmaking for the purpose of telling a daring story unlike the soft-core Silver Linings.

Jan 10 - 07:04 AM

David Arias

David Arias

Amen!

Jan 10 - 08:20 AM

David M.

David McKenna

Saying a movie exists only to win Oscars is the most pretentious thing a critic can say. You have to pretty much recognize that its so good that it should win Oscars and then re-invision that point as a flaw.

Jan 10 - 08:40 AM

Ben Kelsey

Ben Kelsey

That is a fact, there is more imagination and feeling in any 15 min of Moonrise then there is in all of Silver Linings...in my opinion

Jan 10 - 09:09 AM

Andy Wyatt

Andy Wyatt

I'm saying that there are certain sure-fire characteristics that Oscar voters typically reward movies for (very PC plotlines, safe bets for casting, lite representation of major problems) and that certain filmmakers make movies that way for Oscar bait. My criticism of Silver Linings is that the filmmakers chose to play it safe in order to obtain popular appeal rather than take risks and be potentially controversial, which the movies I listed did. I don't think Silver Linings should win anything- I'm merely saying that it followed the Academy's predictable criteria for winners almost exactly.

Jan 10 - 09:12 AM

Kyle McLarty

Kyle McLarty

amen

Jan 10 - 11:20 AM

Ivan Cheung

Ivan Cheung

in terms of film making skills Silver lining's Playbook was the weakest of the best pic nominees.

Jan 10 - 01:02 PM

Nick Shaw

Nick Shaw

Wow seriously people? I loved Silver Linings. If anything is oscar bait, it's Lincoln.

Jan 10 - 06:07 PM

JD Shippel

JD Shippel

No one makes movies solely to win an oscar, however you may think. I loved the hell out of Silver Linings, and don't see it as oscar bait at all. Lincoln would be much more of that type of film.

Jan 10 - 08:19 PM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

Kind of disappointed Javier Bardem wasn't nominated for Best Supporting Actor in "Skyfall"

Jan 10 - 07:05 AM

Danny Alex

Danny Alex

True, Javier did a great performance.

Jan 10 - 07:24 AM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

Jan 10 - 07:07 AM

Danny Alex

Danny Alex

I'm so dissapointed with this nominations.
Skayfall was an amazing movie and The Dark Knight even if it wasn't like the 2nd one still being a great movie.

Jan 10 - 07:07 AM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

"Skyfall" is one of the best James Bond movies ever, but I can see why it is getting a bit of a shrug off for a lot of nominations. If anything, "Casino Royale" should've been nominated for tons of things back in 2006. But it didn't, and I feel "Skyfall" is right up there with it

Jan 10 - 07:18 AM

Brandon Little

Brandon Little

It was good, but not on the level of the best pictures this year. Any other year it might be up there, but this year was particularly strong movie-wise.

Jan 10 - 04:53 PM

Danny Alex

Danny Alex

I just jope Quvenzhané Wallis win the Oscar, if not, her nomination will be a waste.

Jan 10 - 07:10 AM

Joshua Veverka

Joshua Veverka

She shouldnt, unless screaming, flexing and having an expressionless face is worth of an acting oscar.

Jan 14 - 09:11 AM

Daniel Morawitz

Daniel Morawitz

No love for Batman? :(

Jan 10 - 07:10 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

It's the move the academy doesn't want, but the movie the academy needs

Jan 10 - 09:02 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Typical Academy, steering clear of anything "controversial." They didn't want to come near the Aurora shooting, so they ignored Dark Knight Rises. The Academy almost always plays it safe.

Jan 10 - 09:35 AM

Daniel O'Raw

Daniel O'Raw

or maybe cos DKR wasn't that great.

Jan 10 - 09:47 AM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

100%

Jan 10 - 03:59 PM

Jordan Ochonueve

Jordan Ochonueve

It was so bad the movie didn't get a nomination for sound or cinematography? I'm not saying it should have gotten a nom for film or anything but lack of the technical awards surprises me.

Jan 10 - 04:55 PM

Jason Cook

Jason Cook

TDKR was a great film but it's anti left messages and anti Obama messages were way to clear for the far left hollywood to just let go. Add in the shooting and TDKR got screwed. It's a shame because it was supposed to be the number ten movie on the best picture list via as AFI gave TDKR the last spot on the list. AFI also ranked TDKR the best film of the year.

Jan 10 - 09:44 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

They nominated Avengers for technical awards but not TDKR... does that sound even like a remote notion of quality?

Jan 12 - 08:42 AM

Observation 99

Observation 99

The "DKR was snubbed because it hates Obama!" guy is full of it, but The Dark Knight Rises was a worthy entry into the series that deserved every bit of the 87% approval it got.
But after The Dark Knight, it's only mildly surprising that the academy would snub it a single entry. A quality film about "superheroes" taking prestigous nods away from The Reader and Les Miserables? Not on their watch!

Jan 16 - 11:16 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Surprises : No Leo or Fassbender nominations and no Ben Affleck for best director biggest snub ever probably. Pleasant surprises Seth MacFarlane Bradley Cooper and Avengers getting nominated for the win

Jan 10 - 07:13 AM

Daniel O'Raw

Daniel O'Raw

Leo and Fassbender will get their day, Fassbender is brilliant in everything. Wow I forgot about the Avengers.

Jan 10 - 09:48 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

It's ultimately forgettable.

Jan 10 - 10:16 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

What is it people are saying Fassbender is getting snubbed for? Last year yeah he got snubbed big time but what is deserving of praise from him this year?

Jan 11 - 08:01 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Haven't seen Silver Lining yet, was Cooper really that good? Not saying he couldn't be, just saying I didn't see it coming based on his past work.

Jan 10 - 05:06 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Best thing he's been in, but I wouldn't call it Oscar-worthy.

Jan 10 - 05:12 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I always wonder about that. With the exceptions of Tom Hanks and Leo DiCaprio I've never really watched a movie and found somebodies performance that much of a revelation. Like McConaughey this year. I saw Magic Mike which has been getting a ton of praise for his performance in and I just saw the guy from Dazed and Confused as a stripper. I think he even did the "Alright, alright, alright" a couple of times.

Jan 10 - 06:37 PM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

With the exceptions of Tom Hanks or Leo? Have you've ever seen a Daniel Day Lewis movie? Have you ever watched Rain Man (hoffman) or Inglorious Bastereds (waltz)? What about Capote? You should watch a few more films, Hanks looks amateur compares to people like Day Lewis.

Jan 11 - 01:12 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I've seen all those movie's and what I meant was no one has been a revelation as an actor like someone I thought of as a comedian or subpar actor who just out of the blue blew me away. I fully knew DDL was a genius the first time I saw him (Can't remember if it was My Left Foot or Last of the Mohicans), Dustin Hoffman was a legend before I was born, Waltz I'd never seen him in anything else before. What I meant was I always thought of Tom Hanks as the guy from The Money Pit or Bachelor Party and then he started making movies like Philadelphia and Forrest Gump and it was jarring how good he was dramatically, DiCaprio I remembered as a Tiger Beat kid and then BAM Gangs of New York and Man in the Iron Mask. I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but those are the two that come most readily to mind. Maybe Robin Williams, John C Reilly and Jeremy Renner would be other examples. Actors who I had set in my mind who totally changed it out of the blue with game changing performances.

Jan 13 - 04:40 PM

JD Shippel

JD Shippel

I was a bit surprised but Cooper was exceptional. He and Lawrence were great, the whole cast really.

Jan 10 - 08:23 PM

Joshua Veverka

Joshua Veverka

Cooper and Lawrence were good. Watch that back to back with the Master and you may have a different opinion on what is exceptional.

Jan 14 - 09:14 AM

David Munoz

David Munoz

Bradley Cooper was ridiculous. Completely unexpected considering his earlier work, but definitely a great surprise and change of pace for him. Hopefully we'll be seeing more serious dramatic roles from him in the future (which, if Place Beyond the Pines is any indication, we will). In a year when a Daniel Day-Lewis movie does not come out (so, most years) Bradley Cooper wins this award hands-down. I've seen Les Misérables, Flight, The Master, and Lincoln, and this is exactly the field I would have chosen. But I honestly think Cooper had the best performance of any of the five. But maybe that's just because of low expectations given his earlier work.

Jan 12 - 06:59 PM

Joshua Veverka

Joshua Veverka

Do you honestly think Cooper was better than Phoenix or DDL?

Jan 14 - 09:15 AM

Wicky Djj

Wicky Djj

Injustice! Leo should have been nominated

Jan 10 - 07:17 AM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

Jan 10 - 07:18 AM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies