2013 Academy Awards Nominations

Summary

Nominations for the 85th Academy Awards® were announced by the show's host, Seth MacFarlane, and actress Emma Stone on Thursday, January 10. This was the first time since 1972 that an Oscar show host has participated in the nominations announcement. Back to Article

Comments

Johnny Lau

Johnny Lau

Very happy about Michael Haneke's "Amour" can gain so many nominations. It will be better if Jean-Louis Trintignant can be a nominee for Best Actor. And the academy recognize independent films such as "Amour" and "Beasts of the Southern Wild". :)

Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" gets snubbed. :(

Jan 10 - 07:24 AM

Danny Alex

Danny Alex

True, Javier did a great performance.

Jan 10 - 07:24 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

I don't He's been in like 5 or 6 Best Picture Nominees

Jan 10 - 07:25 AM

Tyler Capeta

Tyler Capeta

^^^ erm. Yer kidding right?

Jan 10 - 07:30 AM

Smartx MU

Smartx MU

echoing the grudges,the master isnt in the best picture ? And pta as best director ? her movie got the nod for best picture, but bigelow's not in ? Just like ben afleck ? shocking...truly shocking

Jan 10 - 07:25 AM

Chris W.

Chris Wolff

The worst Best Director nomination list of all time.

Jan 10 - 07:26 AM

Tyler Massingale

Tyler Massingale

True, Ben Ffleck, Kathryn Bigelow, and Quiten Tarantino disevered to be nominated!!! not David O. Russell, Michael Haneke, or Benh Zeitlin!!

Jan 10 - 08:10 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Have you seen any of their films? Then hush up...BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD was awesome!

Jan 10 - 08:28 AM

Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

I agree, but have you ever thought that we just say that because the mainstream names everyone knows didn't get nominated?

Jan 10 - 08:28 AM

Jackson Eckert

Jackson Eckert

I've seen all of these films minus ZDT (that is, until tomorrow), and I have to say that The Academy had to make some pretty tough choices. Benh Zeitlin definitely deserves a nomination, but the fact that Ben Affleck isn't on this list is shocking. His work as a director has been at a consistently high level for years now, and many would agree with me in saying that Argo was his best work yet. These are all great directors who have made great films throughout the last year, but unfortunately there are only so many slots for the Oscar nomination. Sad, in some respects, but understandable.

Jan 10 - 08:55 AM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

I feel that other than Moonrise and The Master, Robot & Frank was the most underappreciated film of the year....hands down. Did anyone even see it?

Jan 10 - 09:19 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Affleck isn't that good of a director. He makes solid entertainment, yes, but there's nothing too distinctive about his directing style.

Jan 10 - 09:32 AM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

I agree, Affleck definitely lacks style....he's no PTA, QT or Wes....but the Town was really done well, one of the most realistic car chase scenes i've ever seen. He's good, but I agree, he's not great.

Jan 10 - 10:05 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Some of the users said "The Town" has similarities to "Heat" directed by Michael Mann!

Jan 10 - 01:13 PM

Dave J

Dave J

And speaking of "Zero Dark Thirty" there's a great discussion on Charlie Rose about the film's accuracy of "Zero Dark Thirty" which it's been described as docu-drama and and as a drama on the first half hour as well as the accuracy of "Argo" on the second half today at 2:00 PM Seattle time on Charlie Rose- I think movie fanatics ought to check it out!

Jan 10 - 01:31 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think Affleck has a very distinctive style, it's called making excellent movie's. I could very easily watch Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo and tell you they were directed by the same guy. His style isn't as flashing as a PT Anderson or a Quentin Tarantino, but for me he has a much better range than either of those two. QT and PT can only make Tarantino or Anderson movie's. Affleck can do anything.

Jan 10 - 04:57 PM

Ami Saraiya

Ami Saraiya

Agreed, Gone Baby Gone is definitely Affleck's best movie. A well executed portrayal of a very complex moral issue. I didn't feel the same about Argo or The Town - he seemed to follow a typical hollywood formula for both of these films. They weren't terrible, but after Gone Baby Gone I think just expected more.

Jan 11 - 07:23 PM

Chad Langen

Chad Langen

Ben Affleck got screwed. Gone Baby Gone was magnificent and he should have won best director for that movie. Same with Argo.

Jan 11 - 05:54 AM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Agreed.....I thought The Town should have been up for more nominations as well. In my opinion, ZDT was mediocre at best, Hurt Locker was far superior. This year, compare ZDT to The Master or Moonrise Kingdom...or even Skyfall. Those 3 all deserved nominations over ZDT. ZDT just does not represent the art of filmaking. Yes, the last 40 minutes were great, they were...but, it just lacked something. Argo just did such a better job than ZDT, loved Argo, it was great work...not into ZDT at all. We all knew what was going to happen in both of those films, but yet Argo kept you on edge and ZDT was just so predictable and droll.

Jan 11 - 10:08 AM

Vyom Nautiyal

Vyom Nautiyal

Funny how all the best supporting actor nominees have all already won Oscars before...

Jan 10 - 07:27 AM

Tyler Capeta

Tyler Capeta

^^^ erm. Yer kidding right?

Jan 10 - 07:30 AM

Steven S.

Steven Scott

So The Dark Knight Rises gets no nominations, but Snow White and the Huntsman does? And just as an add on I'm fine with the rest!

Jan 10 - 07:31 AM

Eldest2005

Christopher Aull

I agree. I'm really disappointed that TDKR didn't get a single nomination when SWatH and even Mirror Mirror did. That's just utter BS.

Jan 10 - 07:59 AM

Susy Schwatz

Susy Schwatz

I agree too. Mirror mirror and SWatH are basically painful to watch. I mean, ok, SWatH had some nice animated deer and trees but it's not Oscar material.

Jan 10 - 03:00 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Special Effects wise that Troll scene in SWaTH was pretty awesome even if the rest of the movie sans Theron was a disappointment.

Jan 10 - 05:09 PM

Nick C.

Nick Clavette

Again, they blew off Christopher Nolan a nomination for Best Director. Why?! He was fantastic directing The Dark Knight Rises

Jan 10 - 07:31 AM

WS S.

WS Shannon

No he wasn't. TDKR was filled with plot holes and inconsistencies, despite good action scenes and some drama. It definitely wasn't Best Director worthy like The Dark Knight was.

Jan 10 - 08:28 AM

Mark Burdette

Mark Burdette

TDKR was a terrible film. The scene between Catwoman and Daggett where the "Clean Slate" is being obnoxiously overly simplified for the audience alone makes this flick Razzie-worthy. And the action scenes really weren't great. All the extras play-fighting during all the final scenes were so distracting and laughable.

Jan 10 - 10:07 AM

Dave J

Dave J

I don't know some of those scenes were conveniently identicle to "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" and theirs obviously a direct correalation with all three films!

And to say it deserves a "Razzie" in comparison to Burton's Batman films makes Nolans third film a masterpiece since in Burton's version Batman didn't need an introduction to the character at all whatsoever since it's assumed that because he's already in comic books that he didn't really need one- now that's pretentious!

Jan 10 - 01:23 PM

Jason Cook

Jason Cook

LOL, there was not one plot hole in the entire DKR film. TDKR was a great film other wise it would have nevee won the AFI best picture award which carries much more prestige over this joke of an award. TDKR was never going to get a nom for best picture anyway. I mean one it was based on a comic book film and the other because of the shooting.

Jan 10 - 09:49 PM

Zane M.

Zane Morrow

Theres no Ben Affleck for best director or Katharine Bigelow but Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook are in for Best Director so I will be fine with those two they fit in good.

Jan 10 - 07:32 AM

Pablo Urbina

Pablo Urbina

What is the world coming to? Quentin Tarantino and Ben Affleck have NOT been nominated for Best Director????? I haven't seen Argo, but it looks phenomenal.

Leonardo DiCaprio is snubbed YET again! WHAT IS UP WITH THAT??????

Jan 10 - 07:36 AM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Wtf are you talking about guy, Jessica Chastain is 100% gonna win, you can count on that

Jan 10 - 07:44 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Agreed.

Jan 10 - 05:00 PM

JD Shippel

JD Shippel

He apparently missed the fact that Jessica is the frontrunner.

Jan 10 - 08:20 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

I just wish she would win for another movie. I'm rooting for Wallis, so whatever.

Jan 11 - 12:33 PM

Fareed Kairon

Fareed Kairon

Paul Thomas Anderson
Christopher Nolan
Ben Affleck
Kathryn Bigelow
Quentin Tarentino

That is what best director should look like!! The actual nominees are alright, though most of these movies won't be the ones I'll think about when I think 2012. Films like Django Unchained and The Dark Knight Rises. Love 'em or hate 'em, we're gonna remember those.

Jan 10 - 07:51 AM

Prithvi Chowdhury

Prithvi Chowdhury

The Academy had a choice: Either make it super exciting for us, or, make it really easy for them to vote. They chose the latter.

Jan 10 - 11:48 AM

Eldest2005

Christopher Aull

Jan 10 - 07:59 AM

Susy Schwatz

Susy Schwatz

Jan 10 - 03:00 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 10 - 05:09 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Um The Departed, Titanic, Inception, Etc.

Jan 10 - 08:01 AM

Craig Carruthers

Craig Carruthers

J. Edgar was garbage, but he should've been nominated for Django

Jan 10 - 09:04 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

For the record, Leo has been nominated for an Oscar three times; Of his films, The Titanic, The Departed, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and Inception were all nominated/won Best Picture.

(let me know if I left anything out)

Jan 10 - 09:05 AM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

I don't think he should've unfortunately the movie underused him at the end i don't think Waltz deserved it this year either and no zach I believe that's it

Jan 10 - 10:11 AM

Ivan Cheung

Ivan Cheung

also Leo was the main actor in all 5 best pic nominees. Django brings his total to 6

Jan 10 - 01:00 PM

Jeremy M.

Jeremy Mitchell

You lefy out "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and I still think his best performance of his career and his first (of many) missed Oscar's.

Jan 10 - 02:56 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

ahh shut up you tool

Jan 10 - 03:42 PM

Stephen Dias

Stephen Dias

If you want to bring up Leo, try to stay away from Inception

Jan 13 - 09:50 PM

Paul McKee

Paul McKee

Why is everyone forgetting Basketball Diaries. Some of his best work in his career along with Whats Eating Gilbert Grape.

Jan 19 - 08:12 PM

Saetre

Saetre Saetre

No Looper for Best Picture? Dayum shayum.

Jan 10 - 08:02 AM