2013 Academy Awards Nominations

Summary

Nominations for the 85th Academy Awards® were announced by the show's host, Seth MacFarlane, and actress Emma Stone on Thursday, January 10. This was the first time since 1972 that an Oscar show host has participated in the nominations announcement. Back to Article

Comments

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

It's like the academy goes out of it's way not to nominate Ben Afflack... *Thought bubble pops up that he already has an oscar oooo yeah.....

Jan 10 - 09:03 AM

Will Morrow

Will Morrow

That would be a shame. A nice movie, but nothing truly special. I like Django, Master, and Silver Linings much better.

Jan 10 - 09:04 AM

Craig Carruthers

Craig Carruthers

J. Edgar was garbage, but he should've been nominated for Django

Jan 10 - 09:04 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

For the record, Leo has been nominated for an Oscar three times; Of his films, The Titanic, The Departed, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and Inception were all nominated/won Best Picture.

(let me know if I left anything out)

Jan 10 - 09:05 AM

Ben Kelsey

Ben Kelsey

That is a fact, there is more imagination and feeling in any 15 min of Moonrise then there is in all of Silver Linings...in my opinion

Jan 10 - 09:09 AM

Mate M.

Mate Milić

No Leo for best supporting actor, no Affleck for directing, no Avengers for music, no Dark Knight Rises anywhere, Les Miserables for best movie?!?!?! Am I the only one or Academy Awards is really so conservative that blockbusters like Skyfall and Avengers are snubbed in order to push Life of Pi, Lincoln, Django and Beasts. I don't have anything about those movies, but Skyfall and Avengers have better reviews than those movies and from a lot more critics!!!

Jan 10 - 09:09 AM

Shin Charli

very very many people say that the Avengers had edli most overrated film of the year, the only flaw in this list is the absence of Ben Affleck and Leonardo DiCaprio instead Arkin

Jan 10 - 09:16 AM

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

Aside from being the most overrated and possibly most disappointing film of the year (for me at least), The Avengers's score felt phoned in. Nothing special about it whatsoever

Jan 10 - 09:20 AM

Shin Charli

that's it's nothing special, from a rating of 90%? nothing special, the usual komiksovoy film, children's story

Jan 10 - 09:46 AM

Shin Charli

it was a supporting role

Jan 10 - 09:11 AM

Andy Wyatt

Andy Wyatt

I'm saying that there are certain sure-fire characteristics that Oscar voters typically reward movies for (very PC plotlines, safe bets for casting, lite representation of major problems) and that certain filmmakers make movies that way for Oscar bait. My criticism of Silver Linings is that the filmmakers chose to play it safe in order to obtain popular appeal rather than take risks and be potentially controversial, which the movies I listed did. I don't think Silver Linings should win anything- I'm merely saying that it followed the Academy's predictable criteria for winners almost exactly.

Jan 10 - 09:12 AM

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

I wanted to see Looper in some category, not a big one, but at least on something, and again, WHERE IS AFFLECK?? hate the academy sometimes

Jan 10 - 09:14 AM

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

Jaris Dominguez Padilla

I think Waltz deserved the nomination, but Leo too

Jan 10 - 09:14 AM

Jan 10 - 09:16 AM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

I feel that other than Moonrise and The Master, Robot & Frank was the most underappreciated film of the year....hands down. Did anyone even see it?

Jan 10 - 09:19 AM

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

Jan 10 - 09:20 AM

Jan 10 - 09:46 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Waltz was good, perhaps just as good. But they should have nominated both, then.

Jan 10 - 09:22 AM

Alan Halfhill

Alan Halfhill

Where is Moonrise Kingdom? This years best picture. Why Beasts?

Jan 10 - 09:26 AM

Shin Charli

Why 9 movies instead of 10, if there were 10 that the kingdom would fall exactly in the list

Jan 10 - 09:42 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

That missing slot is what makes the omission of "Master" and "Moonrise" such an insult.

Jan 10 - 10:31 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

The way the Academy has set up the nominations is any film that gets at least 5% of the Best Picture votes. Apparently neither of those films did.

Jan 10 - 01:48 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Have you seen BEASTS? It's phenomenal!

Jan 10 - 01:21 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Meh

Jan 10 - 05:00 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Gage I've seen you post in a lot of threads and have thought "Man I don't think I've ever agreed with this guy" but Meh on BEASTS is the most agreeable thing I've read all day. It's like the biggest MEH film of the year!

Jan 11 - 08:06 PM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

i think jamie foxx, leo dicaprio and samuel L. Jackson all deserved nominations .. they were all great in Django Unchained, easily one of the most well made films of 2012 ... and no nominations for TDKR and only one for Avengers? something is seriously wrong with the academy .. the only film that god enough recognition that i really loved was Django Unchained and even still was missing recognition for several other actors in that film ... at least Christopher Waltz got a nomination

Jan 10 - 09:26 AM

Shin Charli

That's right, this year is very strong male supporting actor and DiCaprio had to get on this list, at least, instead Arkin although it is good and has been a great Jackson and Goodman really hard vybirat.esli Waltz wins I'll jump to the ceiling joy, he was also incredible in this role

Jan 10 - 09:52 AM

Caleb P.

Caleb Paasche

It makes me sad that Dark Knight Rises couldn't grab at least a few technical nominations, I loved the film. Also, No Affleck for director? I thought Argo was great and he definetly deserved it. Zero Dark Thirty hasn't come to my town yet .so can't comment on Bigelow

Jan 10 - 09:28 AM

Lukas Krycek

Lukas Krycek

Remember when The Dark Knight was snubbed at the Oscars and everybody was pissed about it? So the academy decided to put 10 films in the best picture category? So why are there 9 films and one of them is Les Miserable? No love for Skyfall :(

Jan 10 - 09:29 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday