2013 Academy Awards Nominations

Summary

Nominations for the 85th Academy Awards® were announced by the show's host, Seth MacFarlane, and actress Emma Stone on Thursday, January 10. This was the first time since 1972 that an Oscar show host has participated in the nominations announcement. Back to Article

Comments

nujerzdeep

Deep MusIQ

How can John Hawkes' performance go unnoticed? Imo it was the best male performance of 2012. And wtf is up with the director nominations? What a joke. I think I lost all of the little respect I had for them.

Jan 10 - 10:16 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

It's ultimately forgettable.

Jan 10 - 10:16 AM

Vinayaka Bhat

Vinayaka Bhat

Do the academy neglect "Quentin Torantino's work" ???
and nothing for Ben Afflex and Bigelow ???
I think Hellen Mirren deserved atleast a nomination...

Jan 10 - 10:17 AM

Dustyn and the Movies

Dustyn Dubuque

No John Hawkes? thats the biggest snub

Jan 10 - 10:18 AM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

I was surprised about the nominations especially for the directing category. Ben Affleck, Quentin Taratino, and Kathryn Bigelow all deserve to be on there. I pretty much agree with the other nominations. However, I wish TDKR would get a Visual Effects nomination. Finally, I thought Waltz was just a tad better than Leo in Django. It was a hard decision to make choosing between those two.

Jan 10 - 10:19 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

How old are you? "Master" was the most mature film I saw this year (yes, including the cynical "Amour"). Ben Affleck is a nice guy, n'all, but he's made no masterpieces. Some solid entertainment maybe (although "The Town" was dreadfully overrated).

Jan 10 - 10:28 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Good point. This changes everything I thought I knew about cinema.

Jan 10 - 10:29 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

That missing slot is what makes the omission of "Master" and "Moonrise" such an insult.

Jan 10 - 10:31 AM

El-fahl Milad

El-fahl Milad

they could add the master

Jan 10 - 10:40 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I think I'm the first person (damn, people, 4 pages in 6 hours?) to moan over the omission of "Holy Motors" in any of its relevent categories. Foreign Language is obvious, but they really should have given it a Song nomination over snotknob McFurtitty. I don't like this trend of the hosts being nominated in the same show they're hosting. It's bad enough the host can't be someone who's actually funny. Let's make it worse by bringing in karaoke extraordinaire over here. "Douche" is too good for him, because it implies some level of vaginal sympathy. He's more of a C-bag, a salty colonic, callus as corn shavings. (He's better suited for Bingo night is what I'm saying)

Jan 10 - 10:41 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Awesome! My only complaint as far as sins of omissions go is, believe it or not, Richard Gere for Best Actor in ARBITRAGE. I've always considered him a movie star, not an actor, with 3 exceptions: AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN, PRIMAL FEAR and ARBITRAGE; in the latter, he's never been better!

Jan 10 - 01:23 PM

William Muniz

William Muniz

Actually in 1999 Best Picture went to Shakespeare in Love and Best Director went to Steven Spielberg for Saving Private Ryan.

Jan 10 - 10:41 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

How Saving Private Ryan didn't win is beyond me... disgraceful.

Jan 10 - 12:18 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

How PLEASANTVILLE wasn't even nominated is beyond me; that was the best movie of 1998, hands down.

Jan 13 - 11:12 AM

CACB

Andrew Diakter

But Shakespeare in love had a nomination in Best Director category

Jan 10 - 03:20 PM

William Muniz

William Muniz

and in 2001 Gladiator won Best Picture and Steven Soderbergh won Best Director for Traffic. In 2003 Chicago won Best Picture and Roman Polansky won Best Director for The Pianist. In 2006 Ang Lee won Best Director for Brokeback Mountain and Crash won Best Picture.

Jan 10 - 10:46 AM

Kyle McLarty

Kyle McLarty

he said nominated.

Jan 10 - 11:22 AM

Dre M.

Dre M.

William, you missed my point. Wings, Grand Hotel and Driving Miss Daisy are the only Best Picture winners whose directors were not nominated in the Best Director category. It's a rarity for films to win Best Picture without a Best Director nomination.

Jan 10 - 11:32 AM

Cristian Barros

Cristian Barros

True, it is rare, but not impossible to achieve.

Jan 10 - 05:19 PM

Chad Langen

Chad Langen

Yeah and a few years back Katherine won for best picture with The Hurt Locker and James Cameron won best director for Avatar. It seems like they do that a lot.

Jan 11 - 05:57 AM

Alex C.

Alex Cuellar

To Chad Langen, James Cameron did not win Best Director for Avatar, Katherine definitely won both Best Picture and Best Director.

Jan 11 - 10:49 PM

Stephen Dias

Stephen Dias

Alex is correct

Jan 13 - 09:57 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

It's been such an amazing year for movies but I don't know, this all looks so Ho Hum to me. Am I getting to Old? The only thing I really hope wins is Invisible War for Best Documentary, the rest....meh.

Jan 10 - 10:49 AM

William Muniz

William Muniz

gladiator, crash, shakespeare in love, and chicago won best picture but not best director

Jan 10 - 10:54 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

But all their directors were at least nominated.

Jan 10 - 05:13 PM

Willem Krumich

Willem Krumich

Jennifer Lawrence should have this one in the bag. But maybe the foreign actress swoops in.

Jan 10 - 10:57 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I nominate Moonrise Kingdom in 'Movie most likely to make me change channel' category.

Jan 10 - 10:58 AM

David M.

David McKenna

I agree 100% ...It is probably the most overrated movie of the year! (That or Argo)

Jan 12 - 02:58 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer