—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Lincoln Lawyer Reviews

Eugene B

November 26, 2012
A magnificent courtroom drama/thriller that serves with the same extremities as the hammer of justice. The Lincoln Lawyer is mostly held up by the enigmatic performance from McConaughey as well as the supporting cast. With it's courtroom splendor and gritty thrills, the film is extraordinary. 4/5
Stuart B

December 25, 2010
Good adaptation of a great book, better than I would have expected and a sign of good things if the rest of the Mickey Haller books get made into movies. Now we just want to see a Harry Bosch movie.
Dean !

March 16, 2011
A stylish court room thriller, of which there haven't been enough good ones around for a long while. It does feel like a John Grisham adaptation, which is a big compliment. Although with some humour along the way. A good modern feel cast of stars handle it well and there are some nice twists along the way. If you like the more like this films, then snap this up quick!
Mark W

October 18, 2011
Court room drama's and legal jargon can be surprisingly gripping entertainment, which makes me wonder why there isn't more of them. Unfortunately, we've been fed a staple of John Grisham stories throughout the years which I find empty and do very little for me. But it was John Grisham adaptation "A Time to Kill" years ago that Matthew McConaughey was actually any good in a film. Until now.
L.A. criminal lawyer Mick Haller (McConaughey), who works out of his chauffeured Lincoln Continental car, takes on an unusually high-profile case defending Louis Roulet (Ryan Phillippe), the scion of a wealthy family who's accused of beating and raping a prostitute. There's clearly more to it than meets the eye though, and it may tie into a case Haller tried some years ago.
Slick, fast and cool. This starts with an energy that Grisham adaptations lack and it's good to see McConaughey drop those abysmal rom-coms and tackle a role more suited to his style. However, with such a strong opening and fast pace, it soon gets bogged down around the midway point and struggles to recover. McConaughey goes from confident and fast talking to angst ridden and desperate rather quickly. It's a sudden change that doesn't suit but McConaughey shows impressive range nonetheless. And just when he gets back to his old self, the denoument then feels rushed. His once strained relationship with his ex-wife becomes unrealistic and the whole affair is wrapped up rather quickly, leaving what was a very strong and potentially great film falling flat.
A good legal thriller that moves at a brisk pace with several twists and turns. It starts to eventually trip over itself and doesn't fulfill it's early promise but it just about manages to get by on McConaughey's charisma.
Ken S

March 16, 2011
McConaughey's best performance in years.
cosmo313
cosmo313

February 3, 2011
The Lincoln Lawyer is a courtroom drama/legal thriller based on a book (surprisingly not written by John Grisham) about an attorney named Mickey Haller who conducts his business from the back seat of his Lincoln Town Car. Most of his cases involve defending garden variety criminals until the potential opportunity of his career arrives when he is asked to represent a high profile playboy accused of brutally assaulting a woman. Things take a turn for the interesting, dangerous, and dramatic when details of this case begin to mirror those of a case involving a past client, and this new case turns out to be more than he may have wanted to deal with.

There's nothing really all that original or groundbreaking going on here, but I think that's why I liekd it. It's entertaining, straightforward, solid, and just plain good. It features tropes typical of this sort of thing, but it also avoids some by having a good story that gets work out in a way that's more plausible and less melodramatic than a lot of its contemporaries. Oh, there's twists and turns, but they work just fine.

What really makes this film a success is the cast and their performances. Matthew McConaughey gets a lot of flack, but his work here should rectify some of that. He does a good job, and his charisma and and personality really make the character interesting snd likeable. Here's to hoping he gets some more quality work like this in the future. There's a lot of notables in this one besides him, and, even though some have just bit parts and aren't seen for very long, they all do a good job, and it's kinda nice seeing lots of big names just show up for a bit, be solid then leave instead of overstaying their welcome. McConaughey has good chemistry with Tomei, Phillippe is passable as the iffy suspect, and Macy (despite looking like a bum) is fun to watch. I think I most liked the small but memorable performance from Trace Adkins who plays a gruff leader of a biker gang who's a repeat client of Haller's.

This isn't the most memorable film overall, but it makes for a good evening rental. It's got some depth with the characters, though I'm sure the book elaborates far more. That's okay though because this film doesn't connect all the dots for you, and I appreciate that. It's got a nice pacing, it's never boring, and, like I keep saying, it's just pretty solid all around.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 16, 2010
Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Marisa Tomei, Ryan Phillippe, William H. Macy, Josh Lucas, John Leguizamo, Michael Peña, Bob Gunton, Frances Fisher, Bryan Cranston

Director: Brad Furman

Summary: Tasked with defending rich lothario Louis Roulet, who's been charged with assault, lawyer Mick Haller finds himself and his family in danger when he deduces the truth behind this and former cases he's worked on.

My Thoughts: "THE LINCOLN LAWYER is a really smart drama. Matthew McConaughey is very good in these types of roles. The story, the acting, the suspense, all of it is really good in this movie. It has been a while since I have seen a suspense film that has been done as well as this film has been. It was really entertaining watching how it turned from a who-done-it type film and went in an entire different direction. The movie keeps your full attention from beginning to end and it definitely doesn't disappoint. The film has a great cast and I am glad to see Matthew McConaughey doing roles that really shows his talent. He was excellent in the film. I loved Marisa Tomei and William H. Macy in their roles as well. This is a film not to miss."
Matthew S

September 10, 2011
Our lawyer is really smart and interesting, but the plot only unfolds by the stupidity of our antagonist. Ludicrous, but intense entertainment.
Flutie A

February 9, 2011
Very good thriller, despite a slightly underwhelming ending. Not a horrible ending, just seemed like they might have had one last twist up their sleeve that never happened. Lots of shakycam, so beware if you don't like Bourne-style shooting. Check it out!
Carlos M

March 16, 2011
An entertaining crime thriller that is not very original but neither does it disappoint. The plot is pretty interesting, with the typical expected twists, and it has some good performances, except, of course, for Ryan Phillippe, who is mediocre and inexpressive as usual.
Kev
Kev

September 1, 2011
Grade: B+ (88%)

I have always liked court room films. From "A Few Good Men" to "My Cousin Vinny",I have seen them all. Going into "The Lincoln Lawyer" I did not have a high expectation. I thought it would be a cliche and keep me somewhat entertained. While "The Lincoln Lawyer" didn't bring anything new to the table, I was fully focused for the entire film.

Mickey Haller (Matthew McConaughey) is a defense lawyer who has low-life clients and his office is in his Lincoln car. He acts like a big shot and won't work for his clients unless he is paid first. So yes, Mickey is a pushover to a certain extent. But when a wealthy realtor Louis Roulet (Ryan Phillippe) is accused of assaulting a woman in her own house, Mickey has to use all of his power to save his client's life . . . and the people he loves. Suddenly the big case that could name his career becomes difficult through many plot twists with previous clients and Mickey's friends. When the movie doesn't revolve around the case, it follows Mickey's life with his ex-wife Maggie (Marisa Tomei) and his child. These scenes break up the court case so the movie is always fresh and interesting.

What "The Lincoln Lawyer" does so well is keeping the audience entertained. Matthew McConaughey in the leading role is great as Mickey. He plays the role pretty well and makes the audience believe that he actually knows what he is doing. The plot, while predictable, also keeps the audience entertained. While the twists and turns that "The Lincoln Lawyer" throws at the audience don't affect as much as they should, due to being cliches, the character's dialogue and what they do keep the film on its feet. Not for one second did I yawn or grow bored of this film. It may be a two hour film, but goes by fast.

"The Lincoln Lawyer" doesn't have famous speeches like what you see in "A Few Good Men" and no crazy opening statements from the defendant lawyer like "...And Justice For All", let's get that out of the way. The movie will not give any memorable scenes that will be remembered for years but that's why this film is good. It uses a formula that doesn't need to be changed because it still works. The acting is great, the storyline is unoriginal but very entertaining and some of the twists are predictable. "The Lincoln Lawyer" gives us a great court case with a solid ending and a solid performance from Matthew McConaughey.
Tyler C

August 23, 2011
Doesn't add a lot of new style to the courtroom genre and does run a bit long, but fantastic performances from the whole cast (especially Matthew McConaughey) and a solid script make this film one of the most entertaining dramas of the year.
blkbomb
blkbomb

August 23, 2011
Mick Haller: I checked the list of people I trust and your name ain't on it.

The Lincoln Lawyer is a solid courtroom drama from beginning to end. I don't know why I didn't expect much from this, but it ended up really surprising me. Matthew McConaughey gives a very good performance in a role he is really suited for. He plays lawyer Mick Haller who rolls around in a Lincoln and represents people who aren't winning any awards for being good citizens. He takes a case on a man who is accused of assault on a prostitute, but who claims to be innocent.

The film isn't anything too out of the ordinary, but is an above average and very entertaining movie. I do have a couple of little problems with the movie though. Firstly, I can't really stand Ryan Phillippe. It's not that I think he's a horrible actor, but something about him just really irritates me. The other thing that annoyed me isn't that big of a deal, but it is the bad soundtrack. Other then those two things I was fine with everything else, even William H. Macy's horrible appearance. Not his acting; that was fine, but literally, his appearance.

The Lincoln Lawyer is one of the better movies from the early part of this year. Matthew McConaughey makes the movie his and a solid supporting cast of William H. Macy, John Leguizamo, Marisa Tomei, Josh Lucas and Michael Pena help add to appeal. Yes, I'm leaving out Phillippe. I don't like him.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

August 21, 2011
Awesome film with plenty of suspense and just how crooked a lawyer can really be and still stay on top of his game. Its all about the Money SOMETIMES. 4 Stars
Thomas J

February 1, 2011
This is just the character written for Matthew McConaughey. Strong performances from the supporting cast makes this more bearable! A lot of wasted talent in this movie, but interesting none the less.
Anthony L

August 17, 2011
Return to form for Mr Matthew McConaughey! Maybe now he will leave those horrible rom-com scripts to one side for a while.
I thought The Lincoln Lawyer was a pretty good thriller. Underrated and overlooked, Brad Furman has made a seriously good film early on in his career. Highly recommended.
deano
deano

August 1, 2011
Seems like a long time ago, but it has been a drop in the ocean of eternity since John Grisham's jottings dominated courtroom thrillers.
Headlined by stellar casts gagging to hand down legal entertainment, The Firm, The Pelican Brief, The Client, A Time to Kill, The Chamber, The Rainmaker and The Gingerbread Man were released between 1993 and 1998.
No-one has come close to taking Grisham's crown, but enjoyable case The Lincoln Lawyer - based on the bestselling novel by Michael Connelly - is a welcome return to the days of matinée-idol legal eagles chewing through the sort of trials which TV has been owning.
Refreshingly clothed and without a romantic-comedy cornball in sight, Matthew McConaughey startles as the mobile smooth-talker who doesn't check all the angles when he agrees to defend a rich boy accused of attempted rape/murder.
Having tried for yonks to make us forget that his cocksure drawlery can actually compute as characterisation, not merely fill frames, McConaughey humdings here. Perhaps he remembered how good he was, more than a decade ago, playing a challenged lawyer in A Time to Kill.
With McConaughey getting the best of witty exchanges and the engrossing courtroom scenes, he's given room to move by his downplayed but generous colleagues. Marisa Tomei is better than being the ex-wife but, like William H. Macy's hirsute investigator, she backs off so McConaughey can serve notice of a franchise in the making, your honour.
Wildaly M

June 15, 2011
Well this was at least Matthew McConaughey's best film so far. There were some interesting, dramatic parts in this but nothing too spectacular.
familiar s

August 5, 2011
Not bad as long as you don't mind that you might remain two steps ahead of the protagonist in this courtroom thriller. While it was predictable, it's still enjoyable. Lots of people are applauding McConaughey's performance and I understand that his character was supposed to be stylized, but I found him a bit too overacting (not taking into consideration that he's posing as a lawyer). Rest of the cast is just about okay.
Christopher H

July 24, 2011
It does not reinvent the wheel as far as thrillers go, but Lincoln Lawyer is a very enjoyable one. The film is nearly flawless in story, dialogue, and casting. The film strongly benefits from Matthew McConaugheys powerhouse performance in the lead role. The rest of the films cast is also very solid. The story is very well written and executed. It story starts out slow but quickly becomes engrossing as the film progresses. The only flaw I can think of is that the film could have been more tightly paced in the last one-third. Nonetheless, Lincoln Lawyer adds up to a very good break from the films we usually get during the summer.