Exclusive: New Images From Robert Redford's Lions for Lambs

Five new photos from the Robert Redford/Tom Cruise drama.

After a seven year hiatus from the director's chair, Robert Redford returns in a big way with Lions for Lambs: he'll also be producing and acting in the political drama, co-starring Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise. RT has received exclusive photos for the film, opening everywhere November 2.

Redford stars as Dr. Malley, an esteemed professor who inspires two of his students to join the battle in Afghanistan. Cruise co-stars as Senator Jasper Irving, a charming presidential hopeful who's about to drop a bombshell to a inquisitive TV journalist (Streep) that could change the fate of everyone fighting in Afghanistan.

Early photos have emphasized the political drama aspect of Lions for Lambs (angry Tom Cruise sells tickets, after all), so it's easy to forget what the drama's all about: the soldiers fighting for survival in Afghanistan.  The picture below depicts Redford directing Derek Luke and Michael Pena, who play Malley's Afghan-stranded students, out in the field.

The film was written by Matthew Michael Carnahan, who recently scripted the similarly politically-minded The Kingdom. Click here for more exclusive photos for Lions for Lamb, which opens wide on November 2.

Comments

Metafact

Jane Holt

I'm having mixed feelings about this film. On one hand, it's directed by the guy who brought us Ordinary People and Quiz Show, and has an impressive cast.

On the other hand, I'm getting a little sick of Hollywood Bush-bashing, especially from someone who 'promised' us that he would leave the country if George Bush was re-elected.

Oct 1 - 12:39 PM

ZiGyStRdUsT

Carlos Monino

Honestly people are stupid for saying they would leave the country, and I agree it's kind of funny that the same republicans that where applauding the invasion of Iraq and it's occupation have all suddenly flip flopped and are bashing Bush. Still Bush does deserve a good deal of bashing and this looks to be an interesting movie, never seen cruise in this type of role.

Oct 1 - 01:43 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

I kind of think Tom Cruise as an Oval Office-hungry senator is inspired casting.

Oct 1 - 01:50 PM

YouAreAllCommunists

Thomas Kirk

Not even Kubrick could get any level of performance out of Tom Cruise, so Redford doesn't stand a chance.

Oct 1 - 02:42 PM

Metafact

Jane Holt

Did you ever see Born on the Fourth of July, Jerry Maguire, or Magnolia?

Oct 1 - 02:51 PM

YouAreAllCommunists

Thomas Kirk

I have not seen "Born of the Fourth of July."

I have seen "Jerry Maguire," and I found it mildly amusing but largely overrated. Perhaps some subtle elements of the picture simply went over my head or perhaps my distaste for Cruise tainted my appreciation of the picture.

I have seen "Magnolia" and enjoyed it very much. However, I found Cruise's performance to be the weakest of the film and found myself wishing that a more competent actor had been cast.

I will say this, I did enjoy Cruise's performances in "A Few Good Men" and "Collateral," but I would still have preferred other actors in those roles because I simply hate looking at Cruise's face for any extended period of time.

Oct 1 - 03:05 PM

Metafact

Jane Holt

Did you ever see Born on the Fourth of July, Jerry Maguire, or Magnolia?

Oct 1 - 02:51 PM

YouAreAllCommunists

Thomas Kirk

I have not seen "Born of the Fourth of July."

Oct 1 - 03:05 PM

YouAreAllCommunists

Thomas Kirk

I have not seen "Born of the Fourth of July."

Oct 1 - 03:05 PM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

If Robert Redford succeeds in anything, besides being a stupid COWARD who joins the "lets be a celebrity and HATE Bush, just because we can" wagon... it's only in making narcisstic Tom Cruise look EVEN MORE STUPID than what he looks like ordinarily--- by having that horrible hairstyle and dressing him up in a suit.

Where were all these ******* celebrities when Clinton was joking all around the country having affairs with FAT women? I'm sure the country is still divided upon HATING Bush the way the celebrities would like us to...
But, the one thing I feel the country could UNITE on, is if we could bash these narcisstic, self loving, democractic-party-asskissers and cheap demagogs like Robert Redford and his BUSH hating friends.
Yeah, the BUSH administration is NOT going to worship and lick the legs of Celebrity populace, the way the CLINTON administration regularly did. Get used to it. Move on.
BUSH WAS ELECTED TWICE FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.
IF it were possible for him to run a THIRD time, he would be elected AGAIN. Eat that.
America is NOT fed-up with Jeorge Bush. America is fed up with Robert Redford, and Meryl-Oscarhungry-Stryp and that Narcisstic-scientology-brainwashed/crazed Tom Cruise.

That's the truth, and like always it hurts.

Oct 1 - 03:34 PM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

Your thoughts have absolutly no substance and are like of the mind of a ten year old.
You ask where the celebrities were when Clinton was having an affair with Monica. That was the lamest excuse for your point. Who cares if Clinton was banging a fat intern?. That's his problem, It's not like he was not bringing down the nation, contrary to this president the is spending millions on a stupid war when he is supposed to spend more time securing this country against future attacks and trying to capture Bin ladin the real culprit for 9/11.

I am so sick of people bashing actors for their political views, this is a free country and they can speak whatever they want, it doesn't matter if their views are intelligent or stupid, so I say the same thing for you. Actors will always have a opinion, so suck it and get over yourself. As for Bush wining twice, remember that the firts elections he stole it and the second he won for spreading fear. Look at the polls now, people just don't believe him anymore. Now take your rattle and go see playhouse disney and let mature people talk will you?.

Oct 1 - 05:42 PM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

And I wonder what scientology-brainwashing-message-for-the-masses, Tom Cruise has implanted in this movie of his, between the lines--- after joining the "lets-hate-bush" wagon with that ugly-looking Robert Redford.

Oct 1 - 03:58 PM

wallstreet_jony

Jonathan Estrada

jeanpaul, I will hire you as my spokesperson. You said it perfectly.

Oct 1 - 04:10 PM

MaxRobert

Robert Arnborg

Well well well... I doubt it that Bush would get re-elected if he'd run for president again... he's at an all time low in the polls. I think he screwed things up a heck of a lot more than any other president has ever done, including Bill Clinton.

Oct 1 - 04:08 PM

wallstreet_jony

Jonathan Estrada

jeanpaul, I will hire you as my spokesperson. You said it perfectly.

Oct 1 - 04:10 PM

wallstreet_jony

Jonathan Estrada

The irony is that Bush would get re-elected if he were to run again. People would feel very uncomfortable with Clinton and/or Obama puting their fingers on Iraq b/c of the fear that it will turn into another Vietnam. America does not like to fail. Period. Bush hating is simply the easy thing to do.....as evident with this film. It's also the fast track to an oscar. Everything anti-war is (ex - Platoon).

On a side note, didnt The Kingdon recieve horrible reviews? And it was written by the same screenwriter?
Redford could have come up with some better talent to penn his Bush hating.

Oct 1 - 04:16 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

**** Bush in his ***.

Oct 1 - 05:36 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

jeanpaul, you are an idiot. **** Bush in his ***. He should have been impeached a long time ago. Clinton was the better president by far.

Oct 1 - 05:38 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Where in the **** are all my ****ing cuss words. I hate mother ****ing **** sucking censorship.

Oct 1 - 05:40 PM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

Oct 1 - 05:42 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

wallstreet_jony, you too are an idiot. Your right to speak as been revoked.

Oct 1 - 05:42 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I meant to say, has been revoked.

Oct 1 - 05:46 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Vortex&Vertigo, way to ****ing go. You said it all.

Oct 1 - 05:44 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I meant to say, has been revoked.

Oct 1 - 05:46 PM

musiclc

R T

Another anti-US propaganda film from Hollywood. How original. One more nail in the coffin of the liberal Hollywood juggernaut (they just don't know it yet).

Oct 1 - 07:19 PM

witherwings

Jamie Lynn

I'm all right with people hating Bush (although I don't hate him myself), but I don't like to see it in a movie for the mere reason that I KNOW it'll get an Oscar BECAUSE it bashes Bush.

Oct 1 - 09:40 PM