Brittany Murphy: 1977-2009

Summary

Actress Brittany Murphy, best known for her performances in Clueless, 8 Mile, and Riding in Cars With Boys, died Dec. 20 after going into cardiac arrest, according to media reports. She was 32. Murphy, whose work alternated between light comedy and darker, more dramatic roles, also starred in such hits as Sin City, Girl, Interrupted, and Don't Say a Word.. In a review of Little Black Book Roger Ebert praised Murphy's onscreen persona: "She has the quality of seeming immediately there on the screen, open to possibility, unrehearsed, unstudied, natural, appealing. She hasn't had the roles yet to prove it, but she is a born movie star." Back to Article

Comments

RANDY Z.

RANDY ZIMPRICH

Moral of the story? Drugs are bad.

Dec 20 - 11:39 PM

The NewHampshire Database

Kirk McCarty

"Hey, here's something for the people leaving those types of posts to think about: Maybe what's being mourned isn't just the death, but the waste of potential."

Mourning the waste of potential? I hope you're not serious.

And I've got nothing against mourning the loss of life, but I have little sympathy for people who willingly choose to end their lives by going down a drug riddled path. Roughly over 150,000 people die every day in the world, especially those who are born in poverty stricken areas, children who never even got to live, and you expect me to feel sorry for a woman who had a life people over there couldn't even dream of, just because she was famous and made some movies?

It's sad that she's gone, but like I said, she made her own destiny.

Dec 21 - 12:06 AM

The NewHampshire Database

Kirk McCarty

Oh, and why don't you mourn every other person who dies? I'm sure other people all over the world don't even cross your mind on a daily basis, but God forbid a celebrity dies.

****ing hypocrite.

Dec 21 - 12:08 AM

Your G.

Your God

I as well have no sympathy if her death was a drug overdose.. nor would I expect anyone to have sympathy for me if I did such a moronic thing. But ya know what? That won't happen, because I'm smart enough to not take things that might kill me.

Dec 21 - 12:31 AM

inactive user

Jared King

If I hear someone dies, (unless it's a horrible person) some mourning is human. Murphy is the subject. If children in Africa were the subject, we'd talk about them. And yes, there are more tragic tales then hers, but let's just agree that, at the moment, we can can say "Rest In Peace Brittany Murphy". Not, "Who gives two ***** about her, it's her fault."

Dec 21 - 01:00 AM

Mr.SAM

Starmonkey Spruit

RIP Brittany Murphy

Dec 21 - 12:22 AM

Your G.

Your God

Dec 21 - 12:31 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Dec 21 - 01:00 AM

themovieman

Kelly Walsh

If John Q Public dies, I doubt Rotten Tomatoes or any other entertainment website will post it. Of course most people feel empathy for the deaths of non stars. This site is about the film world. If you have watched a celebraty over the years, or have any humanity in you at all, if someone dies, whether they are 105 and die of old age or 32 and die of whatever causes, I think being human you naturaly will have empathy for that person, and there family, celebrity or not. You don't think her family isn't grieving over this? Just saying it's easy to pass judgement from your chair about how celeb's have it so great, and if they die from something, possibly drugs, possibly not, they deserve it, and good riddance. You don't know there life. Some posters here probably were tap dancing on Kurt Cobain's and River Phoenix graves, cuz they had it coming to them....ghouls

Dec 21 - 01:27 AM

cinemascribe

Duane Ullery

The NewHampshire Database wrote:

****ing hypocrite.

Hypocrite? Bite me, you putz. Sometimes I do mourn when I hear about people dying. If a face and a name is put to it, I say a small,silent prayer for them and their family..much like I feel a stab of sorrow whenever I hear about the latest casualties in Afghanistan or elsewhere. Obviously I can't mourn every single person that dies, but unexpected death bothers me. And since from your reply it seems you're too f**cking stupid to pick up on where I was coming from , I wasn't mourning her because she was a celebrity. I was mourning that a 32 year old woman who could have had a bright future died, you choad.

Your G wrote:
"Hampshire's got some points. Just goes to show if your not a celebrity of some kind, your death won't amount to a hill of beans when it happens."

Again, not mourning her because she's a celebrity..mourning that a human being died so young. I agree that she's culpable if it was a drug overdose,but to me that doesn't make the fact that she died at 32 any less sad.

Dec 21 - 01:30 AM

Justin H.

Justin Hanson

ahHAHAhHahahAhaha f*king TROLLS! Was checking through these posts just to see the reactions of who I would guess are fans of her work, to see how this news is being felt, and guess what I find. NewHampshire I'm going to single you out alone on this one, even though a couple of others got their hands down your pants checking out the inner workings of your hole. Such attacks against someone you don't even know because you feel they were suffering from addiction when THE EXACT CAUSE OF DEATH HASN'T EVEN BEEN ANNOUNCED YET. If she was a drug user, and that happened to lead to her death, I would say this is even more tragic. Addiction is not a choice, it is hell, a personal hell that is very difficult to overcome. Yes choices are made within a life, and any one time usage can be a choice, but the overall mindset and course of actions is out of a persons control who suffers. Do some *****ing research. Doesn't matter your social class, or income, or job description. The funny part about all this is I don't really care a whole lot about her death myself, I didn't know her and her artwork didn't have a personal affect on me. However I do find this to be sad and shocking news, and if I knew them I would send my condolences to her family and friends. What I do care about more is people like you who aren't even kicking someone who is down, but you are kicking the family and friends and all those suffering from this and had absolutely no control over the situation. And for what? Are you making some sort of intelligent social commentary here? On a Rotten Tomatoes message board? No my friend, you are just trolling, trying to get an reaction. Which speaks VERY LOUDLY about what kind of person you are, and what you may have going on with your life. And whats great is with just 5 minutes of my time, and some choice words, I can get you going & guarantee some thoughtless, fiery (or just plain ignorant) response from you or one of those dirty friends' fingers coming back up for air. Happy Holidays old buddy, hope noone in your family suffers from a smoking addiction - I'd be much happier knowing if you happen to get lung cancer someday that you had absolutely no part in causing it, making it that much more worthwhile.

Dec 21 - 01:56 AM

markbart0305

Mark Bartoszek

She was also in a music video for the Tears for Fears song, "Closest Thing to Heaven." Check it out.

RIP

Dec 21 - 04:10 AM

Anthony L.

Anthony LINEHAN

Another great talent taken far too early! Don't forget her stand out performance in Sin city,I was hoping to see her in the follow up as well! R.I.P Ms Murphy... we all thought you were one of the very best!

Dec 21 - 05:26 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I wasn't a huge fan, but I do think she was a good actress.
To reiterate what others have said: if you don't feel sympathy, at least show a little respect for the family, if nothing else.

Maybe try being a human being.

Dec 21 - 06:31 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

"Thou knowest neither the day nor the hour."
Death can come at anytime and anywhere . . . to anyone . . . and for any reason;
like a thief in the night.

We REJOICE in knowing that there is the resurrection and the life and there is a home-going and a home-coming.

who's to say Brittny hasn't gone Home to help prepare a place for her husband.

I almost had a head-on collision with a log-truck that crossed the yellow line of a narrow road.
Since then I always say,
Death Can Come at Anytime and Any Place and For Any Reason.

just be sure to "do stuff" that will hopefully outlive you and be of help to others even after you die.

because anyone reading this could die suddenly today . . . even something as minute as a pin-prick in a blood vessel can cause INSTANTANEOUS DEATH . . .

you might die so fast you don't realize you've died even.

"do stuff" that can outlive your bodily presence to help others everyday.

. . . and understand the Resurrection and the Life and Eternal Life . . .
and if I say "JESUS" on here everybody throws rotten tomatoes at me; but I say, "JESUS," anyway
you can roll your eyes and huff-and-puff and throw rotten tomatoes at me all you want.

Dec 21 - 06:49 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Right on! Preach on!

Dec 21 - 07:04 AM

smi1ey

Matt Dunn

lol at Justin H:

"Addiction is not a choice, it is hell, a personal hell that is very difficult to overcome."

Yeah, a hell that you willfully step right into by CHOICE. I had, and still do have, tons of opportunities to do drugs with friends, whether it's socially, peer pressure, blablabla, I don't care. I choose not to, because I like living. You don't have a massive cardiac arrest at 32 from natural causes. If it comes out that this was the case, I'll certainly take back everything, but I highly doubt it.

I agree mostly with New Hampshire. Sure, it's always sad when people die, but the way we glorify actors over others is pitiful. Especially when people try to say she had a "promising career". Last I checked she was fired from the last movie she attempted to be in. Just my opinion, not saying everyone else has to feel the same.

Dec 21 - 07:00 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Right on! Preach on!

Dec 21 - 07:04 AM

Mr. Death

Roy Fraley

sad new R.I.P

Dec 21 - 07:21 AM

scarh791

Tom Ivers

I made a promise to myself when I was very young that if I ever got famous I would never A)overdose / drink heavily, B)abuse my wife and C)die young under mysterious circumstances. Can't at least a few actual celebrities keep from doing these things?

Dec 21 - 07:46 AM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

I think people need to look at death in another way. Do you think a person that dies if they could came back just for a few minutes would say, "please, cry for me, be sad"? No, this would not happen. They would most likely say remember the happy times, celebrate the things that I did that were good, continue on with your life and don't forget me. So pop in a few of your favorite movies from Brittany Murphy and move on. She was a hotty and will be missed but not forgotten.

Dec 21 - 08:37 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Looking more and more like natural causes. Don't y'all feel like douchebags now. As for the autopsy thing, I'm not sure I'd want my wife's body dismembered either. Knowing what happened isn't going to bring her back.

Dec 21 - 08:44 AM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

Knowing what happened, if reputation is in question, would shut a lot of people up.

Dec 21 - 09:01 AM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

Dec 21 - 09:01 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships