Box Office Guru Wrapup: Little Fockers Rings In New Year at #1

Summary

Moviegoers rang in the new year by flocking to the same films as last weekend with the star-driven comedy Little Fockers leading the way once again and the Western hit True Grit following closely in second place. Most films enjoyed sales increases over the previous frame which was hampered by Christmas Eve falling on Friday and a blizzard slamming the east coast on Sunday. The top ten jumped 11% versus last weekend, but fell a sharp 33% from a year ago. Back to Article

Comments

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

The Coen Brothers aren't pretentious. Where did you get that idea?

They are however, the best directors to emerge onto the movie scene since the 90s.

Jan 3 - 10:39 AM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Wrong and wrong.
Every film of theirs has a dumb, stupid character in it that represents the audience to them. It's their little inside joke to themselves so they can laugh with each other about how much smarter they are than the people who pay to see their films. Brad Pitt's character in Burn After Reading was the epitomy of the concept. The audience is supposed to relate to his character because, according to the asshole Coens, he's exactly like us. I'm not saying they've never made a good movie, but for the most part...
Fuck them.

Jan 3 - 11:24 AM

Lateralus

Lateralus Grates

The Jews got all the money! Stop the Zionists!

Jan 3 - 08:42 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Thank you for someone who understands the difference between "awesome" and "good." Tron was awesome. Good? Hell no. But damn awesome.

Jan 3 - 10:43 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Lol could not have put it any better, Confounded

Jan 4 - 01:00 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

I'm kind of cautiously awaiting Season of the Witch myself...but then, I thought the same thing about Sorcerer's Apprentice too. Damn it, I do that with every Cage film. I blame his tax problems, otherwise he wouldn't be doing anything and everything for a paycheck.

Jan 3 - 10:46 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Ron Perlmans involvement is encouraging to me. I can't remember seeing him in anything that wasn't at least good. I don't think the world could take 2 Wicker Man quality movies.

Jan 3 - 04:54 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

'I don't think the world could take 2 Wicker Man quality movies.'

I have to say I find this comment hard to believe BigBro, especially considering Hollywood Studios have helped to finance not 1 or 2 but several films by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, who I believe have blessed us with films that have redefined the absolute lowest forms of film-making.

Jan 4 - 01:08 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I also agree that the ending with the grown up Maddie was a little excessive, but it did not bother me too much.

Jan 3 - 11:15 AM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Wrong and wrong.
Fuck them.

Jan 3 - 11:24 AM

Lateralus

Lateralus Grates

The Jews got all the money! Stop the Zionists!

Jan 3 - 08:42 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

yeah well harry potter 7 is one of the highest earning films of 2010.

Jan 3 - 12:24 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

Chris.L,

I gotta disagree, i thought the trailers make the film look like its going to be a ton of fun, action packed and a hilarious film. Which is what the average movie goer wants, PLUS the film has a talented director and Seth Rogen has alot of fans. So overall, I think the film will earn about 300-400 worldwide.

Jan 3 - 12:29 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

Chris.L,

Jan 3 - 12:30 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Exactly.

Jan 3 - 04:07 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

Interesting weekend. Don't think I've ever seen so many wide-release films raise their grosses in the same week. When you said that Little Fockers had the largest decline of any wide-release film, I honestly thought it was a typo. I saw True Grit and Tron: Legacy over the week. True Grit was excellent, and Tron was good fun, but not on the same level.

Jan 3 - 04:15 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 3 - 04:54 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Instead of watching True Grit as I originally planned, I saw TRON: Legacy instead. TRON: Legacy was a great film. I really don't understand the criticism towards it. It's fantastic CGI and 3-D effects, coupled with good acting(having a cameo of both Cillian Murphy and Michael Sheen, as well as seeing Olivia Wilde in such a tight suit wasn't bad either) and a musical score that pulseated through my veins, I have nothing but praise for TRON: Legacy. I give it a 8.75/10.

I also saw Black Swan, which was fantastic. I'm really glad it's done so well. Natalie Portman deserves all the praise she has received and I hope she wins the Oscar for Best Actress come February.
I am going to see True Grit and Season of the Witch this week. I hope they're both good. And then next week, I'll go and see if The Green Hornet can sting me with some mindless entertainment.

Jan 3 - 06:21 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Completely agree with you in regards to TRON. Confounded said it best in his comment above, it was an awesome experience, not necessarily a good movie but an awesome and entertaining experience nonetheless.

By the sounds of things, I really, really need to see Black Swan as soon as possible.

Jan 4 - 12:59 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

agreed
it's not the best film but an enjoyable movie better than avatar in my opinion

Jan 4 - 10:44 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel