Box Office Wrapup: Audiences Still Love Their Pirates

Summary

The Johnny Depp juggernaut Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest remained the most popular film in North America for a second weekend easily defending its box office crown against two new comedies that fought bitterly for the runnerup spot. Back to Article

Comments

puablo

Josh Jones

Great for Pirates, I think it deserves it all, and I'm glad to find out that X-Men 3 is the second highest grosser of this year. But it's a shame for Superman. Not because I think it deserves all the money, but to be outdone by this week's crappy releases? That's just sad.

Jul 17 - 06:13 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Yay for Pirates. I wonder how it will fare next week. Nothing too impressive came out this weekend but I know plenty of people that are looking foreward to Lady in the Water, My Super Ex-Girlfriend, or Clerks 2.

Jul 17 - 07:07 AM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

so... Pirates is most likely going to have the biggest boxoffice results ever at this rate right? What did Titanic reach?

Jul 17 - 09:10 AM

moremovies85

Kyle Morrison

Titanic made $600 million. Pirates probably will not cross $450. People will move on to other movies.

Jul 17 - 09:17 AM

StickyKiwi

Kelley Kent

probably not

Titanic ended with $600+ million, in large part to repeat viewings. The weekly decline of Titanic for the first month was somewhere near 10%. Considering it opened in the mid 30-million range, that's damn impressive.

Pirates, however impressive it has been up through now, I don't think will have those kind of legs. But even with weekly drops between 30 and 40%, I see it breaking the $400 million mark, but not much higher.

Just my thoughts.

Jul 17 - 09:21 AM

moremovies85

Kyle Morrison

Jul 17 - 09:17 AM

StickyKiwi

Kelley Kent

probably not

Just my thoughts.

Jul 17 - 09:21 AM

Pleasuretown

Nic Markham

I can't believe the Wayans brothers are making movies like this... They look so incredibley terrible. Why would a studio accept this movie?

Jul 17 - 09:24 AM

Simple

Clint Bell

Studios just want money. And apparently they got what they wanted.

Jul 17 - 09:54 AM

Simple

Clint Bell

Studios just want money. And apparently they got what they wanted.

Jul 17 - 09:54 AM

killbill82

frank ford

don't get me wrong i love depp, but he is getting way to much credit for these potc flicks!

Jul 17 - 10:30 AM

killbill82

frank ford

"This is sickening. I can't believe these garbage flicks make over $40 mill. combined and quality movies like "Serenity" make $25 mill." well that's just your opinion and apparently a lot of people disagree with you!

p.s. did you really think "serenity" would make a dime?! 1. based on a t.v. show 2. based on a t.v. show that was caned after 5 seconds.

Jul 17 - 10:41 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I'm glad to see that Pirates is still tops and that A Scanner Darkly did allright, I wish it would expand more, as I still don't have it in my city yet. That's messed up that Little Man outgrossed Dupree. I'm really looking forward to Shyamalan's Water, and Smith's Clerks, Monster House looks pretty good too.

Jul 17 - 10:44 AM

Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Yeah, how silly. Perhaps if "Serenity" had a farting comedian's face CGIed onto the body of a midget, and then everyone used a screenplay stolen from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, the flick would have made big money.

Jul 17 - 10:45 AM

DjMovieGoer

DJ Hnd

POTC is Johnny Depp

Jul 17 - 11:37 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

agreed!!! For some reason everytime Will T and E Swan was on screen I was slowly nodding off, but When johny Depp AKA Jack Sparrow was on screen I'd stay wide awake. I think Depp is playing JS perfectly, and very relateable, Jack is smart and cunning, he seems mysterious but its quite obvious what his love is and thats the Black Pearl and the Open sea. And think about this, how much gold/money does it take to keep a pirate ship going? So I guess he is a pirate with a cause. Bloom and Knightly just bored me to death in DMC

Jul 17 - 06:37 PM

South_park300

First Last

no worries, both Serenity and Firefly had a greater life on the dvd shelf. it's still a cult fave adored by millions. i'm still hearing they may make a sequel, so who knows!

I can't say I am surprised that crap like Little Man and Dupree made money. i'm just disapointed. as much as i was underwhelmed by Superman, I believe it deserves more than wayan's crap.

and as for Pirates, keep rockin the box office. i'm really happy it is doing so well! Depp deserves another Oscar nod, but I doubt he will get it. sadly, he will be one of those actors praised by all, yet will never win an Oscar.

Jul 17 - 02:29 PM

Master King Sexington

Tyler Jones

[b]killbill82, you a moron[/b]
Have you ever seen Serenity or the Firefly series? And no, that isn't just his opinion, and while Little Man may make more money right now, Firefly and Serenity will maintain a cult following long after people forget about that movie.

Jul 17 - 02:29 PM

bsideleau

Brandon Sideleau

The Wayans were simply trying to piss people off.....and the studios of course bought it seeing $$$ from people who just wanted to see how ridiculous it would be. And, thus far, it looks like that strategy worked. I wouldn't see it, but alot of curious people with a bizarre sense of humor would. The Wayans CAN be funny, but no one should EVER take it seriously.

Jul 17 - 05:08 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

Jul 17 - 06:37 PM

SpongeBob66x

Andre Orlando

i saw you,me ,and dupree and pirates this weekend and i'm sad to say dupree was better.but dont get me wrong.they both werent that good.Dupree (5/10) Pirates (4/10)

Jul 24 - 09:02 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel