Little Monsters

No Score Yet

Little Monsters Reviews

Emod L. Emod L. ½ September 3, 2014
70%
The story is more refined in later films such as "Monsters Inc.," but "Little Monsters" is a late 80s childhood gem.
Matthew B ½ August 6, 2014
When a boy finds a monster hide out and eventually tries to get his friends to join him. This could have been a great family film, but little monsters fails at mostly everything. The make-up and the effect's are well done, but the main character (The boy) is so unlikable and so despicable.
Adam R February 15, 2010
(First and only viewing - 1/24/2011)
Blake E December 19, 2012
I absolutely loved this film as a child. If there was nothing else this was the one go to film I would always get from the video shop with my dad. Now, that video shop is closed and I can't seem to find this film anywhere.
Marco F November 24, 2013
LITTLE MONSTERS wasn't made- it was perpetrated. It is utterly sickening, rampantly cruel, lazily brainless, shameful trash. The fact that this depressing exercise got a "PG" rating is absolutely dumbfounding- this is one of the scariest, cruelest, most mean-spirited films I've ever seen, and I hated every incomprehensible and idiotic minute of it. This movie was marketed towards kids- these are actions that are stupid and irresponsible to the level of retardation. The sick idiots who greenlit this script and were responsible for making this movie have a very warped sense of humor- they must have been beaten as children.

There are things in this movie that are as mature as a 5 year old shouting out loud a new potty word he just learned during his kindergarten class. It's not just that- this movie is just downright ugly and miserable. It is full of pointless things that are brought up just for laughs. Apparently, the filmmakers think that dismemberment, toilet humor, divorce, shockingly anti-social behavior, tasteless and cruel pranks, and a downbeat attitude towards life are all funny. There is no satirical element, spin or imagination put into any of this humor, all of it is played straight. That is definitive proof that the makers of this movie are too creatively bankrupt to do anything new or original. Again, a warped sense of humor.

I wanted to go into the movie and incinerate all these characters with a flamethrower. Yes- that's what I felt. I was that aggravated by its shocking immaturity and misery. The movie is so cruel towards children and so cynical towards the parents of these children. Worse yet- it tries to pass this off as funny.

This movie has no direction- it's amazingly forgettable. It doesn't really even have a plot. It's impossible to get involved in this movie- it was made to flaunt bathroom humor, cruel pranks and bad filmmaking. The characters are one-dimensional and put there as an excuse to do the disgusting humor.

Normally, forgettable movies that don't try very hard don't deserve to be reviewed, in my opinion. But this movie is so much worse than that. It's sick, extremely cynical, and utterly cruel- unpleasant in the extreme. I intensely detested this movie- that's not an exaggerated statement. Because it is such a shocking experience, It amounts up to a pointless exercise because it is impossible for it to appeal to its intended audience. But this movie is worth no one's time.
Brinn O ½ April 2, 2011
Unusual, weird and kinda creepy for a kids film. But not bad...
Chris G December 24, 2012
There are is no redeeming quality to this shitfest of a movie. Terrible performances, terrible effects, and a terrible story - all the components of an instant classic.....right?!!!?? WRONG.
Joshua L February 8, 2012
Cool little 80's movie.
MixedBreed MixedBreed May 17, 2009
Was okay. A different twist on the monsters under your bed. Now I know why I got in so much trouble as a kid.
Morgan W ½ September 12, 2013
not a bad film at all but lacks alot of things. to me it comes off as a little kids version of the movie nightbreed which is based off of the book cabal. i know that nightbreed came out a year after but the book cabal came out a year before little monsters.
Joe N June 11, 2013
I do not recommend this movie. It's scary and traumatizing for kids and juvenile for adults. It has it's funny moments, but not enough for me to fully enjoy it. Daniel Stern provided good support, but the movie is just mean spirited and I'm having a difficult time in trying to figure out who the target audience for this film is and what the moral of the story is to this rather unpleasant film. I think it's, Monstrous actions can lead to monstrous consequences?
T.A.S T.A.S July 16, 2013
Quite possibly the worst movie that I've ever seen!!!!!
This Fred Savage failure is dark, loud, creepy, and unnaturally evil. A large chunk of this torture is the two main characters framing small children for awful "pranks". This movie is very mean spirited and unfit for small children. This REALLY should be a PG-13 movie. So avoid the monstrosity as much as possible.
Cameron L July 12, 2013
I consider this flick to be miserable, criticizing the poorly written plot, unexplained story elements, mean-spirited characters, nasty jokes, depressing tone, and overly scary monsters. Special criticism is reserved for the appearance of the world of monsters, which I call a letdown due to the buildup, and for a scene where parents wrongfully blame their own children for Brian and Maurice's insane pranks, cruelly.
Shawn E May 21, 2012
haven't seen it for a while
Anthony A ½ July 1, 2013
Great "Monsters under the bed" movie!
Joa Joa ½ June 22, 2013
As a kid this movie was the best. But watching now as an adult...still awesome but definitely has it's cheesy moments. Not as great as I remember it to be. lol
Kendall I ½ March 30, 2013
This one was one I always wanted to watch when I was a child, but after seeing it, I realize that it's really nothing special.

PLOT:Brian (Fred Savage) is just a little kid. His family just moved into a new house and things aren't going so great. Brian's parents are fighting, mysterious pranks are being pulled with no one knowing, and Brian's little brother is waking up at night claiming there's a monster under is bed. Brian doesn't believe him, so they trade rooms for a night. However, Brian traps Maurice (Howie Mandel), a dim-witted but fun prankster of a monster whom he befriends. Maurice and Brian become great friends and make frequent visits from the human world to the monster world. However, things don't seem right in the monster world with Brian there. It's a good plot executed rather decently.

ACTING:The acting in here is pretty good. Fred Savage wasn't spectacular as young Brian, but he got the job done. The best performance in here would have to have been from Howie Mandel as the mischievious Maurice. He really played a good part, though more spontaneous than emotional. The other shiners would be Rick Ducommun as Snik, Daniel Stern as Glen Stevenson, and Frank Whaley as Boy.

SCORE:The score wasn't really anything too special. It was pretty uplifting at times with a few good songs laid throughout.

EFFECTS:The effects in here are pretty neat. The make-up effects for Maurice and the other monsters were fairly realistic, though cheesy. I liked some of the ways they played around with the visual effects. The effects of the moving clothes were pretty cheesy as well, but interesting. The effects for the end battle were pretty cool to me, however.

OTHER CONTENT:This movie was pretty decent. It wasn't anything too special. The effects were something interesting, and Howie Mandel's performance was great, but it can't live on these alone. The movie overall was pretty bland and cheesy, but it had some good moments. I think they could have done a lot more with it.

OVERALL,a neutral movie with a good plot, pretty good acting, nothing special score, and neat but cheesy effects, but the movie itself was pretty bland and cheesy with more unexplored possibilities.
The Creep The Creep ½ March 30, 2013

Katelyn M March 8, 2013
I thought Fred and Ben Savage were so cute in this movie, it was really good
Adam F ½ February 22, 2012
"Little Monsters" is an awful excuse for a kid's movie. It's filled with cursing, bathroom humour (including feeding a child cat food and replacing his apple juice with urine) and is at times pretty frightening. It's not particularly clever or fun, the characters are very annoying and it's just mean spirited. The makeup effects are good, but it's only good thing to be found here. (VHS, February 2012)