Live Free or Die Hard Reviews

May 9, 2008
Erases the 3rd and def a return to the good old days of action movies.
cosmo313
June 27, 2007
This was a nice (enough) return to a great series. There's plenty of action and drama, and over-the-top stunts and sequences, Willis still has the gusto he used to, and the supporting cast does nice work too. It would have been nice had this been "hard-edged" like the previous films, but even though it's not, it's still a decent film.

Like the previous entry, this one is on a larger, more open scale, with McClane having to stop a high tech terrorist attack on the country's (mainly eastern seaboard) computer infrastructure using his old school analog ways. Joining him is a dweeby computer guy who makes for a pretty decent comic foil, though he has nothing on Samuel L. Jackson's Zeus from the previous film.

The film (at least the theatrical cut) suffers from being sanitized and given the PG-13 treatment, but if you're open minded, you can look past this aspect. McClane is also treated like a friggin superhero, basically surviving stuff that no normal man should. This last aspect seems to increase as this series goes on, and, yeah, it's a bit dumb, but if all you want is a cheesy over-the-top action spectacle, then you should be decently happy with this one.
½ February 15, 2013
Up until the most recent movie("Good Day to Die Hard") this was the most over the top installment of the movie. McClane(Bruce Willis) is visiting his daughter when he gets a call to pick up a hacker(Justin Long) and take him to Washington D.C. When he gets to the hackers apartment they are attacked, and it turns out the hacker didn't know, but he had been working for a terrorist named Gabriel(Timothy Olyphant) to set off a Fire Sail. Using technology they turn off traffic, all the power, all the communication, shut down financial institutions and attempt to put the U.S. back in the dark ages. But they didn't know they would have to contend with John McClane, an "analog man in a digital world". Now he is our best chance to stop them before it's too late. McClane is pretty much indestructible, and jumps onto F-35 jets here, so yes it's crazy and way over the top, but it's still a "Die Hard" movie, and it's still awesome. Not as good as others in the series, but it's still very entertaining for an action flick that holds up decent. Biggest problem is it's rated PG-13 and he only says "Yippy Ka Yah" without the rest of it;) Still, if you haven't watched it, go back and give it a shot.
½ January 11, 2010
Never will an entry top the brilliance of the original "Die Hard" film, but "Live Free or Die Hard" does put itself in the same vein as the first film. Although it has some pretty farfetched action, it has a very very good story and a very interesting villain for once. This film is a mile a minute action movie that never let's up. Bruce Willis and Justin Long are terrific together and the script that they are given definitely keeps true to the wit of the previous films. In my opinion, it is definitely one of the best of the series, coming short of the original. This film is incredible entertainment!
½ September 18, 2010
Over-the-top action with our favorite action hero, John McClane. It's been dumbed down to a lower Parental Guidance rating to attract more viewers but the action is even more intense. An entertaining movie but has one of the worst plotlines within the entire Die Hard franchise.
August 13, 2007
This is hopefully the last Die Hard as its not too great, as usual its been made for the mass audience (teens and kids) so everybody can go and unfortunately its lost its hard adult edge. Willis is still cool and Long is actually quite good and funny, Olyphant as the baddie is also quite good and strangely menacing in a non violent way.
This just about gets good marks still purely for the action, not so much violent but still impressive. Taking out a chopper with a car...quality, oh and Maggie Q is gorgeous.
June 30, 2007
I didn't really like this simply down to the fact that it had been modernised. Yeah it was good but it's not what the series was about.
January 22, 2011
Lucy McClane: Who are you?
Matt Farrell: Matt Farrell.
Lucy McClane: Lucy McClane.
Matt Farrell: I thought your name was Gennero. Lucy Gennero?
Lucy McClane: Not today.

Action-packed! When I heard that Die Hard 4.0 would be PG-13 I had my doubts, but was pleasantly surprised! A bit of a disappointment villain-wise, but a fun film nonetheless.

John McClane: Yippie ki yay mother f- [shoots himself in the shoulder].

John McClane (Bruce Willis) battles technology in the fourth addition in the Die Hard franchise. With the help of expert hacker Matthew Farrell (Justin Long), they plan to take down another expert hacker (Timothy Olyphant) before he takes the phrase "firesale" to a whole new level.

John McClane: I know I'm not as smart as you guys with all this computer shit. But, hey... I'm still alive, ain't I? I mean, you've *got* to be running out of bad guys by now, right? Huh? Gabriel? Honestly, you can tell me. I mean, how does that work? Got some kind of service or something? Some kind of 800 number? 1-800-HENCHMEN? Oh, you know what? I bet you're still on hold with, "Can I get another dead Asian hooker bitch over here right away?"

Olyphant isn't really believable as the villain, which is surprising considering his fantastic work in Justified and The Crazies. Kevin Smith as Warlock was a nice addition which injected more humor into the series (only in the film because they were working on Cop Out).

The action sequences are well-managed and excite the audiences. The helicopter-car sequence is probably the most memorable scene in the movie.

Probably the most believable of the series, but not the best.

John McClane: Hey, what's a fire sale?
Matt Farrell: It's a three-step... it's a three-step systematic attack on the entire national infrastructure. Okay, step one: take out all the transportation. Step two: the financial base and telecoms. Step three: You get rid of all the utilities. Gas, water, electric, nuclear. Pretty much anything that's run by computers which... which today is almost everything. So that's why they call it a fire sale, because everything must go.
garyX
May 23, 2007
Bruce Willis returns as the one man counter-terrorist unit, this time taking on an ex-government agent bent on sinking the US infrastructure into chaos while making a few billion on the side. The basis of the plot is the classic "computer geek+laptop=total control over everything/anything in the world" school so favoured by Michael Bay and the like resulting in America's favourite terrorism inspired paranoid fantasy, but having said that, it's no more ridiculous than the Bourne films and delivers the same kind of frenetic stunt-orientated action. Willis proves he can still cut it in the ass kicking stakes at his ripe old age and some of the set pieces are truly spectacular. Justin Long manages to play the wise cracking nerd without grating on the nerves and it cracks along at an electric pace thanks to some taut direction by Len Wiseman. The plot is a little cliched and the ending felt a little anti-climactic after such an unrelenting build up and it's all a bit too humourless compared to the earlier instalments, but it makes a decent addition to a solid franchise.
June 3, 2007
The action here was excellent. Though often hardly believable, it's no Michael Bay crap (it'd need another 20 minutes of throwaway of filler for that). You actually care about the characters and can't help but be entertained by such dynamic scenes.

Bruce Willis, Justin Long, and Kevin Smith were all brilliant here. Even that guy who played some generic military guy in the Transformers movie played the "tortured artist/slightly gay" bad guy very well in this film.
July 12, 2011
For a FOURTH sequel of an early 90's (late 80's) action flick, LFoDH works. It's entertaining, the plot is "big" but relevant, the action is non-stop jaw dropping, the characters are... well, they HAVE character (but boy do I hate Justin Long)

In the end it's an action packed extravaganza of fun. Fans of previous films won't be disappointed watching their favorite average joe "save the world" one (hopefully) last time.
DreamExtractor
½ June 17, 2011
The Die Hard series was never about plot, or character development, or anything else really. It was about 3 things, badass Bruce Willis, screwed terrorists, and some of the best action and explosions ever. We are given that in this movie, but wait... We are also given a plot, and character development, and much more. What we have here is the best entry in the series and one of the greatest action movies ever made. Its safe to say what I just said because well... Its one of the Die Hard movies people. Bruce Willis is back as everyones favorite cop John Mclane, and believe me, he packs a pretty damn big punch and is as good an actor as hes ever been. The plot is about computer terrorists taking out the worlds best hackers and John Mclane saving the last one (Justin Long) and stopping the terrorists from earning billions and destroying the earths technology. It sounds cliche but they are so cool you don't even care. My only problem was Justin Long, this movie is about awesome Bruce Willis, not him hanging out with a geek like Justin Long. This has some of the greatest action scenes you will ever find in movies, and surprisingly one that you will love very much and watch over and over.
February 15, 2008
edit: Gave this movie the extra 1/2 star bump to 5. I love this flick, and I just don't get the hate some people have for it.

A movie needs four things to really feel like a true Die Hard movie: Bruce Willis as John McClane, Michael Kamen's musical score, Jan DeBont's cinematography, and a memorable villain.

Live Free or Die Hard has only one of those four things.

...yet despite that fact, I was surprised to find that it is not only a good flick, but probably the best Die Hard movie since the first. Bruce is back in full force as McClane. Marco Beltrami did a phenomenal job of imitating Kamen's scores, even using some of the same themes and musical cues from previous films - This goes a long way toward creating the atmosphere of a Die Hard film. The cinematography seemed a little more modern and slick than previous installments, but they were very smart in avoiding a lot of the modern trends that would have really taken away from the film: Slo-mo is used very sparingly, and the more frenetic action scenes aren't all just quick-cut, shaky-cam, over-edited messes.

This leaves us with the villain situation. Timothy Olyphant is a good actor who can really steal a scene in the right role. But here he is only given a couple of really meaty moments to shine, and comparing him to classic villainous actors like Alan Rickman and Jeremy Irons is just unfair. So while he does a fine job, his character is not particularly memorable. The rest of the villains are filled out with the usual generic henchman, with the exception of a kung-fu right-hand woman and an overly-acrobatic top thug straight out of a Bond film.

Justin Long has always been a fun, underrated actor in my opinion, but again I was worried he'd come across as a lame comic relief sidekick. Yes, he provides a lot of the laughs for the movie, but he is able to do it in a way that seems natural for his character, and it never seems forced.

I was extremely worried going into this film and had kept my expectations down accordingly. It's always nice to have high hopes for a film and have that film match your expectations, but to go in and be SO pleasantly surprised is a great feeling. I was grinning though half the movie just because I was so thrilled it was living up to the Die Hard name. The action is exciting and even if they went over-the-top in a couple sequences (the F-35 scene is quite far-fetched and feels like it belongs more in a True Lies movie), it never takes you out of the movie. It's just a great action flick and probably ranks second in the franchise only to the original in my opinion.
½ April 20, 2011
More explosive entertainment from the Die Hard series, but more proof that the franchise has been failing since the first sequel. Too crazy of a story for McClain, to over the top for a Die Hard. The beauty of the first was that he was a normal guy doing his awesome heroics. He's not superman. What happened?
½ June 30, 2007
12 years after the last release John McClane returns and is, once again, hard to kill. While thematically closer to the third movie than to the first two of the series, it is mostly Bruce Willis' character that leaves no doubt who is the boss in the ring and what film you are seeing. The lines he is firing back at the bad guys or his really convincing sidekick Justin Long are en par with the former movies. So is most of the action. While not always entirely logic or realistic, sequences like the "car in a elevator shaft" or "truck vs. fighter jet" are extremely original and spectacular. The main complaints would have to be that there is a bit too much cyber-blah blah and apart from Willis' character, it doesn't always entirely feel like a Die Hard film. Still, an overall enjoyable, exciting, entertaining action film.
½ July 16, 2007
Bruce Willis still got it. Explosive action. Yipikaye motherf**ker!
thmtsang
½ July 6, 2007
Excellent movie full of action and incredible momentum from start to finish. Bruce is looking great for his age! We only get to see a bit of the vest though! Justin hacks into a high security system only to discover that there is a terrorist organisation who is shutting down the states - electric, gas supplies etc. Bruce and Justin team up to catch the bad guys. Great special effects. Die Hard franchise is modernised.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 5, 2010
After One bad sequel (Die Hard 2) and one average sequel (Die Hard: With A Vengeance) Live Free Or Die Hard brings back the solid elements that made the first film so great, and ultimately one of the best action films ever made. Live Free Or Die Hard is a fine return to form, and is by far the best Die Hard film since the first one. Bruce Willis is back as maverick cop, John McClane, and boy does he seem determined in this fourth entry of the Die Hard franchise. John McClane hasn't felt this menacing since the first film. Live Free Or Die Hard, is a different film from all the others, and is a bit risky considering we live in a time where we're vulnerable to terrorists. But it's just plain entertainment. Now before seeing this film, I skeptical, I did sort of enjoy the third entry, but felt it lacked something to truly make it memorable. So I had high hopes for this sequel. So I saw the film, and I was stunned at what I saw; the film is a fine return to it's action roots, as I felt that the last two sequels had more of a humourous approach, which cheapened the films slightly. But in this fourth film, we have a few of the traditional John McClane wise cracks, but the filmmakers don't overdue it. This is my favorite Die Hard since the first one, and I enjoy how they managed to do something totally new and refreshing with the overall plot of the franchise. In this fourth entry we have a terrorist who is played marvelously well by Timothy Olymphant who uses techno terrorism to wreak havoc on the United States. Olymphant is very surprising in the role, and he truly is menacing and convincing. I find him quite a hit and miss actor, but with this film he truly delivered one of the best performance since Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in the first one. Live Free or Die Hard boasts an impressive cast of actors. This is a phenomenal action film that delivers on the action, and the thrills, Everything that made the first Die Hard great is here, and more. The only difference is, this film is set in the 21st century. The threats are more realistic this time around, and who know with the techno terrorism going on in the film, maybe this will be the face oif terror in the next 50 years. A must see if you loved the first Die Hard.
LWOODS04
½ September 28, 2008
Cast: Bruce Willis, Justin Long, Timothy Olyphant, Jeffrey Wright, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Chris Palermo, Yorgo Constantine, Yancey Arias, Maggie Q

Director: Len Wiseman

Summary: John McClane (Bruce Willis) is back and badder than ever, and this time he's working for Homeland Security. He calls on the services of a young hacker (Justin Long) in his bid to stop a ring of Internet terrorists intent on taking control of America's computer infrastructure. Fear not, the information-age plot still boasts plenty of good old-fashioned gunfights, smash-ups and explosions.

My Thoughts: "Love a good action film, and this one definitely delivered. Love all the "Die Hard" films. Had some really good exploisions scenes. The story was interesting and kept you attention all the way through. I liked Justin Long in this. Thought he fit the role good. Kevin Smith was a nice surprise. All in all a great action film. If you like action packed films and shit that blows up, then this is your kind of film."