Lobos de Arga (Party of Wolves) (Game of Werewolves) Reviews

Cinema-Maniac
February 25, 2013
Comedy is a genre I rarely ever touch upon with my reviews and the same goes with covering Spanish movies despite viewing quite a few of them. Out of all the Spanish movies I've seen this is the least impressive one I've seen yet.

Game of Werewolves (Lobos de Arga) is about Tomas returning to his village of Galicia in 15 years to seek inspiration for his next novel. While in Galicia Tomas must get rid off a 100 year old curse in a village fill with people that want him dead. The pacing is a mess. It doesn't know if wants to be a horror, a comedy, or both. Switching between two genre creates an inconsistent tone. The humor aspect is okay since some jokes here are funny. Even if the jokes fail you know it was meant to be a joke unlike the horror aspect. The horror aspect was weak. Whenever the film had a setup for a scare or two it inserts a joke. These jokes are either hit or miss. This distracts from the horror scenes for you don't know if something is meant to be funny or be scaring. The film lacks logic in certain scenes. It might sound dumb complaining about logic in a movie that has werewolves, but there's no way pistol could blow up two cars that are in perfect condition without any flammable object around them. The plot in general is okay moving nicely never dragging a certain scene and do go into detail about the curse. The film is confused on what it wants to be and so will the audience on how to react to something.

The acting was good. The actors did well when it came to comedy. They had good timing and chemistry to make the jokes work. When it becomes a horror is where the actors don't do well. It's mostly bad writing and a inconsistent tone that hurts the actor unsure delivery. The actors do what they can with the material given to them. The practical effects are a nice touch for the transformations. It might not look convincing, but at least your mind won't remind you it's a CG effect. The costumes look more on the lines of sandsquatch than werewolves. I don't know about you, but I expect werewolves to have tails since they are part wolf. The werewolves are killed too easily. It's mostly of limited budget though the effort is their and the director does make good use of them for some humorous jokes. Production wise it's a decent effort on a small budget and limited resources.

Lobos de Arga (Games of Werewolves) does not know what kind of film it wants to be all the times, but when its focus it passes as decent entertainment. This is the kind of film that's good for a rainy day and is not the kind of film you should go out of your way to find.
October 1, 2012
A Spanish werewolf movie without Paul Naschy just doesn't feel right but this was still more fun than I expected .
July 24, 2013
Really enjoyed this film! Finally got to see it on HBO. They only played it twice and then it disappeared. It's not in OnDemand. I hope it gets released on Blu-ray in the U.S. It's has some great comedy and a scary-looking werewolf monster on two legs. It's a different story and not bad for a low budget! Give it a chance when it's available!
July 12, 2013
Cute Spanish werewolf movie played for laughs. Not as witty as Shaun of the Dead, it reminds me more of Norway's Trollhunter. Funny and worth a look.
Cinema-Maniac
February 25, 2013

½ November 15, 2012
¿Homenaje? a las grandes peliculas del maestro Paul Naschy, con un pueblo perdido en las montañas de Galicia y una invasion de hombre lobo. Pero claro, si a una pelicula supuestamente de terror le añadimos a dos actores como Gorka Otxoa y Carlos Areces, esto se convierte en una comedia genial y bastante divertida.
½ October 15, 2012
starts well but turns into a bit of a howler.
½ May 30, 2012
Comedic horror movie with fun characters that play against type instead of being standard steroetypes. Wolfmen are "classic" which adds fun camp, while also being a bit of a let down since they look like Yeti.

Irreverent and funny, this fable of a gypsy curse on a village plays out cleanly by introducing characters one-by-one, rather than bringing a group in and killing them off one-by-one. Areces (of The Last Circus) plays a kooky and upbeat childhood friend while Zahera works against type by playing a village cop that is competent and not at all fascist.

Completely foregoing digital effects, director Moreno goes for the old school film-cut transformations and bulky wolfman suits, which is a nice homage, but not very scary or dangerous looking. But the laughs are definitely there, making this movie enjoyable.