Lockout (Unrated) Reviews

½ May 21, 2015
A couple Willis-like one liners and a few crazy moments do not make this admittedly entertaining die-hard space flick anything really special.
April 14, 2015
This is just plain adventure in space. The storyline and humour worked for me. The physics of gravity, not so much. They really should think better about gravity. We know they can do much better. But let's consider this a b-movie instead and then it is excellent. Good acting by all and the bad guys nail psychopathy quite well at times. It is very entertaining and could possibly be a date movie. Definitely much, much, much better than any of the Sin City noir movies. This one has enough intelligence to carry us. Ah, if they had made gravity obey the laws of gravity...
½ April 8, 2015
It's a little fun. But it's cheap and too dumb on the brains senses.
April 5, 2015
funny and awesome. genre should be changed to comedy action & adventure
October 18, 2012
really entertaining popcorn flick
July 30, 2012
Easily one of the best action movies out there. Guy Pierce is effortless in what is his most entertaining role EVER.
½ September 27, 2014
Sort of Die Hard in space... Very nicely shot with chunky well lit sci fi sets, Guy Pearce does good badass too, clearly enjoying himself. Shame the rest is SHIT, crud script, terrible sound design (you can't hear half the dialogue) and a truly awful bike chase sfx sequence... disappointing, cos there are great bits in this. Boo.
½ September 26, 2014
2.75 stars ideally. Critics may have been harsh on 'Lockout'. Not that they were too far off in their evaluation but it is watch-able and somewhat entertaining at least.

Although displaying foreseeable plot turns and a generic hothead villain, the space prison concept distinguishes it from other movies of equivalent standard. The cool premise probably helps to overshadow what are in essence standard action sequences. None of them last long enough and they would have benefited from a few more confrontations which directly utilised the space environment.

Guy Pearce portraying CIA operative, Snow, as un-likeable, snide and selfish actually makes for a likeable hero. Thought an actor of his calibre was above this role but lucky for the film he was involved as a lot of the audience's enjoyment will be attributable to him. Not all of his comedic lines hit the mark but he brings a respectable level of charisma and fortitude to produce a non-stereotypical action hero. You would want to see his character again but in a better film. The rebelling prisoners made less of a contribution, with the two main convicts proving to be neither interesting or a strong threat to Snow. Also thought that giving the majority of dialogue to these two from the prisoners's perspective reduced the scale and therefore impact of the prison takeover. There was little sense of the chaos which is normally associated with a hostile prison riot.

Nothing special but works as a simple action flick and, to its advantage, it doesn't try to be anything more.
½ August 23, 2012
Average action film with awful CGI. Guy Pearce alone brings this up to 2 1/2 stars for me, he is great.
August 31, 2014
Die Hard 1 In Space - but without originality or other good things
½ April 13, 2012
I think I'm go and see this tonight
½ April 24, 2012
Over the top and pretty funny. Yes, it's cliche but all in all I had a good time. Old school action movie with a badass hero.
½ July 14, 2014
Monday, July 14, 2014

(2012) Lockout
SCIENCE-FICTION ACTION/ COMEDY

Luc Besson is credited as "Executive Producer" on this 'racist' movie which have to make the African American person as being the most stupidest as well as the main villain. Co-written and directed by James Mather and Stephen St. Leger starring Guy Pierce as Snow, ordered as part of a deal for his life spent in prison to save the President's daughter, Emilie (Maggie Grace) trapped in a space station of some kind that put 250 convicts in hibernation. At the same time, Snow has another objective to go tot he space station, and it is to find a friend named Mace who knows the location of this particular brief case. If viewers haven't noticed, all the psycho serial killers including the convict that's in charge of the negotiations all have Irish accents while all the good guys have American accents. This 30% rating is for one or two innovative it's action scenes, except that it only occurred sometime during the beginning. And Emilie played by grace was one of the most annoying characters I had seen for awhile which I as a viewer, thought after Snow saved her life at least 3 times was too ungrateful and unappreciative, therefore I am unable to relate.

1 star out of 4
June 24, 2014
Lacks quality in depth but offers a relatively interesting plot and a decent level of excitement.
½ June 13, 2014
When I was young I had enjoyed the film. This was ofcourse before, I knew how to correctly judge and criticize film. And of course it had a hefty heaping of violence, and at that age that was all I wanted in a movie. I wasn't too judgmental of what I saw on the screen back then... but now I am, and as such I now really loath this film. My review of 'Lockout' below.

'Lockout' follows Snow (Played by Guy Pearce) a man forced to enter a space prison, when it is over taken by about 500 rape and murder convicts who took over the ship. The surprise is, the President's own daughter, Emilie (Played by Maggie Grace) who was inspecting the safety of the prisoners, is trapped on the ship, and so it is up to Snow to enter the ship, retrieve her, and get the hell out of there.

Generic, generic, generic, generic.... That line could go on forever. I'm not even lying this has got to be the blandest, thrill-less sci-fi action film I have ever seen.

The script has few surprises, and follows the same ol GENERIC 'by the dots' action playbook route. The script has 'Snow' as a GENERIC John McLane type action hero, who enjoys making jokes while he works... not to mention he does enjoy a good smoke every now and then just like McLane. The script provides plenty of income (Taken from other films) but no outcome. Nothing here is even the slightest bit interesting. GENERIC. GENERIC. GENERIC.

Not to mention the editing is migraine inducing. We cut back and forth and back and forth between one thing and another. Even if the script is dumb and generic, I mean the action would have been at least stupid fun, but it isn't because of the editing. The action shots are so poorly edited together you cannot even make sense of what you're seeing. I hate it when movies have such sloppy editing; it basically ruins the entire product.

Wait, wait, wait, that's not even the worst part. The worst part is the particular cheesy-ness this film seems to have. Every moment of this film made me laugh out loud. The clunky dialogue, the bland characters... it's all so cheesy. I couldn't stop laughing at how bad the dialogue was... it produces the 'no duh' effect, that I always have whenever a film say's the obvious. Basically this entire film stats the obvious, it's unbelievable. And the special effects during Snow's chase sequence in the first 10 minutes of the film is just so bad, that I had to fast-forward through it. It looked like a poorly animated racing game from the 80's.

The one thing that kept me back from full out loathing this piece of trailer trash was the unbelievable amount of effort the cast made to try and keep this from sinking... obviously it sank, but it was a nice try from the cast. 'Guy Pearce' is almost always grand in any role he takes; it's just that his efforts are weighed down by his John McLane- rip off character. The guy that really got me smiling though was the outstanding breakout performance from 'Joseph Gilgun' as the psycho-nut, prisoner Hydell. It's noticeable how much this guy really tried to make the best of his character, and he does. 'Hydell' is efficient as a wacko back-up villain, to the more sophisticated one. Gilgun helped make his character juicier and fun and I liked it.

All and All 'Lockout' is almost a complete mess. Almost. If it weren't for some pretty convincing performances, 'Lockout' would have completely flopped due to the migraine inducing editing, poor scripting, laughable special effects, and just a lack of creativity. D- 5/2/14

'Lockout' is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, and language including some sexual references. It's appropriate for ages 13 and up. I doubt anyone over and under the age of 13 would enjoy this one though.
May 29, 2014
While the film moves along at a fast pace, there isn't enough explosive action or cheesy fun to compensate for the lousy, clichéd script and lack of consistant plausibility, despite the already farfetched premise.
½ May 13, 2014
Easy going viewing at it's most simple, Lockout requires nothing but popcorn and your attention, no brain power or hard thinking, this is fun entertainment that lasts an hour and a bit. It's no quality in terms of script or story, but if you get the chance to watch it go for it.

Guy Pearce is a solid lead starring as Snow, an agent sent into deep space to save the President's daughter on a maximum security prison, only hitch: The prison is overrun with murderers and psychopaths. Guy Pearce's one liners are great and well delivered, even when guns blazing he manages to reel some laughs out, and Maggie Grace is convincing as the President's Daughter Emilie Warnock, Grace shows smart and style, but never gets to dish out ass kicking which seems like a missed opportunity seeing as she's always the one getting taken recently. However, the best performances come from Joseph Gilgun and Vincent Regun, who are the inmates who take control of MS1. These two top actors showcase madness, rage and a genuine unstable nature, plus Lennie James and Peter Stormare are fantastic as well as agents assisting Snow on his deadly mission.

The performances in this movie are absolutely brilliant, it's just a shame they aren't exactly in the best of films. The special effects are middling, inside MS1 the sets and CGI are marvellous, everything outside down on Earth and outside the prison the visuals look unfinished and very cheesy, but in a way the cheapness adds to the over the top fun factor. Whilst there's no a tonne of action, Lockout succeeds by boasting a highly capable cast, a decent storyline and silly popcorn fun. Take it as it is, it's cheesy sci-fi at best, but highly watchable.
May 5, 2014
Classic case of a good character/actor in need of a better movie. Guy Pearce nails the smart-ass action hero role, but his talents are wasted in this bland futuristic thriller where he tries to save the President's daughter from escaped convicts on a space station prison. This is the kind of movie where someone makes a reference to Prince's "1999" when it takes place in 2078.
May 2, 2014
Tries to be exciting, but fails. Tries to be thought-provoking, but fails.Tries to shove in some comedic relief, but fails. Tries to be a good movie, but fails, and I don't even think it gave being original a shot.
April 24, 2014
Loved this film, easy sci-fi fun. Why do all sci-fis have to be SERIOUS! LucBesson nails it again! A good laugh. Don't take it so seriously, sit back and enjoy, a little Sci-fi-com because why the hell not!