Lola Versus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lola Versus Reviews

½ June 28, 2015
While there was lot about this movie that I liked--Greta Gerwig is always great, it's stylistically quite watchable, and its humour is just sardonic enough--overall it had nothing to say, and there was nothing novel in its approach; though quite a "real" film, it really was just the blow-by-blow of a breakup, and not a particularly interesting one at that. It's a competent movie, but unfortunately, nothing more than that.
November 24, 2012
Wasn't perfect, and a little slow in places, but likeable cast make this an enjoyable chick flick.

Second viewing update 13/11/2014
I liked this so much more this time around. I have upgraded another star. I think initially I expected a rom com and when it didn't turn out to be exactly that, I felt a bit disappointed.
This is a story about growing up and realizing what you need and what you don't, and learning by making mistakes. It actually does have a nice final message about finding your own strength and not relying on a man.
themoviewaffler.com
September 4, 2012
Hanging around in supporting roles for a while now, Gerwig has proven to be a likable presence. Her first lead role shows just how charismatic she is as few actresses could make such a self-involved character anything but repugnant.
The movie is full of the usual indie cliches, the kooky friend, the whacky liberal parents, the artistic nice guy and the hunky bad boy. The irony is that Kinnaman is portrayed as the villain of the piece yet comes across as the only remotely down to earth character. He has a maturity and a self-realization that none of the others possess. Despite being on the brink of their thirties, they treat life as if they are still in their teens. The whole thing reminds me of that nineties TV show "Felicity". Gerwig and her irritatingly quirky best friend Jones seem to think the world revolves around their orgasms, or lack of.
I suspect female viewers will find it hard to sympathize with Lola. After all she's an attractive and seemingly financially stable young woman who gets hit on by men on a regular basis. It's a bit like a female variation on "The Brothers MacMullen", a movie where three hunky brothers faced the earth-shattering dilemma of which of their various hot girlfriends to stick with.
There are times you'll just want to give Lola a good shaking. At one point she agrees to have dinner with a guy who is clearly a couple of futons short of a Greenwich loft. She then unbelievably allows him to penetrate her without a condom. Maybe Julian Assange was a technical advisor? Lola is an idiot who gets everything she deserves and a terrible role model for young women. The movie should be retitled "Lola Versus the Audience".
Harlequin68
June 17, 2012
In "Lola Versus," eveything goes as planned in the months before the wedding of Lola(Greta Gerwig) and Luke(Joel Kinnaman) until he unceremoniously dumps her. At least, she has cool friends like Alice(Zoe Lister Jones, who also-cowrote with director Daryl Wein), an actress, and Henry(Hamish Linklater), a musician, who let her sleep on their floors and feed her, even though Henry is also a friend of Luke's. So, now that Lola is single, she gets hit upon by Nick(Ebon Moss-Bachrach) while buying salmon at a deli. The important thing is for her to hold herself together until she defends her doctoral dissertation.

Like its heroine, "Lola Versus" is a likable mess with some nice moments. To be honest, there really is not that much of a story, just a series of episodes that try too hard to be funny which only serve to put it on the level of a second rate sitcom at times.(Like, who would put on an Ani DiFranco song during sex? And it's a guy!) It's a shame because there really is something here about a woman who is on her own emotionally for the first time in her life and forced to make decisions like what to do with all of her free time. Plus, Daryl Wein again shows his affinity for New York City in the locations he uses, especially probably being the first director to make use of the High Line cinematically. And where have you been, Debra Winger?
½ February 8, 2013
It was all right. It was kind of boring and slow paced and was lacking some overall charm or more character development. I thought Greta Gerwig was absolutely fantastic and I think she has a great career in her future. I also like Hamish and thought he was a pretty likable dude. Bill Pullman and Debra Winger did all right, although it was nothing special. Zoe Lister Jones gets on my nerves. Joel Kinnaman was very average. He seems like the kind of guy that belongs on the CW.

I think this could have been better if they developed everyone a bit more. Or something. Celeste and Jesse Forever kind of dealt with similar themes and I thought it was much better than this.
August 3, 2014
Looking for love after losing her love. Lola (Greta Gerwig) begins a roller coaster ride of relationships that lead her to an understanding of where she needs to be in life.
August 4, 2013
Greta Gerwig makes everything likeable, even when he character makes so many dumb decision it is hard to keep some sympathy. So thank you Greta Gerwig for making Lola Versus a decent film despite there being nothing new.
July 30, 2013
An enjoyable romantic comedy. Many funny parts. Greta Gerwig does a great job.

A tiny bit better than your average romantic comedy.

Lola Versus, I give you a 60%.
½ May 25, 2013
This was a fairly predictable movie with a fun cast of crazy characters. It is definitely worth a watch for people tired of the the usual formula in today's rom-coms.
December 22, 2012
This movie would have had a much larger audience if it would have embraced what it actually is..a rom com. The cinematography and the lead actress were under the assumption that it was a quirky meaningful indie film, however the script was an old fashion rom com. Take Greta Gerwig out, and give the role to somebody on Glee, and every house wife would have been talking about it for a month.
½ November 25, 2012
Among the other hundred-or-so movies about people in their late 20's wandering around the city questioning the path to great sex, love, and - at least in the case of the lead - self-discovery, what sets "Lola Versus" apart is its approach to the answers: they aren't easy and they don't come around often. The movie hits a lot of the same beats we've seen so many times before, but it's just so nice watching it happen here in a way that doesn't feel completely contrived. Pepper in a delightful Greta Gerwig and some legitimately funny moments, and it's just the type of perfectly pleasant indie rom-com you'll be looking for on a boring night to relieve your gloom about life and love.
November 12, 2012
Basically reading the Flixster synopsis will ruin the movie for you. It's a little cute, but there is very little structure to this or much of a story. Break ups suck so we do things to take our minds off of them. Maybe we think we're broken so we do things to find what's broken or how to fix those things.
Some good one-liners here and there, but over-all so focused on the self involved Lola that you develop little to no attachment to other characters in the movie...except maybe her best friend that conveniently pops up when you're about to forget about her. Oh, yeah, that's because the best friend is also the screenwriter for the film. How convenient.

What do I know? I'm a guy and wanted some explosions.
½ October 30, 2012
Greta Gerwig and the ensemble of Lola Versus are quirky enough to be entertaining. And while the characters might be unlikable at times, I applaud the meandering script for bravely and realistically presenting them as such.
½ October 26, 2012
I thought Gerwig was pretty good, she was a likable main lead. But that's about all the good I can say about it.
½ September 26, 2012
It is very difficult to make a film about a selfish, unlikeable, self-indulgent individual likeable and Lola Versus doesn't do that. Where Young Adult succeeded in making a movie about a despicable person refreshing, this one does just the opposite (even IF Lola isn't as awful of a human being as Young Adult's Mavis Gary) as I didn't find a single character in the film one I would like to meet outside of the film. Lola (Greta Gerwig - Damsels in Distress, Greenberg) and Luke (Joel Kinnaman - "The Killing", Safe House) are engaged to be married and all appears to be blissful ... until a mere three weeks before the ceremony when Luke gets cold feet and dumps the soon-to-be-a-basketcase Lola. The rest of the film has Lola use and mis-use her best-est, closest friends Alice (Zoe Lister Jones -- who co-wrote this tripe) and Henry (Hamish Linklater) and whine, cry and complain to her parents (Bill Pullman and Debra Winger). Lola says something about never having been selfish before; but that is all the film is about ... all of it. I could barely stand watching this for 85 minutes ... I couldn't imagine being a person in Lola's life. Lola is apparently trying to come to terms with being a singleton -- and she writes a dissertation about the discomfort of silence which is probably supposed to figure into the story (if only she could shut up) -- but nobody cares. It is as if Lola has problems bigger and more important than others' in the world. This is a difficult watch as the writing is poor (someone buys some "nice scones" for breakfast ... "nice"?) and the characters are all unlikeable. While Gerwig is a decent actress, the film itself is simply bad. You can ignore this girl's nervous breakdown.
½ April 30, 2012