63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

London Boulevard Reviews

Anthony L

May 10, 2013
The most lethargic Gangster film ever made. Contrary to the inclusion of Sanjeev Bhaskar and Ben Chaplin and Anna Friel's performances, it's not a comedy either. It's long, boring, not frightening when it's supposed to be neither thrilling when it should be. Ray Winstone plays the least scary bad guy ever and Colin Farrell the least convincing Gangster ever, let alone a Cockney one. Then you have David Thewlis and Eddie Marsan doing not very much at all, I can only assume they were hired because they are popular right now and have loyal fans - it's the only reason I watched anyway. Forgettable to the point where I've forgotten what film it is I'm reviewing.
Lanning :

June 4, 2012
Geez, not only is this movie incomprehensible, but it's not worth comprehending. It is boring me out of my skull at 48 minutes in. But then it's Colin Farrell AND Keira Knightley -- with the affected "e" before the "y." So, in fact, only an idiot would rent this -- which must be me.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

May 3, 2012
I genuinly did not understand this movie!
It was the most confused and poorly written script that just lacked everything! You have some of the best names in the business and the reason as to why they would participate in such a poorly written and directed movie is beyond me! Wouldnt waste my time watching!
cosmo313
cosmo313

November 3, 2010
Oscar winning screenwriter William Monahan (The Departed) decides to take a spin in the director's chair, and the result is London Boulevard, a slick and stylish British crime thriller (with a fair amount of humor) about a recently paroled convict named Mitchel who tries to go straight. The only honest living he can find for himself is working as a bodyguard and handyman for a recluaive actress and painter named Charlotte...whom he also begins a romance with. Things start off well enough for him, but the pressures of both his wild friend Billy and the offers of a top mob figure named Gant make it really hard for Mitchel to settle down.

Taking cues from a few other directors, namely Scorsese, Monahan delivers up a fun and entertaining little film filled with common elements from criem cinema, such as witty banter, cool cinematography and editing, and some fantastic needle drops. It's a fun and well meaning film, just not all that original. As a first time director, he does well enough I suppose, but overall there's nothing all that distinguishable about this film.

The cast are fine, and they give some decent performances, though there's not much chemistry between Farrell and Knightley. David Thewlis steals the show as Charlotte's handler Jordan, and he's probably the best part of the film. Clearly he should have been the focus. Ray Winstone of course is awesome and menacing, and he helps the film, but it's too bad the script is kinda muddled and doesn't add up to much.

I'm a sucker for cool music and camera work and that sort of thing, and even though that stuff works decently here, it's not enough for me to bump this up a notch, even though the younger less cinematically educated me would have given this a really high score. All in all, an okay film, but not what it could be.
familiar s

March 23, 2012
Comes to rescue when there's nothing much around. Not a great one, but doesn't bore either. Predictability shouldn't be an issue. Fine for TP.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 11, 2010
Cast: Colin Farrell, Keira Knightley, David Thewlis, Anna Friel, Ben Chaplin, Ray Winstone, Eddie Marsan, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Stephen Graham, Ophelia Lovibond, Alan Williams, Jamie Blackley, Gregory Foreman

Director: William Monahan

Summary: Golden Globe winner Colin Farrell (In Bruges) stars in this gritty crime drama as Mitchell, a recently paroled ex-con whose attempt at straight life includes taking a job as a handyman for a reclusive young starlet (Keira Knightley). Based on author Ken Bruen's critically acclaimed novel, this adaptation marks the directorial debut of Academy Award-winning screenwriter William Monahan (The Departed).

My Thoughts: "I enjoyed seeing Colin and Keira on screen together, I just wish there was more of them together in the film cause what we got was a bit of a bore of a relationship. If that is what you would call it. Watching the film I kept expecting it to get better, but it just stays at being OK. The acting, the script, it was all well done, but being a gangster film I wanted to see more of that gritty bloody action. I wanted to see Mitchel and Charlotte on the run kicking ass. It didn't really go that way obviously, but that is what the film does, makes you want more then what it is giving you. The cast is fantastic. I loved Anna Friel as Briony, I thought she was a riot. David Thewlis as Jordan was great as well. I enjoy the odd quirky characters. On the plus the film does keep on a steady flow and doesn't get boring. The ending was unexpected, but no surprise coming from the director of 'The Departed'. Good not great.
Cynthia S

October 24, 2011
Subtitles are a must here. Visually fantastic "gangster" film with a really good story, and great soundtrack....and though the ending was surprising, it wasn't unexpected - especially when you realize it was written by the guy who wrote 'The Departed". Colin Farrell is aging well, and his acting outshines his good looks. Surrounding cast is outstanding, also. I sometimes wonder why some reallty good films get such low ratings here. I am VERY glad that I ignored them this time.
Lewis C

May 16, 2010
"That's why nobody wants me to be a gangster. Because I could not stop if I started."

I mainly wanted to see London Boulevard because of the pairing of Keira Knightley and Colin Farrell, and that part of the movie certainly didn't disappoint me. This is definitely Farrel's film, and he carries it well. Knightley is much more a side character, despite her prominent place in the posters and advertisements. And while she's good in her part, Farrell is what makes this interesting. The guy is absolutely ferocious in this movie, and any fans of his will be pleased.

The story of a man, fresh off of time in the prison, struggling not to be drawn into the violent criminal world that everyone around him seems to think he belongs in, is an average one. It feels a bit haphazard at times, which seems due to the way the plot continued to change as the film was being made. It progresses in leaps and fits and starts, without ever really establishing a steady flow. The scenes with Knightley and Farrell together seem from a completely different flick than the scenes with Farrell in his violent criminal element, due to the drastic differences in tone between the two. That's not a flaw in itself, but it highlights how piecemeal the whole film can feel at times.

What makes London Boulevard a memorable movie despite its issues is the characters. Beyond Farrell and Knightley's hounded actress, Anna Friel, David Thewlis, and Ray Winstone each help carry the story along with interesting roles that they play just perfectly.

I recommend London Boulevard if you're a fan of anyone involved, but don't expect a traditional English gangster flick. Or a perfect one.
jjnxn
jjnxn

February 24, 2011
Colin Farrell is an exceptional actor and he is very good here but he is defeated by a confusing script and dull direction. He and Keira share little chemistry but again that could be the fault of the script. The best part of the whole picture is the soundtrack which is full of great songs including A Heart Full of Soul which is used effectively at several intervals in the picture.
Al S

February 19, 2012
It`s the coolest crime movie of the year. It`s totally awesome. An edgy, stylish, fun and frequently entertaining crime-thriller. It`s filled with crisp dialouge, a great soundtrack and fantastic performances from the all-star cast. A great movie. Director, William Monahan crafts a great and cool film thats mixed with style, humor and great character development. A wickedly funny and hard-boiled thrill to watch. Keria Knightley is marvelous, she has improved so much as an actress with her performance here and in A Dangerous Method. Colin Farrell is outstanding, he shines with movie star calibur and never disapoints. Ray Winstone is magnificent, he is always a force to be reckoned with and gives another brilliant performance. Farrell and Winstone make formidable opponents and have great chemistry together. Farrell and Knightley have also great romantic chemistry that sizzles. An explosive crime film in the tradition of Sexy Beast and Layer Cake.
Dean !

December 2, 2010
A pretty decent London gangster flick with an impressive largely English cast. It starts a bit slow, but soon gets going. Some of the smaller story lines don't add up to much and one or two developments in the plot don't make a great deal of sense. However it is pretty decent with a good finish, a lot like Layer cake in the second half of the film.
Mark W

June 1, 2011
William Monahan is better known for his screenwriting duties. Namely, the Oscar winning "The Departed", leaving him no stranger to a gangster yarn. What is strange though, is despite being American he marks his directorial debut with a 'Landan' Cockney geezer gangster yarn.
Hardman Mitchell (Colin Farrell) gets out of prison and tries not to be lured back into crime by an old friend (Ben Chaplin) and a gang boss (Ray Winstone). He takes a job as bodyguard for a reclusive film star (Keira Knightley), but still finds it hard to go straight.
Even though Monahan is from across the pond, his attention to detail and setting for his British gangster flick is very impressive. Surprisingly, what disappoints - from a screenwriter - is a tight screenplay. The plot has more holes than the unfortunate victims of crime in this. Which is a real shame, as it's boasts an excellent cast. Farrell channels a brooding intensity and his showdowns with Winstone's gang lord are hightened with tension. The Irishman holding his own against the 'daddy'. These brief confrontations are the highlight of the film, as the rest of the cast are given nothing to work with. David Thewlis' stoned murderous hippie is unconvincing and the love interest with Kiera Knightley's pampered thespian is plain dull. The one that comes out with the plaudits is Ben Chaplin as a greasy haired weasel-like accomplice. The biggest crime in this crime film though, is the misuse of Stephen Graham ("This Is England"). He's a fabulous actor who's sadly given a thankless character and very little screen time. On the plus side, the build up to Farrell's character is intriguing. We are privy to is his reputation, but never really know what he's done or what he's capable of, until his ruthless character unravels.
It's nothing new. I've seen better, by better. A reasonably decent gangster yarn but with the actors involved, it should have been something special. Check out Brian DePalma's "Carlito's Way" instead, it's much more rewarding.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 21, 2011
I liked it alot! The movie is simple yet has a great story and some good acting, loved the actors and you can see some Guy Ritchie style to it even if he didn't directed it. Great from beginning to end.

"London Boulevard" is the story of a man newly released from prison who falls in love with a reclusive young movie star and finds himself in a duel with a vicious gangster.
Julian Left
Julian Left

March 18, 2011
"Wow, what a letdown..."

I don't know what's with Colin and why he picks all these terrible movies but I'm getting frustrated as hell... He does one decent film and after that he completely chooses the most boring and crappy script ever.

London Boulevard starts boring as hell. In the first five minutes I said "this is another bad movie with great cast" and yes it is. Besides Farrell you have the lovely Keira Knightley and the young Ophelia Lovibond (a name probably unknown for many but a face pretty recognizable) and the two british actors Ray Winstone, David Thewlis and Stephen Graham. With all that, the movie departs itself completely from reality and enters into a world of boredom and mindless savageness. I would have been more interested in a film where Colin bangs all these hot actresses attached to this messy project than to see a "whatever" type of movie.

The story mainly is about this guy Mitchell (Colin Farrell) who just out of prison gets hired by this beautiful actress Charlotte (Keira Knightley) to protect her from the paparazzi and other interferences in her life. Now, the director got it all wrong with these journalism thing. Since when 5-6 publications put the same picture of the same actress on their magazines? You could have thought about other methods to show how popular this Charlotte was but don't do such amateurish mistakes like this because it really takes away the realism. There's no such thing as 2 big tabloids having the same picture on the front page because that would be BAD BUSINESS you dumbass. Back to the topic, this guy Mitchell, even with a proper job, he still gets in parallel problems. Why? Honestly, there is no logical reason. I mean god damn... you got a nice job man, get over it. But no, he has this friend who died in ugly circ*mstances, being killed by two bastards. He goes on a personal vendetta, a pointless revenge to say the truth. With all that he goes on a criminal journey for a "big shot" jumping out in a clicheic form out of a black Rolls Royce Phantom. Laughing my ass off. ON TOP OF THAT, Mitchell and Charlotte, of course, end up together. So you got a "love story", a "revenge story", a "crime story" and a "family story" considering Mitchell's relationship with his sister (forgot to talk about that). But the film doesn't offer nothing satisfying for neither these issues. All hail the paparazzi though, at least they know what they were after because obviously the director didn't. I was surprised at times that had some funny moments which are specific for any british film. You need to have that english humor impregnated in the story otherwise the film will loose it's brit approval stamp. I enjoyed those moments but other than that there's nothing interesting left.

The acting was barely mediocre. Keira was not in her good days, Farrel did his old bored to hell character and the rest were simply "usual". Nothing to talk about so I'll go directly to the execution. First of all, the music is terrible in the movie. It has nothing to do with what's on the screen and I think it was chosen just because it sounded cool. Well, it didn't. It's one of the worst choices for a film I heard. The music was too quick for the film's slow pacing. It's like a wrong contrast between brown and purple. The camera work was average. The editing was average. Everything was under my expectations.

I honestly don't know why this movie was made. It's pointless, it has tons of bad lines, awful dialogue, mediocre acting, average execution, messy storyline... Wow, what a letdown...

Storyline/Dialogue: 4/10.
Acting: 6/10.
Art Direction: 5/10.
Cinematography/Editing: 5,5/10.
Soundtrack/Score: 4/10.
===============================
Overall: 4,9
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

February 7, 2013
"London Boulevard" starts with Mitchel(Colin Farrell) being released from prison after three years, only to find that he still has to rescue his wayward sister Briony(Anna Friel). As he does not want to return to jail, he is not really interested in his friend Billy's(Ben Chaplin) scams, either. So, instead, he follows a lead for a job from Penny(Ophelia Lovibond) to do caretaking for Charlotte(Keira Knightley), a reclusive actress, who is otherwise looked after by Jordan(David Thewlis), before Bailey(Eddie Marsan), a crooked cop, comes looking for Mitchel again.

"London Boulevard" is a stylish and thoughtful movie about two people trapped, not only by circumstance, but by fame. Along these same lines, it is interesting to see how they take different approaches to the notoriety they have been saddled with. Otherwise, the movie can be a bit haphazard at times, rotating its fine cast(including Ray Winstone who I should never, ever forget) amongst a wide variety of subplots. But what's most important are two things it has going in its favor. First, it does all come together in the end. Second, Colin Farrell with easygoing confidence takes center stage, making it look effortless and all his own in playing a character who while, as pointed out, being potentially violent, only tries to use violence as a last resort; but will not run from a fight either.
Dann M

March 29, 2012
London Boulevard has a fairly interesting story, but isn't able to do much with it. The story follows a newly released convict who picks up a job protecting a celebrity from the paparazzi. Colin Farrell, Keira Knightley, and Ray Winstone give barely adequate performances and aren't able to do anything with the material. The film has too many subplots that just clutter up the story instead of making it richer. Still, parts of the film work and it's able to maintain some thrill and suspense. London Boulevard is a mildly entertaining film, but it's instantly forgettable.
Jeffrey M

May 20, 2012
A messy, interesting, but appropriately stylistic gangster thriller, London Boulevard is a mixed bag. The performances are strong all around, but the script never gives each character arc or plot line its proper doing, making the film seemed disjointed and tonally uneven. The is also exacerbated by some thick British accents which make the dialogue, generally well written, sometimes hard to decipher. Still, I really enjoyed the strong ending, and felt the dynamic between Knightley and Ferrell to have been especially well done. Overall, despite its flaws, London Boulevard manages to do enough right to keep you engaged.

3/5 Stars
PantaOz
PantaOz

July 22, 2011
It's funny how people who hate film noir went to see London Boulevard and than got dissaponted with this well made British film noir released in the United Kingdom on 26 November 2010. The movie is based on a novel by Ken Bruen with screenplay and direction by William Monahan, marking his directorial debut. And with the help of Keira Knightley, Colin Farrell, David Thewlis, Anna Friel and Ray Winstone, that debut was successfull!

Mitchel ('Colin Farrell' ) just got out of jail and wants to stay legitimate but his friends involved in the messy London underground fear him and wants him to join them again but Mitchel tries his best to stay away. He gets himself a job as a bodyguard for a retired actress Charlotte (Keira Knightley) who is still hot news for the paparazzi. Mitchell, through his friend Billy eventually meets the underground Don by the name of Gant (Ray Winstone) who wants Mitch to work for him because of Mitch's reputations. While working together Mitch and Charlotte fall in love. Gant asks Billy to get the guy who sent Mitch to jail but it turns out to be the wrong one, Gant kills the guy in front of Mitch and lets Mitch know that he has to work for him now that Mitch has seen him commit the murder but Mitch refuses. Gant keeps trying to force Mitch to his side promising him good ranks and positions...

OK... I can see why people would not like the story... but it was well made for a "heavy" movie... and I enjoyed the acting...
Christopher H

October 6, 2011
With the spot-on advertising and stacked ensemble cast, I wanted to love this film. Instead, I only mildly enjoyed it. Truth be told, Colin Farrell has a lock on these character types, with London Boulevard coming off similar to In Bruges. Farrell fits the part, playing the suave, cool-headed ex-con on the up-and-up, taking a job as a bodyguard and getting caught up in the wrong crowds, all while falling for the girl. Though the pacing of the film could have used some work, the performances make the film worth it.
Philip P

February 21, 2012
William Monahan is mainly known for his writing, whether it be for the Academy award winning "The Departed" or that underrated Mel Gibson thriller "The Edge of Darkness" but either way his past projects certinly give an indication of where his directorial debut "London Boulevard" would be headed. Featuring an in sync Colin Farrell and the always chilling and frequent Monahan collaborator Ray Winstone facing off against one another and Kiera Knightley as eye candy, Monahan has crafted an underground crime drama that feels like Guy Ritchie light. The plot strands are numerous and it doesn't all add up to much that always makes sense but that doesn't make it any less entertaining. The dialogue (Monahan also penned the script here as well) is quick and witty and the tone is about pitch perfect as Monahan relies heavily on a soundtrack to set his mood. Though this is nothing new and certainly something you've seen before it all ends up feeling like a lovely mess. The story centers around an ex con (Farrell0 trying to make a fresh start and ends up doing so by starting a romance with a reclusive actress (Knightley). That is just scratching the surface as you can imagine that other gangsters want Farell's Mitchell in their crew as he is certainly good at what he does, but yearns to leave that behind. There are moments that feel tepid and certain sections where scenes feel strung together with no consistency, but I'll give Monahan a break as thisis his first go around with his hands on all the buttons. Plus, if you've been missing these British gangster dramas while Ritchie's been occupied with "Sherlock Holmes" this is a welcome distraction and will do fine for the time being.