Lone Wolf and Cub - Baby Cart at the River Styx (Kozure Ôkami: Sanzu no kawa no ubaguruma) (Shogun Assassin) Reviews

July 28, 2011
The second film in the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' series is better then the first. As Ogami Itto continues his journey he is forced to battle a group of female ninja and assasinate a traitor out to sell secrets. 'Baby Cart at the River Styx' is far more defined then the first film, now the concept is firmly in place the film has freedom to operate much more freely and flesh out its interesting lead character as well as a cast of interesting side characters and Daigoro (Ogami's son). 'Baby Cart at the River Styx' also feels far more well rounded then the first in the series and has a better ending (which was my main complaint with the first). Much like the first in the series this installment takes violence and uses it in an extreme yet poetic style alongside artistic imagery and often dead silience. As well as Ogami's journey the second film also features an interesting side plot about the leader of the female ninja coming to terms with her own abilities, the will to survive and honor. The series feels as if it is leading up to something great so I hope it lives up to the expectations set in place by this film.
rubystevens
April 13, 2008
the saga of freelance assassin ogami itto and his young son daigoro continues in bloody style. in this episode, daigoro is kidnapped by ninjas and thrown from a burning ship! there's a clan of badass females, a guy with a freddy kruger hand and the final showdown in the sand is particularly thrilling. just as much fun as the first, with some touching scenes between father and son as well. i guess it's the woman in me that makes me wanna yell: hey, watch that kid! lol
½ April 10, 2007
I didn't like Baby Cart at the River Styx as much as Sword of Vengeance but it had a damn fine opening and finale. The fights were (like Sword of Vengeance's) incredible but I liked the story slightly less. Still worth checking out though.
½ June 29, 2007
One of the best in the series.
January 6, 2008
I have read all 28 volumes of the graphic novel and was blown away each time I read it. If Peter Jackson wanted a story that could rival the intensity of LOTR, then this is definitely one to consider.

The movie is pure 70's fashion with outlandish special effects and a massive amount of squirting/shooting blood. Compared to today's standards, it is hokey and overdone. But the heart of the film is well done.
November 15, 2013
More action and also more violent than the first film.
½ August 4, 2012
Baby Cart at the River Styx is just as stylistically powerful as Sword of Vengeance. It explores an even more interesting sensibility by having adorable scenes featuring the titular "cub" and it is truly a huge delight. There are few more awkward moments in the film that are just as unnerving as in the first film, but they still don't affect the experience much. Overall, the second film of the Lone Wolf and Cub series is just as thrilling, exciting, and mesmerizing as the first.
½ August 10, 2007
"One must try one's best, before one bows to fate." Basically, it's awesome. Takes the 1st one and puts it to shame, in terms of action and violence. However, they stray away from the main arc and story in general. But that didn't bother me in the slightest. I mean, come on, this one has ninjas! (and also three brothers called The Gods Of Death) Oh, and I noticed a camera effect that I've only seen in one other movie...wait for it...Kung Pow. Your mind is now blown.
July 28, 2011
July 19, 2010
The Grandious Second Part of the Lone Wolf and Cub is a entertaining and extremly violent Samurai Movie brilliant directed with bombastic Fighting Scenes and with a great Soundtrack
July 19, 2010
"Baby Cart at the River Styx" is the second volume in a series of films whose violence is so fucking extreme and strong, that you can't help but enjoy it. Each fight seems to race from the last, baying to display what it is capable of showing. Sure, the movie isn't a masterpiece by any stretch, but it is far more enjoyable than the typical shoot-out films Hollywood deems violent. The movie is set in Wuxia Japan, where clans rule supreme and armies of men with straw hats and samurai swords deal justice to the peasants. The famed assassin "Lone Wolf and Cub" is dispatched to eliminate three brothers (with Straw hats) who are causing trouble in the clans.

Chinese or Japanese Martial Arts gore-fests are simply a guilty pleasure and an exercise in style, they never hold any real significance other than to entertain with ultra-violence; occasionally one will stand out, like "Lady Snowblood" which use new camera shots and settings to create a mysterious inviting world is different and fresh; but movies like "Babycart" entertain some, sicken others.
½ July 19, 2010
Of a slightly higher caliber than [i]Sword Of Vengeance[/i], [i]Baby Cart At The River Styx[/i] features even [i]more [/i]breastfeeding & flying limb action.
½ July 19, 2010
The Lone Wolf series continues to be highly entertaining. While I consider this episode to be the lowliest of the bunch so far, it still had some ripping moments. I loved the film's opening. I have to go back and rescore the others to 8's, I think.

Because if I can't put the Bourne Ultimatum on a 6, as it does do its quick cutting job well enough, and I make it a 7, then the esteem I hold for LWC is not properly reflected. Nothing much to say here. It's the attractive idea in both these films that the individual can be almost superpowered in defiance of all odds as the powers that be seek to destroy one that makes it work for so many people.

The Prestige features a dark plotline, great acting, a bit of a twist, and for all that I was waiting for it to end. My response is that of '5', but there just was too much to argue to give it the negative score. Still, I won't need to see it again.

Off to rescore Lone Wolf and Cub!
July 19, 2010
A SUPERB MOVIE I REMEMBER WATCHING SHOGUN ASSASSIN NEVER REALISING THE MOVIE WAS SPLICED FROM TWO MOVIES...IMAGINE MY HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY (SORRY REN & STMPY) WHEN I FOUND THERE WERE SIX MOVIES SIX HOURS AND EVEN BETTER 28 DARK HORSE PAPERBACKS TO COLLECT....WOW
THE VIOLENCE IS GRAPHIC BUT TRUE TO THE GENRE I RECOMMEND THIS IF ONLY TO SEE THE CLIMATIC FIGHT BETWEEN THE MASTERS OF DEATH AND SIR ITTO.....SUPERB.......THE BOAT SCENE IN WHICH THE MASTERS OF DEATH
(3 BROTHERS WHO USE DIFFERENT WEAPONS A HAMMER A CLAW AND MAILED PAIR OF GLOVES) WIPE OUT A DOZEN BRAVE SOULS IS GREAT STUFF.....THE NINJA WOMEN WHO JUMPS OUT OF HER KIMONO HAS TO BE SEEN TO BE BELIVED A LITTLE SILLY BUT WHO CARES THE FIGHT SCENES ARE GREAT AND WHEN YOURE BOSS SUMMONS YOU INTO A ROOM FULL OF WOMEN NOT SMILING......DONT GO IN!