Paul W.S. Anderson Having a Long Good Friday

Fans of the original having a very gloomy Monday.

It isn't widely known to American audiences, but John Mackenzie's 1979 gangster drama The Long Good Friday is recognized as a classic of British film -- which is precisely why it may perturb its fans to learn a remake is in the works.

A remake to be written and directed by Paul W.S. Anderson.

Anderson's work has its fans, of course -- and there's something to be said for acts of stylized violence such as Alien vs. Predator and Resident Evil -- but given that his films boast an average Tomatometer rating of 23 percent, it's fair to say those fans are outnumbered by unimpressed critics such as the Village Voice's Gary Dauphin, who accused Anderson of "a cheerful disregard for characterization and visual texture" in his review for 1998's Soldier. (And that's actually one of the kinder quotes we found.)

This all helps to explain why Anderson took it cheerfully in stride when Empire came calling this week, wanting to know why he felt it necessary to remake such a beloved film. After joking that he was doing it "to win Oscars," he called The Long Good Friday one of his favorite films -- then boasted that not even Martin Scorsese had been able to obtain approval from the film's rights holders for a remake. How did Anderson succeed where Scorsese failed? According to the director, he "had a take on it that they really liked, and I think they knew that I would respect the original movie enough to keep the essence of the original film."

That "take" involves moving the action from London to Miami, and abandoning the IRA subplot. From the article:

"It's not the IRA in ours, but it is another terrorist organisation, and we're doing it in Miami, so we're re-imagining it for America. Otherwise the story beats and characters will pretty much play out.

It will have the same human cortège scene at the start; the spitting in the face; he's been away somewhere, but it won't have been to New York...I think the script [of the original film], Barrie Keeffe's original screenplay, is so good. And the story is a great story with a great twist in it. And it's pretty remarkable that your lead character is a gangster and you really root for him.

I think it's a great movie for a remake, because outside of the UK it's virtually unknown and it was very much a movie of its time. It really captured that London of that time in the same way we're hopefully going to capture Miami of right now."

As Empire points out, Anderson hasn't said anything to curb fans' suspicions about the remake -- but then again, he was the guy who won the remake rights, so maybe it'll all turn out for the best in the end. To read more of Anderson's interview, click on the link below!

Source: Empire

Comments

CartoonWorldVGM

Brandon Adams

I must admit that even though I Paul W.S. Anderson is a passable director (average at best mind you), he cannot write to save his own life.

Oct 12 - 05:38 AM

CartoonWorldVGM

Brandon Adams

It looks like I can't write a comment to save my life either without a grammatical error of some kind. XD

Oct 12 - 05:40 AM

HFGIII

Hugh Gilmore

Harold & Victoria need to take out a hit on W.S. Anderson!

Oct 12 - 05:51 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

Hehe... it looks like you were you saying you are Paul WS Andersen. :) Which would then also prove your point about his writing.

Oct 12 - 05:56 AM

CartoonWorldVGM

Brandon Adams

Yeah, apparently, I didn't drink enough caffeine this morning. :P

Oct 12 - 06:10 AM

CartoonWorldVGM

Brandon Adams

Yeah, apparently, I didn't drink enough caffeine this morning. :P

Oct 12 - 06:10 AM

D-ROCK21

John Dotson

This is a bad idea. I was actually a fan of the first Resident Evil film but everything else this guy has done has been ****. Here I have a better idea, lets give the remake rights to "Casablanca" to Rob Cohen. Instead of it taking place in Germany, they can make the setting Japan. The title can be switched to "Casablanca: Tokyo Drift". I need to be a Hollywood Exec.

Oct 12 - 07:13 AM

Amish

Amish Cantor

Ahem cough It was Morroco cough not Germany cough. We'll get right on that Mr. D-Rock, would you like a cappucino or a latte Mr. D-Rock. Remember your Yoga class before lunch Mr. D-Rock sir.

Oct 12 - 07:38 AM

Amish

Amish Cantor

Oct 12 - 07:38 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I kinda liked "Event Horizon", and I know most people don't. But other than that, I hate everything he's ever done. Needless to say, I don't necessarily have high hopes for this.

Oct 12 - 08:32 AM

Dr_Kenneth_Noisewater

Kenneth Noisewater

I liked _Event Horizon_ as well, and even _Soldier_, but this scares me.

And does anyone remember how badly the US remake butchered _Get Carter_? I mean come on people, it was one of Michael Caine's signature roles, couldn't you just leave it alone?!

Oct 12 - 01:55 PM

D-ROCK21

John Dotson

My bad amish... it's been a while since i've seen Casablanca, for some reason I thought it was Germany because it took place during World War II. I feel like an idiot for not remembering Casablanca is a Morroccan City. I'm just simply saying most of these corporate hollywood *******s keep screwing up classics. Just because they think we will flee to a product we are familiar with. And most of the time they are right. This is why they will keep remaking great movies and putting out endless sequels. It's not about the art of film anymore, it's about the profit. Movies are products like cereal now. Am I making sense at all... feel free to disagree... comments?

Oct 12 - 08:12 PM

hewpot

Ballsack Enormous

**** this guy

Oct 12 - 04:34 PM

birddog200

d m

"...and I think they knew that I would respect the original movie enough to keep the essence of the original film."

LOL, this guys gonna take this orinal movie idea, hack away at the story until its utter crap, read it, then hack it somemore till its so craptastic that it reaches his "vision".

Oct 12 - 06:15 PM

Kudos Mooney

Jeremy Mullins

Paul W.S. Anderson.

What's there to really say? What can be said that hasn't been said already? Who really cares?

Hey, maybe there'll be a giant Jurassic Park-lite moment at the end of this remake (is that the take the original film's rights owners wanted?)

This man is an abomination, just barely passing Uwe Boll in the "Crappiest Directors Ever". People in other countries have their hands cut off for stealing an apple; this idiot gets to remake movies he has no business understanding in the first place. I hope he gets mauled by a cougar. Just randomly. It would make my month.

Oct 12 - 07:14 PM

D-ROCK21

John Dotson

Oct 12 - 08:12 PM

TheAncientEnemy

derek noname

This is the same line of crap Anderson has been trying to make people believe for as long as I can remember. Using his own name in the same sentence as Scorsese should be a crime.

Oct 12 - 08:54 PM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

[b]Anderson succeed where Scorsese failed[/b]

This sentence, by the very laws of nature and MegaCity One alone, is an outrageous impossibility. Makes for a good punchline, though...

Oct 12 - 11:04 PM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

Even though I like [i]Event Horizon[/i] and [i]Soldier[/i], Paulie hasn't impressed since. If he wanted to, he could use the rights to make the UK less of an unseen marvel, that he deems it as, by sheparding its DVD release.

Oct 12 - 11:08 PM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

Nevermind, I just saw the DVD link below. Still, this news don't make it right.

Oct 12 - 11:30 PM

robzass

Dan Barrett

Dear Heavenly Father, if you happen to cruise the rotten tomatoes news section and stumble upon this comment, please make hollywood stop making bad remakes of great films.

Oct 12 - 11:30 PM

taran72

Dan Mills

Luckily for me, I only remember the last W.S. Anderson movie I saw. The bad news is, that movie was the last Resident Evil, which was one the the worst movies I've seen in a theater since the RE before that. The guy really is a hack.

Oct 13 - 11:48 AM

PeeledLabelZ

Samuel Damewood

I'll make this short and sweet:

Scorsese is not what he used to be.

Anderson isn't that great of a director.

Oct 15 - 10:50 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer