The Long Riders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Long Riders Reviews

March 27, 2016
Good film, but it was shallow in places and I didn't feel I knew them very well. That said it just becomes a show, not a story.
½ January 8, 2016
Walter Hill's Western.
½ December 13, 2015
Good guy flick. Good cast.
February 4, 2015
Solid story, stunning gunfight action sequences that I found riveting, and real life brothers portray the brothers of the story. These actors are in top form here, so break out the western boots and ten gallon hat - you're in for a tense, sweet ride.

4 out of 5 yeehaws
February 19, 2014
Doesn't start too well, with lots of clichés and a scattered script, but the third act really kicks ass, especially that beautifully put together shootout.You can see where Milch found the inspiration for the mood of Deadwood. James Keach is no good.
November 26, 2013
Walter Hill's naturalistic retelling of the oft filmed tale of Jesse James. The film also has the novelty of real-life siblings playing the various outlaw siblings, with Robert, Keith and Robert Carradine as the Younger brother, Stacy and James Keach as Frank and Jesse James, Randy and Dennis Quaid and the Miller brothers, and Nicholas and Christoper Guest as the Ford brothers. Beside that gimmick, which is actually a pretty cool gimmick, it's a well made western that is far more concerned about the characters' relationships with one another and their lives outside of being outlaws. There are still a number of shootout and robberies, but that is not the focus of this film. As you guess from the casting, family plays a major theme in the film.
½ September 23, 2013
Long Riders is a bit of a mixed bag, with plenty to admire but also some decidedly mediocre phases to the film. The cinematography is fantastic, and the gun fights spectacular, especially the final shoot out after the failed bank robbery. The use of real life brothers to play on screen siblings was also an interesting departure, but this in itself actually became a distracting curiosity as it was not clear who was who, and it took me most of the film's run time to work out all the relationships. James Stacey who does play Jesse James was also a miserable choice for the lead, being as wooden and stiff as a railway sleeper and comprehensively out-acted by David Carradine, playing the bowie knife wielding Cole Younger, the only other discernible character. It is a reasonable film, but lacks the depth and character development of the more recent Assassination of Jesse James with Brad Pitt.
July 27, 2013
This movie was not good. I don't know where these ratings came from. Don't bother.
July 5, 2013
Walter Hill's James gang is made up three Carradine's, two Keach's and a couple of Quaid's but there is only one Edward Bunker. Great cinematography and action covers up a weak storyline. Good score from Ry Cooder. One thing I couldn't get me head round was a cowboy Nigel Tufnel.
May 23, 2007
This is an excellent western. The locations were filmed at places that looked like Missouri. The clothing was right for the times. The guns were correct. The movie covers several years in the life of the James and Younger brothers. They started out with cap and ball revolvers but as the movie went on they transitioned to cartridge revolvers. The best part was the music. They used authentic music from the 19th century. I got the sound track album before I ever saw the movie because I read in a magazine that it was the best Blue Grass album of 1980. I didn't see the movie until I bought the laserdisc. The movie uses actual brothers to play brothers in the movie. The gunfight at the end of the movie is one of the best gunfights in western movie history. My only hang up with the movie was when Cole Younger goes to Texas to see Belle Starr. When Belle Starr was married to Sam Starr she was living in Oklahoma not Texas. They left out the Oklahoma connection to the James/Younger gang. Many of their hideouts were in Indian Territory. Frank James spent his old age living in Lawton, Oklahoma. Randy Quaid has the funniest character in the movie. David Carradine plays Cole Younger and it is one of his better roles.
June 5, 2013
The film with all the Hollywood brothers!
July 7, 2007
A terrific cast and Walter Hill's a cool director, but I found it a bit boring.
May 12, 2013
Enjoyable western which portrays the James-Younger gang who were a group of brothers that robbed banks and trains all through out post Civil War Missouri. The characters in the movie are all portrayed by acting brothers such as David, Keith and Robert Carradine playing the Younger brothers, James and Stacy Keach playing Jesse and Frank James and Dennis and Randy Quaid playing the Ed and Clell Miller. The film is not historically accurate, but gives the audience an idea of what this gang was like. There are some strong performances most notably between David Carradine and James Keach. I'm used to David Carradine playing nothing but kung fu masters, Robert Carradine playing nerds and Randy Quaid playing bumbling idiots, but the roles they played in this show they're more than just typecast. They're all actors who can play a diverse range of characters. I enjoyed the setting, cinematography and the music as it all fit with the time frame of the film. I loved the shoot out scenes and the film doesn't stop for breath when it comes to their interpersonal relationships when it comes to post robbing celebrations. I thought the ending was a little cheesy and the attitudes of the gang turned 180 near the climax. That's all I'll say. I don't watch too many westerns, but I have to say that if I came up with a top 10 Western film list, this movie would be in that category.
½ April 19, 2013
This should have been called..."The Everybody and their brother Riders" because that's pretty much what it was. You had all the Carradine,Keach,Guest and Quaid brothers as western outlaws, who rob trains,stage coaches and blow away sheriffs.
This was a pretty good early 80s western effort directed by one of my favorite directors...Walter Hill. Coming off the comic book like action packed gang movie "The Warriors" this was a totally different direction than I think most people expected from him but it was just as good as his other more well known work. One of the best westerns ever In my opinion and if you haven't seen this, you're really missing out.
½ March 10, 2013
Directed by Walter Hill (The Warriors (1979), Southern Comfort (1981) and Bullet To The Head (2013)), this is a very heavy going western, which was co-written and co-produced by two of it's stars. It seemed like a bit of a gimick, having 4 sets of acting brothers playing 4 real life sets of brothers in the American West. But it's a gimmick that works well, and there's some good set pieces in the film. This is set between 1866 and 1882, and it follows the exploits of the James-Younger gang, led by Jesse James (James Keach) and Cole Younger (David Carradine), along with their collective brothers Frank James (Stacy Keach), Jim Younger (Keith Carradine) and Bob Younger (Robert Carradine), they also had Ed Miller (Dennis Quaid) and Clell Miller (Randy Quaid) in their gang. They rob trains and banks, but it gets dangerous when Rixley (James Whitmore, Jr.) from the Pinkerton agency is on their tail, and it turns into a bloodbath in Northfield, Minnesota, but their downfall comes at the hands of Charley Ford (Christopher Guest) and Robert Ford (Nicholas Guest). There's a lot to like about this film, it's well filmed and it's focused and to the point, it has a brilliant score by Hill regular Ry Cooder as well. While studio United Artists weeped for their bank balance over Heaven's Gate (1980), this showed how it SHOULD have been done.
½ November 4, 2011
Poor attempt at a western
January 26, 2013
A very different kind of Western. You may not want to be eating while you are watching it.
January 19, 2013
Ok Western-drama, detailing the exploits of the James-Younger gang (Jesse James et al). Not very captivating though: seems pretty much join-the-dots. You never get to feel much empathy for any of them. Just seems kind of bland.

This said, the action sequences are good. The slo-mo shooting sequences are a bit overdone though, and weren't necessary in the first place.

Good performances from three sets of brothers in the main roles: David, Keith and Robert Carradine as the Youngers, James and Stacy Keach as Jesse and Frank James respectively and Dennis and Randy Quaid as the Millers.

Entertaining enough, but not great.
½ January 5, 2013
Pretty solid up until a rushed and anticlimactic ending. The stunt casting is more interesting in theory than in practice.