—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Looking for Richard Reviews

Zach B

September 20, 2011
It is hard to imagine a world in which William Shakespeare has not, in one way or another, impacted our world. From how we view entertainment to the plans of our Government, they have all been influenced by the plays, sonnets, and poems of this one man. But with entertainment has Shakespeare impacted the most. To date, he is the only playwright whose works have been preformed the most, interpreted the most, and above all else, cherished the most. However, there is only one group of people that can say that they have been impacted the most by his works and that is actors. Now, why actors? That is because the only true, real way to understand Shakespeare is to act out one of his plays and live the life his creations have lived. Now, in the ninty nineties, actor Al Pacino (The Godfather Trilogy, Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface, Carlito's Way) decided to go and direct a handful of films to show the world in a way an actor sees. One of these films is this documentary that chronicles Pacino's involvement in a production of Richard III (said to be the most confusing, yet most preformed play written by Shakespeare). While showing his involvement, he says at the beginning that he is also wanting to show the world the Shakespeare he loves and his views. With numerous interviews with random people on the streets of New York and fellow actors, we can see that Shakespeare has sense become something of an idea that people only know the basics of but no one really knows who or what he is. Now, I first heard of this documentary completely by accident when I was looking up films to do with Al Pacino. When I sat down and watched this documentary, what it done was reopen my eyes to the power of Shakespeare and the legacy that he created for us all. But what really captivated me was how difficult it is for professional actors to preform Shakespeare. I know of people that think that, for actors, it is easy due to them being trained. Well, this film shows that, along with how confused the actors get over the story of Richard III. But what really makes this entire documentary stand out is how Al Pacino filmed rehearsals, made his own mini-film of Richard III (as in, found locations, got the costumes, and filmed a traditional film), and shows to such lengths to understand the mind of Shakespeare and his life. While all of that is going on, Pacino does try to make a point: Americans can have an understanding and an appreciation for Shakespeare. Early in this documentary, there is an interview with a person who, in a rather obscene way, say that the only people who even take Shakespeare seriously are the Japanese. And he is right. Over the past few decades, as English speaking nations (mostly America) start to bastardize their own language, other cultures have adapted into our past of playwrights and learn their own magic from these printed words. Plus, as said by one British Professor in the film, when America does a Shakespeare play, they just end up mimicking the British in such a way that it brings pure disgrace. Al Pacino had set out a complete quest to prove that America can still learn from and love Shakespeare, and if you are asking if he is able to accomplish that, you must see this documentary. It will open your eyes and give you a complete appreciation for the works of the man who is considered to be the greatest English playwright in history.
nuheart
nuheart

January 4, 2007
A documentary about the making of a movie... but not really, since they weren't MAKING the movie, they were making the documentary. More an exploration of the play, maybe. I don't know, but I found it fascinating all the same.
Michael G

November 19, 2006
Self-indulgent crap. A decent cast is all its got working for it.
Mike T

June 29, 2006
A study of acting from the master, Al Pacino. Although it's not totally concise, this is a very entertaining examination of the measures taken by actors to develop a character, and of Shakespeare's role in modern society. Highly recommended for Pacino fans and aspiring actors.
Ina S

June 17, 2008
Fantastic, original and insightful.
January 27, 2014
Excellent documentary that discusses Shakespeare and one of his most famous plays, "Richard III." Through discussion and staging scenes from the play, Pacino and crew give us a layman's view on the Bard and his masterworks!
olgakorobova2002
November 18, 2010
some interesting moments, but the purpose of the film/documentary is unclear. doesn't seem to be educational or a production of richard iii...really not sure what this was at all, but not horribly boring.
philliprenke
November 1, 2010
This is an interesting documentary made by Al Pacino about him adapting a version of Richard III. We see behind the scenes rehersals with the performed versions and interviews with anyone from scholars to people on the street about who Shakespeare was.
October 15, 2009
pretty decent documentary. for as much as they talked about "bringing Shakespeare to the common people", aside from a few incidental interviews on the street, there weren't really any common people to be seen. it's just Pacino and Company engaged in heated and occasionally humourous debate about how to best stage and perform Richard III. that being said, though, the character and scene analyses were quite excellent and the performances are overall very enjoyable. great interpretation of Shakespeare, but still maybe a bit high-brow.
somebody421
May 18, 2009
I enjoyed it. I'm not sure how well this achieves the goal of selling Shakespeare to a mass audience--several people who watched this with me were not happy.
October 31, 2008
It's a documentary that includes a movie so you don't have to watch 3 different films... Absolutely FANTASTIC, a great way to a) explain Shakespeareb) examine behind the scenes c) tell an otherwise difficult story (being Shakespeare)
TemplarThursday
February 8, 2008
Love the editing in this one, the way they intentionally cut back and forth betweent the actors in real life rehearsing their lines to them performing the actual play, so it kind of blends together with the actors and their characters. Extremely interesting.
January 9, 2008
Extremely overlooked. Part documentary, part dramatization, ALL an examination of the importance of Shakespeare in our society...and a great dissection of Richard III.
SonnyLighstrome
December 29, 2007
One of Al Pacino's hidden gems....this explores the view and perception of Shakespeare in American society. I would urge anyone that fears reading Shakespeare's plays, as Richard the Third is broken down and explained (and then acted out by) Pacino and company. Good stuff.
September 19, 2007
If you want to see the real deal when it comes to great actors, check this movie out... Al Pacino kicks ass in so many ways!
dammitdano
July 16, 2007
Al Pacino breaks down Shakespeare for a confused populace. Focusing on Richard the Third, this documentary explores the world of Shakespeare, and makes it more accessable to those who were baffled. Amazing.
lavenderfawn
June 8, 2007
I love Pacino in this...he is manical and a bit obsessed with King Richard. It's a little weird. I thought Keanu Reeves was hard to listen to reciting Shakespeare; he'll always sound like a surfer to me.
May 1, 2007
Excellent docu-drama from Mr. Pacino. A good way of learning how a play is developed from the mere idea of putting it on stage, to the actual performance of it. A lot of cameos. It's a fun movie to watch. Don't know if its already on DVD but check it out. It's worth every minute of it!
SolsticeGuy
April 5, 2007
To see a master craft his art is nothing short of incredible. A must see for anyone interested in Shakespeare.
lordakiyama
November 11, 2006
What I really like about this movie is what an actor and/or director does to get a better understanding and knowledge of the project they are doing. In making this film, he provides a nice little study piece into acting, directing, performing and understanding Shakespeare. And that is always worth checking.