—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Looney Tunes: Back in Action Reviews

Phil H

January 15, 2014
Not quite hot on the heels of 'Space Jam' but clearly whipped out to try and garner as much success as said film, how could they fail?.

Well for a start the plot is a jumbled mess that tries its hand at various movie genres and not quite deciding which to stick with. All the Looney Tunes stars are crammed into the film given various roles which just feels forced and unnecessary. Its the usual thing of Bugs and Daffy working together (well you know they don't get on right?) and teaming up with the fresh faced Fraser to thwart evil Steve Martin who is possibly the worst thing in the entire film, talk about over the top-over acting and not being funny at the same time!.

This film feels so phony, such a product placement hack of a flick. The action moves from place to place including a wide range of gimmicks just to cover all the bases and try to appeal to everyone. There are sequences in Vegas which end up in a car chase which isn't too bad but that all leads to the inevitable Bond spoofing ugh!. There is an Area 51 sequence which of course leads to some familiar sci-fi creations popping up. Lets just say the film spoofs/homages almost every flippin' film they can muster at various points throughout the films run time.

I guess the casting of Dalton kinda gives the game away as what to expect though doesn't it. Oh Dalton, oh geez I guess its a Bond spoof again everyone, how very original.

I realise that's the whole point of the film, its a full length parody made up of various little moments or sketches where each character has a spot in the light to shine. A film within a film, breaking the fourth wall, cute little in-jokes and product placements etc...yeah I know the drill, problem is its just really lame. The plot just feels totally pointless, you don't really need the plot, just call it a montage movie.

One thing I must give praise too is the sharp animation of all the classic characters plus their integration into the live action. Its clearly much slicker than 'Space Jam' and the live actors are impressively responsive to their cartoon counterparts. Despite every gag being predictable and unoriginal the whole thing does look really glossy and polished.

But seriously! I mean come on...we even get Indiana Jones jungles and lava flows plus outer space action towards the end! just stick em all in there, something we appeal to someone!. The funny thing is Fraser is perfectly cast for this type of film, the guy the looks and acts like a cartoon, that's why he's in so many kiddie flicks. Not a bad thing per say...I'm just pointing it out.

I think kids will enjoy the film for its bright colourful visuals and the inclusion of all their favourite characters. Adults may get a slight kick from some of the parodies and reasonable gags from time to time (much like the brief 'Pulp Fiction' parody in 'Space Jam'). Overall this is such a clusterfuck of ideas it just feels like a bombardment from many sources, but instead of narrowing it down they just use everything, throw it all into the pot, give it a good stir and see what happens.

The other issue is simply these classic toons will never be the same again without good old Mel Blanc I'm afraid. Even 'Space Jam' suffered from the same problem, the characters just don't have that same bite, they lost their satirical edge when Blanc died sadly and that doesn't appear to have been brought back. I think the characters are slightly watered down these days, playing it safe, maybe its just me.

I honesty think they chucked so many settings and movie concepts into this simply for it to appeal to everyone. I think the term recycled sums this up pretty well, a tribute to the WB Looney tunes by merely recycling all their classic goofiness. Question is did we really need it as its nowhere near as good.

There's something in there for everyone whether you like space, jungles, Vegas, Bond or even a bit of culture in Paris, its all here folks!.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 6, 2011
A very entertaining tribute to classic Looney Tunes cartoons and a very diffeent take on them too of which they are all just animated actors. The effects are well done and although the toons steal the show it's still a really fun ride and will bring a smile to everyone's faces big and small.
Lucas M

May 20, 2011
The bad plot and the excited, but terrible screenplay, don't made this movie a good thing to the filmography of Looney Tunes. With the nonsense gags based in old cartoons, Larry Doyle and Joe Dante does another damm motion picture that gonna make the audience think twice, before watch the next Looney Tunes's film. And question himself if the next movie of Bugs Bunny and your gang, be better that the last. Other hand, the better is the Tunes never more back in action... in cinema. Rotten.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 23, 2011
Ok, the Looney Tunes are cool and funny. But thats just because, well, ITS THE LOONEY TUNES!!! The plot, actors, and settings ar boring, horrible, & couldve been done better. The comedy is pretty good though, but as I said, its only cause its The Looney Tunes.
Ken S

April 7, 2007
What starts out as promising, quickly turns to cinematic crap once Steve Martin shows up.
KJ P

May 5, 2010
I liked it, but I didn't love it! I mildly recommend it, and say that it could have been done so much better!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 22, 2007
Good this Movie is not bad, I rather stuck on those Looney Toons Cartoons. I use to love to wake up early saturday mornings just for this tiny guys as a kid while my parents were still snoring. lol
There is nothing comparing to those Saturday Mornings Cartoons my Friends.
Nicki M

January 16, 2008
Really not my type of thing at all and I have to admit to skipping through most of the last half hour, but it was kind of clever how they had the cartoon and live action bits at the same time and some of the jokes in it were actually funny. Also a shocker to see Steve Martin actually play a funny character, (I know he usually does in his movies, but I don't generally FIND them funny).
Kidsy sort of films in general just do not hold my attention, but this was not too painful for what it was. I would certainly prefer to sit through this than Ice Age!
Gx7
Gx7

March 30, 2009
Hollywood Times
Headline News:
Ssshhufering sshhuckatacks! Daffy gets canned!

DJ Drake (Brendan Fraser) and Daffy Duck gets the boot from Warner studios VP executive Kate Houghton (Jenna Elfman, from "Dharma and Gregg") and are now on a mission to find the legendary Blue Monkey and save his superspy/actor father (Timothy Dalton - 007, Licence to Kill) from the hands of Mr. Chairman, (head of ACME Corporation) and his evil minions.

As far as screwball comedies and Looney Tunes is concerned, this one didnt have the same zest as the other WB Looney films. Yes, It was still funny but... a lot of things fell so flat in this movie. I think Jenna Elfman was misplaced in this movie and some of the cartoon clips added to the scenes were edited.. a bit shoddy.

Final Verdict: Looney Tunes went from Class A kids entertainment to the same quality of products Wile E. Coyote has been getting from ACME.

Oh well! As Porky always says;

Abade-abade-abade-abade!
That's All Folks!

Director: Joe Dante
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 26, 2007
Cute movie a bit like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? where tunes and humans mix together. Good cast with lots of cool Looney Tune characters.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
As someone who pretty much enjoyed Space Jam ten years ago I wanted to check out this as well. The movie's problem is that it tries to please all ages. The goofing around of the cartoons is only funny for kids, the movie quotes and references for adults. The best moments are the rather subtle ones, making fun of the movie business or the actors themselves (especially Fraser and Dalton show they don't take their image too seriously). Of course you don't get bored for a second and it's all over before you get too annoyed. But considering that Steve Martin was in some of the funniest movies of the 80s his appearance here is somewhat troubling.
Lafe F

July 14, 2007
A whole movie devoted to Looney Tunes mixed with live action! The characters could be themselves, and didn't have to mess with basketball players, or share screen time with other Toon franchises. It's a nice visit with each of our favorites. But somehow the movie isn't very satisfying, perhaps it's the human actors which buffoon it up too much and make things less interesting. Recognizable Looney Tunes characters populated the many different locales visited throughout, making a nice tour. I was overjoyed to see that Yosemite Sam had his own casino in Las Vegas.
Jason S

July 11, 2007
I kind of liked it. The Daffy batman thing was really cool and there were a lot of inside jokes. A renter though.
Luke B

June 3, 2007
A few inspired moments, but doesn't really do justice to the Looney Tunes. Some caharcters just don't get what they deserve and the human cast are either bland or irritatingly OTT.
deano
deano

March 4, 2007
Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are hilarious by teaming up in live-action with Brendan Fraser and Jenna Elfman on their adventures.
kpn666
kpn666

July 3, 2006
Great - u cant go wrong with looney tunes!!! good 'human' cast - and funny as!
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Bryce I

May 17, 2011
Filled with clever visuals and childish humor. But lacks originality in both, as well as in it's improbable, and hyperactive mess of a plot. And what starts out as bad, only turns to worse as both Steve Martin, and Brendan Fraser's wacky humor make this nothing close to the classic cartoons.
John B

November 7, 2010
Unfortunately despite a good effort, I just can't give a Looney Tunes film a rating that would put it on the same scale as the magic of Disney...or something like that :)
Nick C.
Nick C.

July 24, 2010
The gags may not be as funny as the old cartoons, but they are still laughable, even though it is certainly not as breathtaking as Roger Rabbit, but I still found it enjoyable.