Looper

Looper

93%

I think I figured out the ending

Looper Paradox Examination and Alternate Timeline Theories
Kyle Johnston
Introduction & Synopsis
If you caught on to the many paradoxes in Looper, you might agree that it is frustrating to make sense of it all. I attempted to play out the potential paradoxes created by the ending and I feel that I‚??m rather close. Since Seth‚??s future self was the first time the alternate timeline was clearly represented, we‚??ll start there. In the end we learn that Seth and all the other Loopers were having their loops closed because of the, ‚??Rain Maker.‚?? When Joe shot himself and stopped future Joe from killing the mother, he created 2 timelines. We know that the future is just a potential outcome because the future representation of Joe said to himself that he is just one possible future, clarifying that there are alternate timelines. If what Joe from the future (Bruce Willis) said was factual, by shooting himself Joe (young Joe/joseph Gordon-Levitt) basically just created 2 alternate universes. If the ending were to elaborate on these universes/timelines, my theory is that it would prove 3 universes would co-exist, with the first/ *original universe being the setting of the entire movie:
Universe II- Cid Harrington Isn‚??t a Demon Child/ the New Universe
This is the ending we last see, where Joe kills himself and erases his future self from the timeline (which, by the way, should have been unnecessary because when Joe saw the puzzle play out in his head, Bruce should have seen it almost simultaneously assuming there isn‚??t a delay in sharing/merging memories). Now Cid is no longer the same would-be Damian Thorn demon child, that Bruce Willis prophesized; this is a future we haven‚??t seen any glimpses of. It‚??s completely uncertain to us, but from that moment and on, we do know that Joe Simmons will cease to exist in that universe, but not entirely. If he had erased his future entirely, Bruce Willis would have never existed and the youth Joe would have never followed his directions to the farm house to meet the mother and son, as well as to kill Bruce Willis and himself. This universe is heavily sustained by the *original universe deeply impacted by the Rainmaker, because without it, Joe would never try to kill the woman or himself.
Universe III- Joe‚??s Future
The kid grows up and he doesn‚??t hold a grudge against Loopers and he doesn‚??t begin to close all the loops. By not closing these loops this universe is created. Since old Seth isn‚??t sent to the past to be killed by himself (at least not the way or time it happened in the first universe), he doesn‚??t tell Seth about the Rainmaker; Joe never interacts closely with his future self (except to eventually kill his future self since it comes with the job) and never interacts with the kid. In universe 2, Cid probably has a respect for Loopers after Joe‚??s sacrifice, but in universe 3 this respect is probably neutral, yet this is probably irrelevant. Joe continues to suffer with his addiction to drugs and continues his career in crime, eventually meeting the Asian woman that Joe (Bruce Willis) falls in love with. This relationship continues on for a while, we don‚??t know how long, but it probably ends in his death when his contract is up and his loop is closed. Maybe he puts up a fight, maybe he lives. Maybe his wife dies of cancer, but she probably isn‚??t murdered.
*original- the movie is full of paradoxes and we can‚??t determine what the original universe was, the term is only used to describe the setting of the movie up until the point when Joe kills himself.
Kyle Johnston
11-30-2012 06:30 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Kuri Arsene

Kuri Arsene

Why didn't Old Joe tie Up young Joe and put him in some warehouse till he finished his mission when he overpowered him?

Feb 26 - 03:10 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Diego John Rottweiler

TL;DR

Feb 21 - 12:18 PM

Alanah Stephens

Alanah Stephens

The boy was JOE!

Feb 18 - 05:22 PM

Eric Steffe

Eric Steffe

No...he didn't bang his own mom and become his own dad as some people claim. He was just empathizing with Cid and it also adds a Red Herring element as well.

Feb 20 - 11:34 AM

Alex Hernicz

Alex Hernicz

Its the multiverse theory. For as many actions taken by every person, there is an equal number of potential universes on a timeline. Think of it as a ridiculously complex and near infinite branch, like a family tree. If you think about it that way, it begins to at least make sense in what was going on.
There was an animated show that used the same theory and laid it out visually that way, which made it make sense to me anyways. It may go over some people's heads, but it is only because they are used to thinking of time as being linear. In this movie, and with this theory, it almost isn't in many regards. If you try to force it to be, you're over thinking and you'll miss most of the movie.

Feb 16 - 08:37 AM

The D.

The Doctor

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

Feb 7 - 09:17 PM

Sandra Visser

Sandra Visser

This movie had a good idea, but wasted it. The whole bit with the kid with superpowers is so clichťd and the ending was just lame. What was the point?

Jan 15 - 12:28 AM

This comment has been removed.

Pamela Groening

Pamela Groening

I agree! I cannot BELIEVE that it got over 90 percent on rotten tomatoes. It was quite awful! It was unevenly paced, unclear about WHICH reality they were in (30 years in future, or present??) It was like a dog chasing its tail - and doesn't know what to do with it when it catches it.

Jan 12 - 08:45 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

both of you are fags

Jan 12 - 09:12 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Please stop using these threads as a way to advertise Blockbuster. It's fucking annoying.

Jan 14 - 03:33 PM

chuckroberts

Chuck Roberts

Some folks kill me - the ending was silly and made zero sense. Several elements of the movie didn't make any sense given the rules stated.
This movie could have been very good - ended up pretty bad. Worse b/c of the blown potential.

Jan 1 - 10:18 PM

John Brune

John Brune

He still would have wanted to kill the boy. The ending was perfect. It doesn't have to be spelled out. That's what's brilliant about it.

Dec 22 - 10:12 AM

Hayden Jones

Hayden Jones

wish in the ending young jo just shot his hand off so old jo couldnt shoot. and then just killed old jo and created his own new life with the girl and boy.

Dec 5 - 06:15 AM

Rachelle Mass

Rachelle Mass

I personally liked the ending. I think that if Present Joe could somehow deter Future Joe from killing Sara and Cid without erasing him, subsequently becoming the the ol' run-of-the-mill father figure for Cid and helping Sara to supervise Cid's TK abilities, I would have looked back on the entire film with disgust. 1) It would be too idealistic for my liking, and 2)the film would lose one of its major themes--sacrifice. In addition, Joe would be quite a static character. A prevailing aspect in the film was Joe's progression as a character. In the beginning, he does everything and anything to guarantee his survival and prosperity, even if it involves directly or indirectly killing or injuring friends and foes alike. (Consider what his profession is...) In the end, however, he throws all of that away for the survival and prosperity of Cid and Sara.

Dec 8 - 01:18 PM

Gabriel Hassan

Gabriel Hassan

Well said Rachelle! Young Joe also saw a bit of himself in the boy, since he had a troubled youth and instead of a mother figure got a gun instead. Maybe that's how he could more or less predict what would happen to the boy.

Feb 1 - 04:20 PM

Mark Emery

Mark Emery

Well said both. It would be interesting to see who's posting what and if they're parents or not.

Feb 5 - 04:21 PM

Kyle Johnston

Kyle Johnston

I typed this Word. Appearently quotation marks aren't supported here and nby copy and pasting, were susiquentially converted into, " ana??"

Nov 30 - 06:33 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile