Lootera

Time: 9.30 pm
With: Maa
On: HDTV
April 14, 2014
Absolutely Marvellous !! Scintillating !! Man O Man ! How did I miss this movie last year ! It's the only one Indian movie that I have ever seen that can compete with the finest of Hollywood Dramas !! Be it the canvas, background score, cinematography or the design or even for the way of telling the love story ! OMG !! The script itself is fantaboulous. Though it's inspired from the story The Last Leaf...which I read in my childhood !! Brilliant performance by the lead pair espicially by Sonakshi. She stands out !! Must Watch !! Even if it's for your second time watch !!
March 7, 2014
Its music is tonally inconsistent and too varied and the pacing is sometimes slow, but that music is also often very beautiful, the acting is great and the film is a pleasant mix of genres. But what makes Lootera stand out is its romance and especially ending which is incredibly poetic, romantic and, in a word, fascinating. It is one of the most romantic films ever put together.
March 3, 2014
Touching & well-acted.
February 16, 2014
Slow yet beautiful, Lootera is simply magic.
January 12, 2014
Great performance by Ranveer Singh and Sonakshi Sinha, one of the best films of the year
July 28, 2013
Great story that fails to be executed due to 3 main downfalls, the first of which is that the movie was released 50 years after its time. Motwane tried too hard to sell the idea of this story taking place in the 50's, so much so that it feels like we're watching a movie FROM the 50's. Secondly, Sonakshi Sinha is clearly the worst actress in the history of film. Watching her emotionless smirk for 2+ hours is beyond torture. With a better actress, this would have been a good one. The third, and perhaps biggest, downfall that hinders the execution of this fascinating story is the music. For this kind of experience, classic music is a must. The music of is downright awful, with not even a single memorable track. So while the artistic values of this movie are much appreciated, Lootera fails to live up to its immense hype.
July 10, 2013
Lootera is one such film that many are going to hate because you need tremendous patience to watch this slow beautiful old world style romance. Mahendra Shetty's breathtaking cinematography, Amit Trivedi's stunning music & background score & Vikramaditya Motwane's gripping screenplay & direction makes Lootera a poetic journey which is a rarity in Bollywood.
Career defining performances by Ranveer Singh & Sonakshi Sinha that you can feel that pain, anguish, love & other emotions of protagonists.
It's well said that it's the director who brings out the best from stars & convert them into actors.
One of the best romantic films I have ever seen & easily the best film of the year.
December 16, 2013
Give it a time you wont regret watching- Amit Trivedi's best score till date IMO- which he admitted to be inspired by Burmans.
December 11, 2013
Absolutely loved this film. Sonakshi Sinha and Ranveer Singh are both surberb and utterly believable and are strongly supported by the rest of the cast. Ok so the plot has a few holes, but then which film doesn't? The sound track sets the mood but is never obtrusive. I would happily play the sound track on it's own as the the music and lyrics are well written and very easy to listen too.
If you are into flashy fast paced action films then this is probably not the film for you, however if you like classic style gently moving stories that are acted rather than action led then you will enjoy this film
November 15, 2013
immensely beautiful!
November 7, 2013
starts of well, but loses the grip later. the movie becomes a dialogue between its two lead characters, and one needs to have a tight screenplay and some good writing to go with it to sustain viewer's interest.
July 13, 2013
"Lootera" is a lovingly crafted rarity, a big budget Bollywood offering that makes no compromises and sticks to conviction. Meticulous to detail, richly photographed and lavishly mounted this is a piece of work that not only is a feast to the eye but tugs at your heart strings and does it rather painfully. Varun (Ranveer Singh) and Palkhi's (Sonakshi Sinha) love story is touching, poignant and heart breaking and as good as it gets for any romantic. Sonakshi and Ranveer carry their roles extremely well, particularly Sonakshi as the mischievous and spoilt Palkhi who's world turns upside after she falls in love with the mysterious Varun. The two are ably supported by veteran Barun Chanda, Arif Zakaria and Divya Dutta along side a scene stealing turn by Vikrant Massey as Deb, Varun's associate.

The cinematography is sheer poetry with the 1950s sets painstakingly created to such authentic detail. The whole idea behind the film seems to have germinated from O Henry's short story "The Last Leaf" whose story however only takes up the last act. The film is a testament to how much Hindi Cinema has evolved over the last few years with the advent of a niche market known as the classes. Just as I was beginning to warm up to the idea of looking forward to more such gems I was rudely brought back to reality in the form of a three minute drivel - the trailer of "Chennai Express" - Hindi Cinema is not entirely out of the doldrums - atleast not yet as long as there still is an audience for the likes of "Shower Rock Can" and co. There is hope though in the form a new brigade of film makers such as Tigmanshu Dhulia, Sujoy Ghosh, Reema Kagti, Dibankar Banerjee and ofcourse Anurag Kashyap, in the meantime I am going to check out Vikramaditya Motwane's first venture "Udaan".
July 22, 2013
Lootera isn't one of those films which, upon reflection, you realize had complex consequences despite the simplistic plot. Instead, Lootera's slow pace further simplifies its plot. However, I enjoyed the cinematography and the societal depiction of the setting and time period. Overall, this film is just another example of a beautiful story executed well in some ways, where as poorly in others.
October 9, 2013
its subtlety is the most beautiful thing about this movie! in the times where over the top loud movies are earning the bucks....lootera entertains with wonderful songs, a good plot and mature acting! Motwane lives upto the standard he set with Udaan!
October 6, 2013
Best Indian film of 2013. I doubt anything can beat it. My faith in Ranveer Singh is restored and my respect for Sonakshi Sinha has gone from zero to, well, something. This film is a masterpiece. Vikramaditya Motwane and Anurag Kashyap are the perfect combination of art and heart. They, along with Bhavani Iyer, should be extremely proud of such a polished film.
familiar s

October 1, 2013
The Last Leaf has been monstrously degraded. Some complain about its abrupt ending (instead of the whole movie), but, while I did find it abrupt, I was rather glad that the suffering is over. I just kept looking forward to, and it just kept disappointing me. Being generous (as usual), I'd give it 0/5.
October 1, 2013
brave attempt by Vikramaditya Motwane in the era of Blockbuster cum illogical action movies.....meaningful and soothing
September 26, 2013
Rich Cinematography, stunning performance and a bittersweet story. This indeed is a nice change from cheap bollywood romances.
September 21, 2013