45% The Other Woman Apr 25

100% Veep: Season 3

Lord Love a Duck Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
This is a fun movie, I loved Roddy McDowall and Ruth Gordon together in the movie they were hilarious. This comedy is really zany and very funny. I really liked it.
Eric B

November 11, 2009
If you're one of those people who wanted to hug Ferris Bueller rather than throw him under the wheels of Mr. Frye's prize Ferrari, then you'll hold Roddy McDowell's smarmy, obnoxious character in "Lord Love a Duck" close to your heart. Hey, at least Matthew Broderick wasn't a 37-year-old trying to pass himself off as a high-school senior.

The above Flixster review is right to emphasize the cashmere-sweater scene, though...that is seriously twisted. But shame on the reviewer for daring to compare this film with the incomparable satire of "The Loved One."
Sean S

July 25, 2010
Dark and somewhat evil satire of the shallow "want" society of Southern California where appearance and desire are the be all end all of existence. Everything is attacked here: religion, school, psychiatry, age, the movie industry, love and "Wild Bikini" beach movement of the 60's.
Perhaps the funniest thing is that no matter how bad and shallow the writers and director thought things were at the time in this society 44 years later it is sooo much worse. Hmm, perhaps nobody watched this movie and got it's message.
wolverineland
August 21, 2011
Roddy McDowall is brilliant as Alan "Mollymauk" Musgrave in this dark comical spoof of the ridiculous Beach movies of the 1960's. McDowall plays brilliant high school senior Alan who also happens to be a few cards shy of a full deck. He becomes obsessed in a seemingly non-sexual platonic way with campus cutie Barbara Ann Greene played wonderfully by Tuesday Weld who wants nothing more than to be popular at her school and become a famous movie actress. Alan becomes sort of a genie to her making sure every wish and desire is granted for little more than companionship in return. Unfortunately for Barbara Ann fame has a price and anyone who may get in the way of that fame like her alcoholic cocktail waitress mother or her womanizing playboy boyfriend/husband then Alan has no problem ridding that path to fame of any obstacle, no matter the cost.
jam233
September 12, 2009
What an odd movie. I admire it's original approach, but I found Roddy McDowall irritating. His presence in the film prevented me from enjoying it as much as I would have if he wasn't in it. Ruth Gordon is terrific though.
August 8, 2013
Subtitle: An Act of Pure Agression
June 24, 2013
Almost surreal, and one really tripped out movie made before the hippie generation took over and made crass humor, this is a story about a boy geinus who hooks up with a hot chick pre graduation from high school and he makes it his life's work to help her out to get anything her heart desires. Full of innuendo and more running amuck than a Bugs Bunny cartoon, the story leads us down on a wacky path then switchs gears and comes to holt only to spin around for one big loop to start the crazy movie all over again. Amazing cast of Tuesday Weld and Roddy McDowall and Ruth Gordon as there funniest and most absurb. Very black and dark comedy, terrific companion piece to the English film Morgan! Not for all tastes but for those with wits and brains this is a gem!
Kristi W.
July 3, 2010
Why the two main characters in this movie are friends, I have no idea. I think maybe if this movie were made now instead of in the 60's the main girl who is supposed to be only worried about being popular would never ever hang out with someone who refers to himself as 'Mollymuck' and caws like a crow when he gets excited. I feel like that kind of teenage girl would, in reality, look down on that kind of guy and think he was a weirdo! Which he clearly is, given how the movie starts/ends. Apparently things were different in the 60's! Either way, it makes the movie just that much more interesting. There are definitely parts that are kind of ridiculous but the movie raised my spirits and made me laugh! Definitely no complaints about that. I had a good time with this one!
jazza923