20% The Identical Sep 05

June 23, 2011
Hated it, bored me!
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Bakshi's version of Lord of the Rings, which is of course animated, is good, I enjoyed it, sometimes there are fantasy elements that can only be brought to life in the animated form. The movie follows very close to the book, and the characters look just as I expected them to. I enjoyed this version.
Phil H

August 23, 2007
Now this is much better than the live action movies. Its done with rotoscoping and looks great. Very dark, brooding and alittle eerie, especially the orges and the landscapes. It really looks sooo good, the animation is also good for the time and combines some live action in there too which sounds odd but does work. The voice work is another main winner here, it makes the whole thing rise above your expectations and lift it out of the realms of a 'cartoon', every character is perfect and adds realism to the film, Hurt offering that real classic touch.

This is how the Lord of the Rings should have been.
EightThirty .

March 12, 2010
11/03/2010 (DVD)

A brave attempt but it didn't do it for me. It was probably legendary at its released date and I must say, there were some pretty interesting animation ideas that sort of surprised me knowing how pretty old this flick is.

Its funny when we say "No offense" just before we offend someone, well, "no offense" to those who gave more than 2 stars but it bored the crap out of me, but I'm glad it tickled your bum. (Remember "No offense")

It must be because I saw "Peter Jackson's" version, and as a result I find it hard to enjoy it and appreciate its true value. (Let's blame Peter!)

Anyway, check it out if you still desire.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

September 28, 2006
It's not the best adaptation of the story, but it does bear that unmistakable Bakshi mark of quality. I enjoy it mostly for that reason.
Conner R

January 6, 2010
An extremely bizarre and chaotic version of Lord Of The Rings. It would make absolutely no sense to someone who isn't familiar with the series and has some of the most odd interpretations of characters/settings. The only thing that I actually liked about this movie was the blend of animation next to live action, it is incredibly interesting to look at.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
I really liked it as a kid! What was the name of that little furry animal and who was it supposed to be again?
Dan S

July 2, 2007
Not bad, but not fantastic
Lafe F

June 22, 2007
The 1978 Ralph Bakshi animated version of "The Lord of the Rings" is a snooze-fest that ends up putting me to sleep almost every time.

The plotting is good for covering "The Fellowship of the Ring", but then it gets muddled as it delves into "The Two Towers" events. I got sooo confused with what was going on.

The rotoscoped animation offered realistic movement, but sketchy and inconsistent details. Sometimes the cels used backgrounds of colored lights to convey the magical effects in some scenes.

The Leonard Rosenman musical score was epic, dramatic and an up-beat military march.

It bothered the heck out of me they did not make another movie to finish the story! Instead, we got the cheapass made-for-TV "Return of the King" with its tacky songs and oafish animation.
garyX
garyX

February 19, 2007
Muddled and overly ambitious attempt to animate Tolkien's novel; it's penchant for "cheating" and just including sections of live action that's been rotoscoped looks a mess and the fact that it just abruptly ends in the middle of the story makes it feel like a bit of a waste of time, really.
nuheart
nuheart

December 27, 2006
It's not that I'm against LotR, I'm just not a big fan of Ralph Bakshi.
Sophie B

July 25, 2006
confusing stuff
Michael G

September 30, 2006
So bad it's good.
Lanning :

April 2, 2006
O-day ou-yay ink-thay I-way an-cay et-gay away-way om-fray eing-bay illed-kay y-bay anatic-fay ans-fay y-bay iving-gay one-way ar-stay o-tay is-thay ovie-may if-way I-way ite-wray in-way ig-Pay atin-Lay?
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

April 1, 2011
A strong hook and fair animation are met by a lack of engagement, weak editing, expendable scenes, some feeling of repetition, a cop-outastic ending and some bad dialogue. Well, at least the dialogue isn't "Two Towers" bad. Still, that's not to say that it's any where close to the live-actions in quality. Of course, I'm not here to compare, I'm here to say that Ralph Bakshi's adaptation of "Lord of the Rings" is a fair, but generally underwhelming film.
Yinalí R

May 19, 2007
Of course, all of these movies deserve a 5...
Sunil J

July 26, 2011
Hate this animation and this music
Shrewlord
Shrewlord

January 6, 2011
This much maligned version of Tolkien's classic story is actually very good. On the positive side it is appropriately dark (this is NOT a kids' story), it is well voiced, the genuine animation is excellent and the plot keeps pretty close to the book. On the negative side some of the animation is the inferior (and cheaper) rotoscoped live action, the sound track is a quite weak, it does not complete the story and, with no sequel, it never does. A shame because, at its best, it's excellent.
Marion R

May 5, 2007
this was really cool. Older animation of The lord Of the Rings. Used to watch when I was younger and it's still pretty cool.
alanjayh
alanjayh

June 30, 2008
competent filmmaking and faithful to the book..if you're into thie genre, you will eat it up