93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Lord of the Rings Reviews

November 25, 2009
Generally faithful to the books, but condensed to a fault; it's not that it cuts too much from the books, but that it tries to include everything. As a result, the pacing is sloppy and unfocused, rapidly checking off plot-point after plot-point in an effort to finish the story within an appropriate running time, and failing on both counts (it's too long and it randomly ends in the middle of The Two Towers). There is a well-realized atmosphere and strong sense of doom, but the animation is poorly done and downright ugly to look at. Good character moments for fans of the book, and a decent caricature or two, but too many of them for any to be developed in any way beyond that; major characters from the books are reduced to non-speaking background roles. And don't even get me started on that ungodly little troll that was supposed to pass for Samwise Gamgee... in other words, stick to the Jackson version, or better yet, the books. It isn't completely terrible, but it's far from good. With two undeniably superior versions of the story available, there's just no real reason to see this version.
EntertainMeOrDie
July 26, 2013
62%
I love the fact that they made this. It just humors me.
James Mitchell
July 3, 2013
Review coming soon....
June 23, 2013
Come to Middle Earth, a world beyond the furthest reaches of your imagination--This here is a great and glorious piece of art!!
geoff291
May 24, 2013
Saw this movie when it came out, was truly disappointed.
May 21, 2013
Big and epic and stuff, but my butt was flat after sitting so long.
July 15, 2011
Beautiful animation, great voice acting and following straight with the book. Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of The Rings is a beautifully dark and thrilling adaptation to the book. But, it must be said that with the Peter Jackson series it does not hold up today. It just simply cannot compare, but trying is a very unfair comparison. A great film for those who enjoy the classics.
May 13, 2013
Classic cartoon adaptation, less violence than the live actor movies.
April 30, 2013
Ralph Bakshi's adaptation of the first half of the Lord of the Rings trilogy is severelly limited by its low budget and short length which makes it pale next to Jacksons recent trilogy. However it is on its own a solid adaptation that in some areas is more faithful to Tolkeins work and other then Sam who is botched pays respect to most of the characters
April 18, 2013
I guess it wasn't that bad.
April 11, 2013
Way too long...and gandalfs beard could do with a trim lol
April 11, 2013
im sick of this story. and since when was orlando bloom in this 1???
April 8, 2013
do u even hav 2 ask, WOAH! too great
March 31, 2013
this alter-fantasy doesn't impress me any
January 7, 2008
Too bad Bakshi didn't make the conclusion to this himself. Rankin and Bass (who did the 1977 animated Hobbit, as well as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer) made Return of the King a couple years later. Bakshi's film was an admirable effort, but pretty dull in spots. Peter Jackson's live action films definitely drew some inspiration from this.
July 2, 2007
Some ok animation. I loved the children's book that was based on this particular movie. Unfortunately, this version of Lord of the Rings compressed the epic story too heavily.
March 7, 2013
Ralph Bakshi's version of the Lord of the Rings does not compare to Peter Jackson's trilogy of Lord of the Rings. The film has its dark atmosphere and visuals, however a lot of the characters are really annoying such as Samwise Gamgee and only focuses on the first two books the Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers. The film would have been a lot better if the story was completed rather than ending at the conclusion of Helm's Deep leaving it ambiguous to anyone who is not familiar with the original novels as to whether or not the mission of Frodo Baggins is completed and the ring destroyed.
February 17, 2013
I can't hate this- it introduced me to the Lord of the Rings. I loved it as a kid.
Bendu O.
February 17, 2013
It only caught my attention because I knew the story and was interested to see what would happen. What I got was an unpleasant, half-put together wad of untapped potential. Though it did capture some elements of the book even better than Jackson's acclaimed trilogy, in the end, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who has not yet been introduced to Tolkein.
Kevin Rimney
February 12, 2013
This was a pretty good mucky and dark 70's Bakshi attempt at bringing the novels to life. Limited by time and budgets I think he opted for the rotoscoping and it allowed him to get things done quicker and cheaper.

This film does not match up to the Rankin/Bass Hobbit film a year earlier in terms of uniformity and fluid animation or character voices. So what does it have? It has the story, it has certain artistic moments, it has the audacity to try but since Jackson's LotR's trilogy this sort of falls by the wayside as curiosity.