The Lord of the Rings Reviews

½ March 25, 2014
It got about half of the characters totally right, but the other half ranged from "not quite" to "dear God in Heaven". Plus, the animation looks stunning in some settings, and yet hideous in others. Just overall, this movie is about 50% on everything.
½ March 17, 2014
I have the greatest possible loathing for live-action animation or offshoots of it but this film in all fairness is a really cool representation of The Lord of the Rings franchise. They stay really close to the books and it is very fun to see how much stuff Peter Jackson ported over into his version of LOTR.

Aragorn is played by John Hurt.

Anthony Daniels (C3PO from Star Wars) voices Legolas.

I also want to give a special shoutout to the dude who voices Gollum. He does a superb job.
½ March 13, 2014
Hated it, but to be fair I saw it after seeing the Peter Jackson Trilogy! Perhaps if I had seen it when it came out back in 1978, I might have been impressed by the now dated animation and special effects, and been on the edge of my seat, instead of bored out of my mind struggling to stay awake.
March 29, 2012
Nada muy bueno, nada horrible. El intento de adaptar los libros a una peli de 2 horas es admirable, aunque siento que pasa demasiado rápido. Como que te quieren introducir muchas cosas de golpe sin tomarse el tiempo de desarrollar. Pero se nota que Jackson se inspiró mucho en esta para la Trilogía.
December 27, 2013
1933's King Kong Is My Ninth Favorite Film Of All Time.
December 22, 2013
Some strong things and some weak things.
December 9, 2013
Awful piece of work. Inconsistent and difficult to sit through
Jed
December 12, 2013
It's impressively animated and decently performed, but in the end, Ralph Bakshi's extremely sloppy take on the classic tale is far too messy, rushed, and illiterate to care much for.
½ December 7, 2013
(Upcoming Review) Rating: 7.9/10 Overview: I must say, Ralph Bakshi perfected the use of rotoscoping, but.... suffers to extremely floaty animation and totally eliminates the "squash and stretch" animation principal. I'm guessing that he wanted it to look as realistic as possible, and it does come in useful for quick battle scenes. Great Voice acting, interesting music, and a pretty good job putting two books into one movie and still be immersible. First version of the Lord of the Rings I've ever seen. It's slightly better than Rankin/Bass's Return of the King.
½ December 7, 2013
I LOVED this movie and it got me into the books.
the rotoscope treatment gives it a very "epic" feel and the wraiths are properly creepy.. OK, so it doesn't cover everything, but a great interpretation! :)
November 17, 2012
When Peter Jackson was told to make the LOTR in two films, shouldn't they know they already did that two decades before?
Still a really ambitious project cramming huge books into an animated feature.
Sure the screenplay skimp over a lot of details but with what they got left they did alright and never rush it in terms of pace.
What really weighs this down, yet makes it more memorable, is the overacting in a lot of bits. The animation is a real hit and miss.
Try to ignore that closing statement in the end and you would have had this be a two for one deal.
½ November 25, 2013
Not EXACTLY like the Peter Jackson series, but perfect for any newbie Ringer to watch! "The Return of the King" is not in this version, though. Just a warning.
October 21, 2013
it's really good animation film
November 25, 2009
Generally faithful to the books, but condensed to a fault; it's not that it cuts too much from the books, but that it tries to include everything. As a result, the pacing is sloppy and unfocused, rapidly checking off plot-point after plot-point in an effort to finish the story within an appropriate running time, and failing on both counts (it's too long and it randomly ends in the middle of The Two Towers). There is a well-realized atmosphere and strong sense of doom, but the animation is poorly done and downright ugly to look at. Good character moments for fans of the book, and a decent caricature or two, but too many of them for any to be developed in any way beyond that; major characters from the books are reduced to non-speaking background roles. And don't even get me started on that ungodly little troll that was supposed to pass for Samwise Gamgee... in other words, stick to the Jackson version, or better yet, the books. It isn't completely terrible, but it's far from good. With two undeniably superior versions of the story available, there's just no real reason to see this version.
July 26, 2013
62%
I love the fact that they made this. It just humors me.
July 3, 2013
Review coming soon....
½ June 23, 2013
Come to Middle Earth, a world beyond the furthest reaches of your imagination--This here is a great and glorious piece of art!!
½ May 24, 2013
Saw this movie when it came out, was truly disappointed.
½ May 21, 2013
Big and epic and stuff, but my butt was flat after sitting so long.