Lords of Dogtown Reviews

Cade H ½ November 28, 2007
The Lords of Dogtown was a great movie not only because of the fantastic true story told, but also because of the great acting by its top billed stars. Heath Ledger, Emile Hirsch and company were outstanding and really brought a lot of emotion and excitement that was needed for the parts. If you don't know the story already, this is a great way to learn about how skateboarding really took off and became the sport it is today. The plot is pretty straight forward and stays fairly true to the real story. There are some ups and down like any movie but overall this iconic skateboarding film sticks out from the rest and really tells a good story that shouldn't be missed.
Steve C ½ September 24, 2014
Now I miss the days of Tony Hawk video games. A good film, about the essential birth of modern skate boarding.
Alex A Alex A ½ September 23, 2014
Lords of Dogtown recounts the coming-of-age story of some of competitive Skateboarding's pioneers. While it's colorfully lit by it's cinematography, well acted (especially Heath Ledger) and boasting entertaining skate sequences, I ultimately felt underwhelmed by how the story was executed since at times I felt like I was only watching people skate while gaining little from their characters, and some story arcs felt rushed and underdeveloped. Nonetheless, even if you can't directly relate to the characters, they have depth nonetheless and the smooth pacing in Lords of Dogtown makes for an entertaining watch.
Oliver M September 13, 2014
I cant believe I have missed this skateboarding movie! If you loved to skateboard as I did in young age during 70s, 80s and even a bit of the 90s YOU WILL LOVE THIS MOVIE! The true skateboarding story about skateboarding legends as Stacy Peralta, Tony Alva, Jay Adams =).....
John C September 10, 2014
Impeccable visuals with an untimely sense of gri, "Lords of Dogtown" utilizes its video game-like screenplay to relate to modern audiences and never forgets its source material.
Sean W ½ July 24, 2014
Engaging story, expert acting (especially Ledger and Hirsch), cool visuals, and a fitting soundtrack trap you in this wonderful little story.
David G ½ July 28, 2012
This was the first movie I ever saw for free on an employee discount working at a movie theater as a teenager back in 2005. I really liked it back then, because I didn't know much about the Z-Boys/Zephyr skateboard team and I never had much interest in skateboarding.

Watching it again years later I still enjoyed it, but I am a little put off by how much the actual story is change. Like most movies based off actual events this movies is very hollywoodized and takes a lot of liberties.

The performances in the movie are great. A young Emile Hirsch as Jay Adams is pretty good even if his lil'cholo gangsta accent is kind of cringe-worthy. Heath Ledger as Skip Engblom though completely steals the movie. It was his performance in this movie that made me not mind at all that he was going to play the joker in The Dark Knight and of course Dark Knight became one of the best movies of the last thirty years.
Mark S February 26, 2009
Why are the top critics so terrible on this website?
Brenda J. Brenda J. June 1, 2014
Cool movie. You should watch it.
Baptiste D. Baptiste D. April 3, 2014
Lords of Dogtown was directed by Catherine Hardwicke in 2004. This film is not blockbuster movie because the actors are not know. It's a great drama and adventure about the life. In this movie we can see Emile Hirsch, Nikki Reed, Micheal Angarano and Johnny Knoxville. The film takes place at Venice in California. The story is based on the lives of several teenagers who spend their days to surfing. When summer comes Z-Boys decide it to go skate in empty pools to remplace the surf. They create a team of skateboarders and shortly time after they became famous. Problems of money broke their friendly relations and the team disappeared. I love so much this movie because it is a masterpiece cinematographic and I have chills every time I see it.
I really enjoyed it because of the acting is beautiful and I would have liked so much to live in this period.
I recommend much to see this film because is a classical in street culture and it is very nice to see the lives of young skateboarders and surfers.
itsjustmenow itsjustmenow April 13, 2014
will be nice to see Heath Ledger again. I remember liking this movie, but only because it reflects my childhood and way that things looked when I was growing up
Luca D ½ March 19, 2014
Ma a che serve? Personaggi inutili e storia piatta.
stefano l ½ February 9, 2014
It's that kind of story that I usually like, but the movie was not so good in the end.
Alex A ½ February 1, 2014
Lords of Dogtown should've been the equivalent of what those kids did back in the 70's but it isn't. Heath Ledger stands out the most, of course.
Anshuman M December 27, 2013
This movie has so much going for it.Other than the pitch perfect performances from the lead actors it has Heath Ledger's third most memorable performance.Shea Whigham,Jeremy Renner and Sofia Vergara star in delightful cameos.Due to its direction its the perfect summer movie.The film's ending is handled with a lot of care and warmth after the total carnage of the first two acts.
James Sidis James Sidis June 2, 2013
The stroyline might not be as solid, but the actors are superb.
Tessa R August 10, 2013
why did i just now see this?!! it was pretty great
Tessa Rivera Tessa Rivera August 10, 2013
why did i just now see this?!! it was pretty great
Mélissa A August 6, 2013
Après l'avoir ecouter, j'ai branche mon 64 et jai joue a Tony Hawk ! :P
Scott W July 19, 2013
I've never been a fan of skateboarding or the skateboarding culture but this was a highly energetic and fascinating movie. GREAT soundtrack too!