The Lost Boys Reviews

July 31, 2013
Campy fun with some chilling twists and turns. I saw Kiefer Sutherland and Jason Patric in "That Championship Season" on Broadway a couple years ago, and it's wild to see them in their first roles - all long-maned and frisky. Young Dianne Wiest is so fragilely beautiful, and young, gypsy-flavored Jami Gertz (of Seinfeld's "I don't have a square to spare" fame) looks like Shakira! Coreys Haim and Feldman are surfer-dude lame but nevertheless hilarious.
½ June 13, 2006
If you planned to send proof into space that the 1980s existed, this would be a perfect sample. The clothes, the soundtrack, the characters, storytelling and movie-making, it all reeks of the era and all its aspects. That means the movie may not have aged very well, but at its time it was a hell of a fun ride. Most importantly, it was made in a time when adolescent vampires were not cringe-worthy yet. Instead this is a both funny and gory vampire hunt that works on every level. The final punchline is particularly awesome. A cheesy experience but still great fun.
January 28, 2012
A scary and remarkable movie, that is not have the cliche of the stereotype of teens films and call the attention of audience from others ages. Fresh.
Directors Cat
½ October 30, 2011
Much better then I was expecting. Good mix of horror and humour. The Lost Boys is worth watching more than once and is one of the few teen horrors that are worth your time. An 80's classic and much better than Jennifer's Body, a similar film in the horror comedy genre.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 9, 2010
The Lost Boys is an awesome, thrilling, funny and scary vampire film. This film is responsible for my interest in horror, my love of the genre and my love of vampire films. I first seen this film when I was 8 years old, and I loved it right from the start. Then I was hooked on horror films. The Lost Boys is Kiefer Sutherland's best film; he's awesome as David, the leader of the boys. I won't reveal who is the head vampire, don't want to spoil anything for you. This film features eccentric characters (Grandpa, The Frog Brothers) and is a very cool film, of all the vampire films that I've seen, and I've seen many since my first viewing of this treasure, this film is one of the best films of the vampire genre and along with Fright Night and Near Dark is one of the most memorable vampire films of the 80's. It's hip, it's cool and it's a fun film to watch on Halloween. Not to mention it's Joel Schumacher's greatest achievement as a director, he made a fairly decent Batman film (Batman Forever) and butchered the series with another (Batman and Robin) and directed another good thriller, Phone Booth. But The Lost Boys will always remain his greatest yet, he isn't exactly Spielberg. But enjoy The Lost Boys for what it is, a solid vampire film and mandatory Halloween viewing. This is one of the best horror films of the 1980's. If you love vampire films, check out The Lost Boys.
theunknownhobo
½ July 17, 2011
An absolute classic, Lost Boys is always close to the DVD player. I love Keifer Sutherland in this movie too. This movie is the reason vampires are cool and I don't think Twilight fans should forget just how badass vampires actually are!
May 29, 2011
Picture this: It is the late 1980s. The MTV generation is at an all-time high and the one thing that is on every teenager's mind is Teen Idols. Now, mix in director Joel Schumacher who has not really had any critical accomplishments under his belt and in need of an instant success. With all of that, add in a screwed up tale of J.M. Berry's Peter Pan with Vampires and what you get is the definitive teen/ horror film of the late 80's. Now, with vampires being a hot topic, there might be some people this day and age who might be against this film. But, when watched, this film is a lot better than one would think. In terms of direction, Schumacher actually acts like a director in terms of telling the story, keeping the passing up, and making sure that the film is, overall, great. Now, the only problem I have (as a lot of people also have) is that the first two thirds of the film work great. Then, at the end, it becomes a complete battle brawl with no thought. What happened to all of that great story telling that there originally was? So, for the most part, direction is good but could have been better. Next is the script. Before this came out, all vampires were either cold blooded and evil or emotional and hating their existence. These are vampires that LOVE to be vampires. They have accepted what they are and try to have fun with it, and the script makes them have fun. After watching this film, it makes one actually want to be a real vampire. One other little aspect is that these vampires go by original mythology of the creatures plus add a little something for the head vampire. Something that actually works towards the favor. Now for the acting. With this film having all of the stars it did have, there are no bad performances here. Only one let down and that was from Dianne Wiest. But, that is not that big of a lost due to the performances from Corey Haim, Corey Fieldman, and Kiefer Sutherland. Finally, we have the score. While it mostly takes from the song 'Cry Little Sister', it does create a rather dark, forbidding atmosphere that works and helps create the horror element that this film is great for having. Overall, as a teen film, it represents the last great Vampire film before the word 'vampire' was destroyed.
LWOODS04
April 26, 2009
I love love love this movie.. I don't know anyone who isn't a fan of this movie..
September 6, 2010
This was the perfect vampire movie for the 80s, it has a bunch of great stars, like the two Corey's, some lighthearted comedy thrown in, and a bunch of real scary vampires! I love this movie, and any real vampire fan will love it too.
½ April 4, 2010
With the cute Haim, the tenacious Feldman, the lost Patric, and the creepy/crawly Sutherland, this is an 80's dream of rebellion that verges on adulthood, and all the terror that comes with it. Following around vampires, pre-Twilight, makes for an interesting film, but when you try to make it scary and it comes out corny, you know you've made a wrong turn somewhere along the way.
January 21, 2007
Oh, it's shitty, but inexplicably impossible to hate. Maybe I'm not as inoculated from the 80s as I thought I was. It's difficult to spite a movie for such unrestrained joie de vivre, even if the action is ropey, the ending lame and the characters grating. I dunno, what is there to say of much substance about the fucking Lost Boys? It's a total product of the zeitgeist, sure, but it's at least more imaginative than all the fucking superhero movies we get now. Given the choice between the two, I'd much rather sit through campy crap than reboot after reboot.
½ March 4, 2006
If you disagree with the 1 1/2 stars then you have not seen this Joel Schumacher feast recently. I am very angry at my younger self for loving this.
½ July 18, 2007
there's not much here to curdle the blood but a thinly disguised tale of teenage angst and "fitting in with the gang" ... only "the gang" happens to live forever ... "only you must FEED!" what's a mom to do when her fav teen is staying out later and later and not talking about where he's been? and what about those hooligans he's hanging with?!? comic relief is supplied by our misunderstood teen's younger brother's clumsy, right wing, tea partying buddies. that, a cool soundtrack, lots of classy overhead shots and of course, jami gertz, keep things interesting.
cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
I'll be damned to let the fact that this movie is fairly dated keep me from enjoying it and saying that it is a really fun and thrilling vampire flick, Seriosuly though, this is really slick, stylish, and cool. This was back when vampires were badass and dangerous, yet could fit in with a crowd.

The performances are awesome. Kiefer Sutherland makes an awesome vampire, Feldman and Newlander are awesome as the hilarious and cool Frog Brothers, and Barnard Hughes is a definite scene stealer. Haim is good, but he's not the best. Patric isn't too bad, either. Wiest is a little blah, but she's not terrible. Herrmann is cool.

The action and scares are sweet and well done, and I like the film's pace. This is back when Joel Schumacher wasn't looked at as a pariah. It's too bad he couldn't stay that way.
July 28, 2010
i thought it was boring. C
June 19, 2010
Quirky little vamp flick this one, great cast from way back including the 'where are you now?' Alex Winter of 'Bill n Ted' fame and the erratic Haim (RIP), but it does hold its own for some reason despite tacky/basic effects and a very unexciting ending.

The whole thing is very average really, acting, effects and plot are all ok but the look and feel is good (although its mostly sets), you can tell its a Schumacher film alright hehe
Lots of young fit men, half naked guys with big muscles, some neon, an early Batcave and allot of cheese :)

Vamps look good and Sutherland is a good vamp but the ending was always too easy for me, the vamps are all killed way to easy and with not much of a fight plus it has a weird flat ending leaving you wanting to know more....maybe that's good, great title for a film though.
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
Goes down as a classic 80s movie :)
dietmountaindew
December 10, 2007
"the lost boys" is joel schumacher's 80s occult classic before he steps into the rehash of "batman forever" which demystifies the batman legend (previously composed by tim burton) with his overdosed commercial gayety.

the flick begins with the backset tone of "people are strange" which is a classic the doors song, and this bizarrely ethreal tune anchors the idiocyncratic atmosphere of "the lost boys"...jason patric plays the loner kid michael who gets entrapped into the snare of vampires when his family moves to santa carla in california. it barrows the scenario of james dean's "rebel without a cause" that a bunch of mistrayed young motorcyclists indulge in the thrilling abandon of violence and adventures while our rebel protagonist is longing for the girlfriend of gang lead, trying to snatch her attention away by passing the daring ordeals proposed by the gang as a lost boy in search of peer identification. a disorientated ground for kids with hippie parents as one character's name is star.

the story background fits well with the theme of "people are strange" and peculiarly the vampire shell does have a portrait of jim morrison as their spiritual guidance. a group of lost boys dive into the recognition of stylistic dissonance on their metal outfits, spiky hairdos and leather jackets. (my compliment belongs to kiefer sutherland whose hairdo is the coolest. and jason patric somehow resembles jim morrison with his shaggy hair.)

"the lost boys" is well foreshadowed with the pastiche of an adolescent delinquency and hard-core vampirish goth, but it goes campy when the story starts to get involved with the frog vampire-slaughtering brothers in the comics store. then it flops into a brass celebration of nerds and geeks, especially the scene of "death by the stereo" is particularly juvenile and corny.

the 80s was the dacade when jason patric and kiefer sutherland still possess some potentiality of supernova with their boyish looks and edgy spunk. unfortunately director schumacher chooses style over substance, so "the lost boys" ends up being a excellently shot two-hour music video with the epitome of 80s pop culture. but somehow it's worthy of praises for its campy value. and the song "people are strange" divulges as the sour implication of vampires with a sardonic kind of black humor.
MeetMeinMontauk
May 24, 2009
Roommates made me watch it. Um. Wow. Whatever, practically a period piece from the late 80s.
arashxak
August 5, 2008
"Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire"

Really corny sometimes and never reaches its full potential and Haim & Gertz are quite annoying but overall the film is fun to watch