Lost in Space Reviews

April 24, 2012
Hey you remember Matt LeBlanc? he was in Friends for virtually the entire of the 90's and just like Jennifer Aniston he simply can't shake his character, yes...him.

So this is an adaptation of the rather lame US TV series of the same name which always kinda seemed like a rip off of Star Trek with kids. Being your typical 90's action flick the film is chock full of terrible CGI, from a really nasty looking space alien monkey thing to lots of shockingly bad looking light and space effects.
There is a combination of model work which in places does look reasonable but alas most other areas of the film such as the sets are really poor and plastic-ish in appearance, whilst costumes are merely dull grey and unoriginal.

The plot is a complete jumbled jigsaw of a mess involving the age old notion of time travel, unfortunately you really have to have a tight plot to pull this off annnnd this doesn't. You don't care about any of the characters down to stale acting, Lacey Chabert looks as if she's been swimming the whole time yet is oddly quite sexy with her squeaky voice. She was 16 at the time I believe, should I be locked up?! Even Hurt can't inject quality into this pantomime, Oldman fares somewhat better but there really isn't anything he could of done.

The original series was camp family space age fun so of course the film was never gonna be serious sci-fi but clearly they wanted it to be semi serious. This was the problem because the whole thing is basically a cartoon or as I like to think of it...Schumacher's 'Batman and Robin' in space...with Matt LeBlanc who was clearly added to capitalize on his brief moment in the limelight. Just another attempted fast food franchise rolled off the Hollywood factory line, badly conceived, poorly made and vanished into movie obscurity.
½ December 31, 2011
Lost in Space is a fairly decent film. I first saw it when it was originally released, and I expected to hate it. However, I was surprised. The cast are good here, and they are good to watch on-screen. Though the film is not perfect, Lost in Space is a decent, entertaining film that will appeal to anyone looking for a good Sci Fi yarn. This film will most likely appeal to fans of the TV series, instead of straight forward Sci-Fi film fans. I didn't hate this film, but it was almost a dud for me. There's entertaining bits here and there, but by the time the credits roll, you realize that there's something missing to really make this film truly good. Director Stephen Hopkins crafts a decent film for sure, but this is an imperfect film that could have been much better. The film has script limitations and it's evident that the film has a strained feel right from the get go. The film manages to be entertaining, but it's not quite perfect. I liked the film for what it was, but it could be so much better than this. If you enjoy Sci Fi films then this is a must see, however it has plenty of imperfections, and like I said so many times before; this film could have been better. But for the most part, this is an entertaining film that anyone might like if you're in the right mood. Lost in Space is enjoyable and manages to be a fun, entertaining two hours despite all its flaws. Like I stated, this film will probably appeal more to fans of the show, I never seen the show, but I thought it was pretty decent for what it was. The film isn't as bad as people have claimed it would be; I have seen far worst than this.
September 6, 2010
This is, of course, the film adaptation of the TV series from the 60s. Most adaptations from TV in this decade have failed to meet our expectations, but I think this is one of the better ones. It's exciting, entertaining, and it has a bunch of good actors.
April 23, 2008
Lotsa money and big name talent, and so what could go wrong? How about trying to be too many things to too many people? The elements are there, particularly the element that wishes to speak to the fans of the old tv series, but eventually it all disintegrates into a jumble of all too much.
June 27, 2011
Why? Again, I don't know! Maybe because I liked the TV series, or maybe because I loved the main theme. Maybe is just that Heather Graham look soooo pretty, even after breaking with me (yeah right!) OK. No wait...is because I love Gary Oldman acting everywhere...well I honestly don't know. But it's here!
michael e.
½ May 3, 2011
I HATE THAT DAMN MONKEY ALIEN BLAARP, plus the effects are good at some parts, but at most of the time its just bad. I liked some of the things in it like the robot, and the spider creatures. but overall a bland and boring film
½ November 25, 2010
Really, it's not that bad at all. I might be biased since I watched it a lot when I was 9, but I still think it's mostly a cool movie. Sure the special effects of Larp were terrible, but some of them were pretty good circa 1998. Major Don West and his Bubble Fighter/steel armor are really the shining moments, but a lot of the stuff with time travel and Robot were interesting. Where it fails is having Will Robinson as a completely annoying kid and Penny-vision.
½ September 19, 2010
I remember my biological but otherwise not-so-mom telling me I used to like watching the show "Lost In Space" as a child, but I didn't remember it. In the 90's as a teen, I watched it some on Sci-Fi channel and it was all right. All I really remember about this movie is that it had great special f/x, but otherwise unmemorable.
November 3, 2007
Well Gary Oldman is good in this movie but that is the only good thing about this movie otherwise its probably the most pointless and rubbish storyline there is.
Gary oldman was funny and convincing as the scardy cat but also bady and he was funny, the rest were badly acted and the effects were pretty poor as well!
There was no real point to the movie apart from a man getting his family back! Not a great movie to watch not worth the effect really!!
½ April 22, 2007
Absolutely horrible flick.
June 11, 2009
i didnt know Lacey Chabert was old enough to have had her boobs in 1998.
November 10, 2007
Movie version of the cheesy 60s TV series. Nothing special.
½ October 23, 2007
Gary oldman is the only reason to see it, and it certainly isn't his finest hour.
½ June 24, 2007
Lost in Space has slick computer-generated effects. They're simply incredible, from the opening dogfight, to the daring escape through the planet's core. I love the techno version of the Lost in Space theme by Apollo 4-40, which is unfortunately not played until the end credits.

The characters are pretty good. All the Robinson kids are really cute and charming. The parents, played by William Hurt and Mimi Rogers, are Gary Oldman plays a Dr. Smith, who sabotages the Robinson's mission. I like the Robot re-design with the classic voice.

After being lost in space, the family find some really creepy space spiders on board another ship, then end up on some strange planet, where it always seems to be night-time. Penny Robinson (Lacey Chabert) picks up a strange CGI creature "Blarp" as a new pet. Matt Leblanc plays Major West; he has a crush for the older sister Judy Robinson (Heather Graham) - similar witty chemistry which Han Solo and Princess Leia shared.

But the writers added some strange time travel plot, where they go through a bubble and get a glimpse of their future fates if they don't get off the planet. It's an ugly future, and too much of the movie is devoted to it. Things get bogged down on the planet and we don't get to see strange new places, making it unpleasant and boring.
May 11, 2007
A disappointment. I won't give it away, but one particular casting decision essentially ruined what seemed to be a semi-promising film for me.
February 27, 2007
Fine sci-fi based on the 1960s TV series. Not a great deal of charm, nor does it visually bear much resemblance to it's source, but almost gets by on some nifty production design and a very few cool special effects.
½ January 22, 2007
A pretty generic sci-fi adventure.
December 30, 2006
I expected this to be worse than it is. But it's still crap.
½ December 28, 2006
Very different from the tv show but still really good. Gary Oldman was pretty spot on.
½ December 26, 2006
While I will admit that this movie has its flaws -- and there are oh-so-many of them -- I kinda like it. And it's not as if the TV show it's based on was the Citizen Kane of Sci-Fi. This could be one instance where having a hack writer actually worked to a film's advantage. (And I'm giving it an extra 1/2 star for Gary Oldman's interpretation of Dr. Smith.)