• PG, 1 hr. 49 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Lost in Yonkers Reviews

Lucas M

March 17, 2012
Lost in Yonkers is a terrific exemple of a dramatic Neil Simon.
Apeneck F

September 16, 2011
Two young boys spend a coming-of-age season in the home of their paternal grandma; that's what Neil Simon's story pretends to be about, but only blink and beneath that is a reworking of nothing less than "Now Voyager" and its redemptive telling of a child blossoming from under the restrictive wings of an unloving parent. Pretty engaging stuff, with Mercedes Ruehl doing a phenomenal job in Bette Davis' sizeable shadow.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 20, 2009
This film is one of my guilty pleasures. I love it but I'm not sure I want the rest of the world to know that. I've seen this picture several times and I never tire of the performances. Dreyfuss is exceptional, Mercedes Ruehl is WONDERFUL, but its the younger actors, Brad Stoll and Mike Damus, that steal the show. It might not be great cinema but it sure is fun to watch.
Dannielle A

January 10, 2008
The play version is better, but Neil Simon did a good job making this screenplay and the casting was great. The actors are excellent in this flick.
iLeo
iLeo

January 31, 2008
Fantastic!
BettyWhaCknUt
November 12, 2008
Every family has their trials and tribulations, but this family has a whole other "ballpark" to figure out. With some twist and comedic turns, this film will have you cringing from one moment to laughing at the next.
gumnerf
January 28, 2007
Not as many laughs as one might expect from Neil Simon, but an interesting slice of a disfunctional family seen through a kid's eyes as one might expect and still well done.
timonthemeerkat
June 21, 2006
I have to say it, I really did like this movie. It was fun, but I'm not really sure if you could call it a great family film.
September 2, 2013
Funny, and at turns poignantly sad period drama-dy about 2 boys who spend a summer with their tough as nails grandmother and her eccentric children. Mercedes Ruehl's portrayal of the childlike Aunt Bella is a heartbreaker. Her finest performance, imo.
June 9, 2013
AWESOME MOVIE!!! Definitely deserves close to 100% in my book!
Lucas M

March 17, 2012
Lost in Yonkers is a terrific exemple of a dramatic Neil Simon.
Zeppo1
October 9, 2009
*** (out of four)

It is the summer of 1942 as we follow the offbeat family in Yonkers as they struggle with love and money. Irene Worth is especially wonderful in this film based on Niel Simon's Pulitzer Prize winning play.
hollywoodsnoopy
September 10, 2006
[size=4][color=darkorchid]Tonight I was watching "Lost in Yonkers." Now I have seen it two other times before and it made me wonder why it was not part of my video library. I think too often certain movies and actors do not get the just credit that they deserve.[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#9932cc][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#9932cc]If you don't know the story I will try to sum it up as briefly as possible. Two boys, Jay and Artie lose their mother. Their father, Eddie had borrowed some money from a loan shark to pay for her medical bills and funeral. It was at war time, so he needed to make 9,000 dollars in a years time. In order to do so he had to go around the country sellin' scrap metal, but couldn't take the boys with. They convince Eddie's mother, who is pure evil, to let the boys stay with her. It is a funny yet touching story about the time they spend with their wicked old witch grandma and the cast of colorful relatives that pop in and out of the film.[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#9932cc][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#9932cc]The person that I feel deserves the biggest kudos is Mercedes Ruehl, who played Aunt Bella. She is sweet, but not all there. She gets confused, but you just love her. She also is taken advantage of my her mother and is tired of it. She is luminous in this role and had me in tears several times. I just think that acting is something you get or don't get and Mercedes gets it. She makes you love her by her kindness and generosity and her "moxy" to stand up to her tyrant of a mother who seems to only care about herself.[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#9932cc][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#9932cc]The actors that play Jay and Artie are great too. They have to do there best to stay out of grandma's hair and want to help their dad make some money too. I just like the movie overall. If you haven't see it I suggest you rent it. I am now gonna buy it. Watching it again made me realize just how much I enjoyed this movie.[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#9932cc]Thanks for your time in reading,[/color][/size]