18% Transcendence Apr 18

A Lot Like Love Reviews

murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
It was enjoyable to watch and it wasn't just your typical Hollywood rom-com and it's worth your time. A must see!
Dean !

January 7, 2007
A decent little romantic film, although labeled a Rom-com most of the time it feels more of a drama with a lot of light hearted moments than truly laugh out loud scenes. It did remind me of Serendipity quite a bit, would have to admit that is by far the better film. One of the best of the genre in my opinion.
Still this has a good cast and it was an enjoyable to watch, without being the typical hollywood Rom-com most of the time. Definitely worth checking out.
Nani V

April 1, 2009
It's about a boy and a girl who meet on a flight from LA to NY. Ashton plays Oliver a goal oriented guy who thinks he'll have everything he wants in the next 6 years if he works hard for it and Amanda Peet plays Emily, the girl who is supposed to call him after 6 years to find out if everything he aimed for really happened. Throughout the next 6 years or so they meet up here and there in different stages of their lives.

I LOVE this movie, maybe because I can relate to it in a way. It's about always the wrong timing with a certain someone in your life and finding a way to make it work. I enjoyed how they started off with the past, the years in between, and into the present. I'm usually not a fan of Ashton Kutcher movies, but he did well in here and wasn't annoying. The characters also had great chemistry, which really made it work.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

February 6, 2009
"There's nothing better than a great romance... to ruin a perfectly good friendship."

On a flight from Los Angeles to New York, Oliver and Emily make a connection, only to decide that they are poorly suited to be together. Over the next seven years, however, they are reunited time and time again, they go from being acquaintances to close friends to ... lovers?

REVIEW
This was a pretty average romance comedy. I went to see it mostly because of Amanda Peet, and she looked good as usual. They do a decent job trying to avoid some of the cheesy elements usually found in the genre, but the basics remain. Some of the things that happened in the movie were pretty unrealistic. The movie attempts to explore the subject of mistimed romance, as well as difficulties in commitment and the whole "You don't know what you had 'till you've lost it" thing. Overall, a fairly romantic film with a healthy dose of humor.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 24, 2007
Two people meet on a trip to New York but due to bad timing, different cities, other relationships and jobs, they can't seem to be together. Interesting plot.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 16, 2008
A very funny love comedy about 2 people who keep staying in touch until they finally decide to be together. While flying from Los Angeles to New York, the "good boy" Oliver Martin (Ashton Kutcher) meets the "bad girl" Emily Friehl (Amanda Peet) and they have sex in the restroom. They stay together along the day in New York, when Oliver discloses the planning of his life - his future career, successful job and then raising a family. He gives the phone number of his mother to Emily and asks her to call seven years later to check. For seven years, they occasionally meet each other, and in the end, their relationship becomes love.
deano
deano

June 3, 2007
Good romantic comedy like When Harry Met Sally... There has a deaf actor in the movie as Ashton Kutcher's deaf brother.
Rachel F

May 31, 2007
Not one of Ashton's best but its ok.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

June 2, 2006
This movie doesn't have a story...
neumdaddy
neumdaddy

September 25, 2005
[i]I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.[/i]

I guess.

I am typing this entry with 10 little milky crescent moons on my fingers, growing ever fuller. I could probably whittle them down to manageable talons with the scraggy 30-grade callouses on my heels, avoiding the blisters of course. One of these blisters is as multi-colored as a hobgoblin. It looks like it was dipped in honey and raspberry sauce. But, not so appetizing. All in the name of nomadic pursuits!

I'm back. Hullo.

And now, to steer things in this journal back to its typically engaging output...
Topic of the day: Jennifer Lopez = adult Hilary Duff. Discuss.
Christopher H

March 29, 2010
Don't know how many times I've seen this movie, but enjoy more and more each time I see it. Not to mention the greatest soundtrack of any movie, maybe ever. Great scenes, great acting, great music. I want Ashton's brother in this movie.
Joseph E

December 30, 2009
Could've been alot funnier..it was alright as Romatic-Comedies go, but it was really boring during some scenes.
Yinalí R

February 2, 2008
Very romantic, and random!
Erin C

March 14, 2011
This was ok...I'm not a big fan of Kutcher, but the story was cute enough. The ending could've been better...it just ended suddenly.
weelee18
weelee18

October 22, 2007
not bad..
Lee K

March 10, 2008
ok movie but i would never buy it or watch it again
Richard F

August 14, 2007
A Lot Like Crap.
Let's start with the positives. I really liked the shirt that Ashton Kutcher wore at the New Year's party. I wish I had a shirt like that. Yeah, that's all the only good thing I can say about his uncomfortable experience. Whoever has the the idea that "rebound relationships" and "getting used" is romantic has a sick, twisted idea of love. Amanda Peet plays a completely contemptuous character that jumps Ashton Kutcher whenever she gets dumped. Then she blames him for being a pig while condemning him for not making the first move. Hypocritical and annoying. Did I mention that she likes to light cigarettes every 5 minutes and blow the smoke in Kutcher's face? Is there a deliberate attempt to make these characters despised? To make matters worse, Kutcher is too stupid to care that he is just being used. This movie manages to be wildly inconsistent. Is Kutcher's character very awkward with women, or is he the cool character that outsmarts others (e.g. the choking scene)? Other scenes have no support, like Amanda Peet's boyfriend just leaving her when she gets a call for an auditon for a part in a movie. No hint of him feeling this way prior to his departure? I could go on and on tearing apart this movie but I've already wasted enough time watching it. I found myself squirming through the first 45 minutes before I got smart and turned it off. I just couldn't take it anymore. If I paid $10 to watch it at a theater, I would have walked out but not asked for my money back because I would have been too embarrassed that I paid money for this. Despite all of this, while I was watching this movie, I came up with a few suggestions for altering the scenes to make them better. Here they are:

1. In the scene when Amanda Peet's character is choking, make it so that she isn't faking it. Then end the movie there.

2. When Kutcher and Peet decide they aren't speaking to each other on their date, just make sure they continue doing that for rest of the movie.

If you like predictable movies with dumb, unlikeable characters and predictable plotlines that desecrate other movies in its genre that did it earlier and much better, then by all means check out this movie. Instead, I would recommend "When Harry Met Sally" or "Before Sunrise", movies that take this idea and do it right.
iLeo
iLeo

October 13, 2006
Funny and very sweet!
Wu C

August 27, 2006
I forgot i saw this. Thats the lasting power of this one.
moviegirl50
July 31, 2006
Enjoyed Ashton Kutcher and Amanda Peet immensely in this movie with a little of a "When Harry Met Sally" feel to it. Kutcher and Peet have not always and are still not my favorites...I guess they are beginning to grow on me. I avoided this movie for the simple fact that she was starring in it....this was a mistake...I truly liked this more than many of the newer movies I've seen. It made me laugh and smile.