—— Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Love Actually Reviews

John M

March 20, 2007
An amazing ensemble pulls of a movie that if it were anyone else I prob would not like. I am a sucker for a good funny romantic movie and this one had everything. Incredible acting makes this a winner.
Wildaly M

November 19, 2006
I agree with RT's verdict. Too many stories, charming cast.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 18, 2007
It's All About Love... Actually.

Saw it again once again! Great Movie!!! Loved the stories in each equal way and the phrase "To me you're perfect" will forever be imprinted with me.

Everywhere you look, love is causing chaos. From the bachelor Prime Minister of the United Kingdom who on his first day at 10 Downing Street, falls in love with the girl who brings him his tea, to a hopeless sandwich delivery guy who doesn't think he has a chance with the girls in the U.K., so he heads for Wisconsin. From aging rock stars, to a stony headmistress, to a monolingual Portuguese housemaid love arrives in many forms, shapes and sizes. Here, ten separate but intertwining stories of love all lead up to a big climax on Christmas Eve, proving that love is the driving force in all of these people's lives.
Alice S

August 10, 2007
Some believe "Love Actually" is a senseless gimmick - a surface holiday love story with beautiful people... and not even a holiday story at that, as seen from recent vehement debates (and maybe not even beautiful people, owing to the goofus face of Kris Marshall who's at least got a big knob). For me and countless others though, never has so many intertwining stories meshed so well with the messages of peace, goodwill, love of all kinds, and even gifting. There is seriously no character or storyline that I don't like.

To those who say Jamie and Aurelia falling in love without speaking the same language is stupid and unrealistic, consider the intuitive connection that some people have and how they understand each other and communicate through actions and looks other than words, forming emotional bonds through the journey of misunderstanding and miscommunication.

To those who say Sarah's an idiot for answering her mentally ill brother's phone call in the middle of getting it on with hot Karl, consider how that obsessive impulse of hers is to show that she needs to take care of him as much as he needs taking are of, and perhaps that's why she shouldn't have a romantic relationship right now.

To those who hate Mia for seducing Harry, consider the slut-shaming double standard of women always being the seducers and the men always having no choice but to be seduced. Mia flirts with her married boss; he is still culpable for deceiving his wife.

To those who think Colin and the American quintet is misogynistic and anti-American, consider the pure, "lust, actually" fantasy fulfillment in an otherwise pretty earnest, British movie. In an arguable attempt at showing female agency, Colin is no longer the pushy manwhore; the women are now the pursuers, and their totally obvious macking techniques show that they are quite aware of the easy-American-girl-who-falls-for-foreigners stereotype, and they use it to their advantage.

To those who say Mark is a pansy for harboring romantic feelings for Juliet, a woman he seems to hardly know (as evidenced allegedly by their few scenes together), consider her honest self-deprecation (claiming she's nice aside from for her bad taste in pie), amiability (in hoping she and Mark can be better friends), and direct motivation (in pursuing the video she knows he clearly has). In sum, she HAS a personality and is certainly likable, even lovable. To those who say they are both douches - he for professing his feelings and she for kissing him - consider Mark's utterly agenda-less act of love as a gift of truth, friendship, and apology for his coldness, and Juliet's kiss as one of comfort and thanks.

I love "Love Actually," and anybody who doesn't should get a heart!
KJ P

January 14, 2010
When this film begins, you may feel that there are too many characters placed into this "story," but I guarantee that by the end of the film you will not need to feel that way. From a cast all the way up to Liam Neeson and all the way down to Andrew Lincoln, this film does not have one poor actor and everyone has great chemistry. There are many memorable scenes, and the spirit of Christmas is really flawlessly represented here, and I couldn't imagine this script working better with anyone else. The film is 135 minutes long, but it doesn't feel any longer than 90 minutes. You are pulled into each story and you can easily follow each one, whether it is a sad story, a happy story, or a just flat out hilarious one. "Love Actually" has great writing, a great cast, and multiple stories that fit very well together. This is a much better film than I was hoping for. It's Great!
blkbomb
blkbomb

March 3, 2013
Sam: Let's do it. Let's go get the shit kicked out of us by love.

"Love Actually is all around"

Love Actually is a film that surprised me. It was never one I was excited to watch, but by circumstance I did and I'm happy I did. It's a romantic comedy centered around the Christmas holiday and it's one I thoroughly enjoyed. The big cast and multiple story lines made the film feel a lot shorter than its over two hour runtime.

The film follows very different relationships in England around Christmas. The relationships vary from married couples to friends to a child's first love, but all keep the same theme even if there's a different tone to each of them. All the seemingly different story lines converge upon each other on Christmas Eve at a school Christmas musical.

The cast includes Bill Nighy, Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, Emma Watson, Keira Knightley, Liam Neeson, and Hugh Grant amongst others and each actor lends a different piece of the huge puzzle that is being pieced together. My favorites were Liam Neeson and Bill Nighy, but each and every cast member was terrific.

It's not a hard movie to like, like a lot of romantic comedies. It's truly heartfelt and I especially enjoyed the child's love story. It was beautiful. Definitely a film that every romantic heart should see, and even if you don't have that romantic heart, like me, you'll still enjoy yourself. Well worth the watch.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Everyone seems to rave about this movie and really love it, and, now that I've finally seen it, I must ask, "What film were you watching?" I like ensemble films, since I'm a fan of Altman and P. T. Anderson, but those two seem to be the only ones who can do this really well. Instead of being a great movie, this came off as like a British version of Garry Marshall's more recent films, and that sure isn't a compliment.

What we have here are a series of interconnected storylines all involving love that take place in London over the course of the five weeks before Christmas. We've got a new Prime Minister, an aging rock star who knows his current music sucks, and all kinds of office workers and parents, and house wives and husbands.

I will admit that it's not the worst thing in the world that the film is cheery and upbeat, but it goes too far and is instead extremely corny and sappy, just as much so as all of the sugary music on the soundtrack. ALso, this film is overstuffed with characters and things going on, and understuffed where real development and characterization is concerned. It's also 135 minutes, and that just isn't necessary.

There's of course a very notable cast, with the likes of Alan Rickman, Bill nighy, Colin Firth, Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Laura Linney, Liam Neeson, and Keira Knightley all showing up, and some of them do okay, with Nighy as the old rocker being my favorite (and the best part of the film), but I think I was most entertained by the cameos from Rowan Atkinson and Billy Bob Thornton. Nobody really sucks here, but a lot of them could have been far better. I think the main problem is that the film tries too hard, and tries to do too much. Any one of the subplots would have been a decent film on their own, so it bugs me that they all have to be strung together here.

YEah, some of the film is undeniably funny and charming, but it goes on for way too long, is repetitive, and doesn't utilize all of the talent involved to the fullest possible levels. Ignore the hype and give this a skip.
Dan S

June 24, 2007
A clustered, not funny enough, overly schmaltz-filled fest concerning people in London looking for love, and how each one of them is connected to each other in some random way. It's not a bad idea, it's just that there are way too many stories going on here, and director Richard Curtis does not give any of them enough time to develop before rushing to the next one and developing it with as little effort as possible. The character development is severely lacking as well, outside of Liam Neeson's part, no one here is particularly that likable. I guess we're supposed to love Hugh Grant's charm, but the same way he frowns at the President of the United States (Billy Bob Thornton) as he puts a move on the girl he's interested in as well is hilarious considering the undetected hypocrisy of the entire situation. It's a harmless movie but it doesn't have really anything to say, and the corny schmaltzy-ness gets to be near gag-inducing near the conclusion.
Jason S

December 26, 2006
good story
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

March 1, 2012
Enjoyable romantic comedy with a stellar cast. Makes London look beautiful, which, if you've ever been there--well, I don't want to badmouth London, but it can get kind of damp and cold, so maybe it is beautiful but I was so busy shivering in my knickers I didn't notice. Lots of fun on a winter night.
familiar s

January 6, 2009
This multi-storied rom-com-drama isn't constructed well enough for thorough entertainment. Tolerable enough, there's not much to savor in this drag of a flick to recommend it. Skip Factually.
Sophie B

February 17, 2006
A christmas time staple that may not be perfect but is a fantastic and enjoyable British film with many laughs from its all star cast.
Everett J

October 25, 2009
"Love Actually" is my second favorite movie of all time. I absolutely adore this film. It's the perfect romantic comedy. It's funny, sad, raunchy, romantic,fun, it's everything you could want in a movie really. The cast is amazing! Liam Neeson, Kiera Knightly, Bill Nighy, Andrew Lincoln, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Alan Rickman, and many more. It's about several people in England and how love affects them leading up to Christmas. A best man in love with the bride, a woman who's husband is cheating, a man left with his step son after his wife dies. Hell even the new prime minister finds love. There are many different stories, and I love how they all weave together. Plus Billy Mack may be the coolest character ever in a movie. I'm also convinced that Colin Frissell is based off of me(only British), because I'm a god of sex:-p If you have never seen this movie, RUN and get a copy. It's a perfect Christmas movie for adults(lots of cussing and some nudity, so not for the kiddos). I try to watch this every year around Christmas time, and I love it more and more each passing year.
Apeneck F

July 5, 2007
Chock full of popular songs here is a a Christmas card from England to us all ... or at least it feels like that. And it feels good. And so, in time for the season and lest I forget, a very Merry Christmas to everyone. God bless us all ... everyone.
movieguru12
movieguru12

December 8, 2007
Just a fantastic and wonderful movie. The bonds and connections between characters were just great! A great love story :) Another one of my absolute favorite movie to watch at Christmas :) :) :) :) :) :) Love the various story lines! (:
Drake T

July 11, 2011
An irresistibly sweet and charming series of formulaic love stories in a mosaic of storytelling.

There's nothing particularly outstanding about the writing or the romances but I guess that's not the point. The point is, it's overwhelmingly warm and fuzzy despite how often falls into a pit of contrive direction.

That and there's one major saving grace, the cast! Absolutely brilliant, so much enthusiasm and passion thrown into this that it's really not worth the trouble to criticize :/
Adam M

June 1, 2007
Hugh Grant, as the new British Prime Minister, plays a stereotypically American spirit. Billy Bob Thornton is given the role of a U.S. President who is very like a satanic Brit and a politician from the pre-Victorian era. The American-British relationship has never been at a lower level, if the British people can fall head over heels for this.

It's OK, don't worry: America gets fully appreciated for its sexy tarts. And English girls are represented by the beauty-virtue of Keira Knightley, whose wedding video looks like an audition tape to be the next Noxzema girl.

Most of this movie could earn the title "Love Counterfactually," so don't let anyone say that the Brits can't outdo Hollywood. Of all the story lines in this wish-fufillment fantasia, Liam Neeson's is the worst, for using Liam throughout the whole spectrum of emotional manipulations, from righteous widowhood to perfect stepfather to Claudia-Schiffer fucker. As a Brit paean to love, it doesn't get much better than greeting-card poetasty. But the structure is an interesting, successful experiment with the big-budget ensemble picture, and there are a few good performances in addition to some good lines. Hugh Grant and Bill Nigby are funny and Colin Firth is endearing, actually.
murphmann93
murphmann93

July 6, 2008
One of my all time favourite films. A brilliant cast and a truly remarkable love story. The sense of humour and hilarity is also what makes this film so beautiful.
Summer W

July 5, 2007
I adore this film. It shows the many different aspects of love, and not every scenario has a happy ending. Touching and fun.
Lucas M

June 11, 2011
Love Actually, almost is just more one boring and sentimental romantic comedy by Richard Curtis. This changes, and with the time, the audience start to see a sweet film that brings a lot of good storys of love and a flew laughs with the comic cast.