Love Actually Reviews

November 28, 2009
The amount of different characters and subplots is what in a way defines the film, which is a problem since some stories are actually quite engaging and interesting, whereas others are just plain ridiculous, cliche and uninteresting.

6-/10
½ July 28, 2007
As somewhat of a British enthusiast, I can't help but be enamored with this movie. You get all of their culture packed into a series of effortlessly connected plot lines and some love thrown in as the title so aptly suggests. It's a film simply about how love defines us across all forms of life whether you're British or not. And it actually gets it right!
June 19, 2015
A well-packaged movie about different kinds of love. All the stories are somewhat interconnected though some of them more heart-warming than the others.
½ June 11, 2015
Love Actually has the perfect amount of actors and storylines. It never feels overstuffed and every one of the stories is excellent. I'm not even a big rom-com fan, but this one really stuck with me. A tremendously charming, romantic, and hilarious Christmas movie. You'll love it!
May 29, 2015
one of my top 22 films
½ November 26, 2007
I've been avoiding this film for many years but finally I thought I'd give it a shot and I was very pleasantly surprised. Although many of the cast are those I would normally avoid, the style of the film, being several small vignettes about romance at christmas, meant that you do not get too much of any of em. It a nice christmas film to add to the festive list too.
½ August 22, 2007
Generic Xmas Huge Grant boring waff
August 30, 2012
I suppose it's watchable, but only barely. A cluster of characters with no purpose. Too many pieces to tell a coherent and meaningful story; Curtis seems to prefer the idea of love over the reality of it. Seems as though he strives to use every horrible cliché possible.
½ April 4, 2009
A guilty pleasure from Richard Curtis, 'Love Actually' is a brilliant Brit rom-com featuring a multitude of interweaving storylines following the likes of Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, Keira Knightley and many more. With a hilarious storyline and a quintessential Christmas story, Curtis' flick is powerful, sentimental, hilarious and rather inspirational. With a mix of different characters and storylines, 'Love Actually' is a vast romantic and comedic epic set in London during a month prior to Christmas.
March 11, 2015
Seems to grow on me more and more with each passing of the Holiday season. Puts a smile on your face at the best time of the year.

That being said, I don't know how it'll feel watching this in the spring or summer.
March 10, 2015
One of my favourite films. I watch it every year 5 weeks before Christmas. Great cast, heartwarming and funny.
October 29, 2006
Sweet movie... and i think i'm in love with Colin Firth! :D
½ March 4, 2015
88%
Watched this on 03/03/15
Love actually has one of the best ensemble casts you can find in modern cinema. What catches the eye are the stories of Hugh Grant( you will see no Prime Minister like this ever again) and Liam Neesom while the rest are simply just there. The story of Laura Linney turned out to be pointless and misplaced and the story of Andrew Lincoln and Keira Knightly seems to be too racist for this sugar coated thriller. Richard Curtis has directed this thriller aptly and actor Bill Nighy gives a terrific performance.
½ January 26, 2015
There were just too many storylines that got too little screentime to get really invested into one of them. It's a pity, because I was interested in at least few of them. The short time for each story also made them not very believable.
½ December 11, 2007
The loveliest movie about love..best seen around Christmas.
½ May 18, 2011
Energetically spirited by an all-star British cast and some moments of warmth and occasional humor makes this episodic romance a probable inspiration or a successful hit on the multi-plot structure despite not giving each stories equal shines and having few clichéd moments being overly dramatic as one commitment between a single couple is what uninvolved surroundings seems to focus on than their own businesses out of silliness. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ February 9, 2015
I'll take Bill Nighy's great performance and you can keep the rest.
February 1, 2015
There's a lot of that typical melodrama that comes with these type of movies, that's to be expected. What this movie really suffers from is that it juggles all of these multiple intersecting storylines, and the viewer will perhaps only care for a third of them.
April 21, 2014
Grade:High 8/10

Love Actually is just about an excellent Romcom which balances that
Romance and Comedy perfectly to be one of the highest rated ever. A
great film with some great actors and cameos with a great writer
,director and story which well just goes together perfectly. In my
review I'll tell you why overall I found this to be a great piece of
cinema and why you should watch it too if you haven't.

The story is intertwined and lot's of things go on at once, this makes
for one interesting piece which I am sure you find delightful and heart
warming at the same time. It is more romantic than funny but the humour
flows at times and you can feel yourself laughing a lot and then
feeling sorry for someone because there sad too, it has it's moments.
Another thing with the story is that the intertwining doesn't confuse
you and the characters always know each other but not too much to
bother them in there side of the love mega triangle.

I loved the acting of the various actors on show with such people as
Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman among the fantastic people
on show. Liam Neeson I think stays with you with an emotionless
performance that suddenly becomes emotional because of his son's
problems in the story and your heart strings are pulled by the end in
part well, you will see or know what I mean with Neeson's sweet little
son. A great cameo from Rowan Atkinson as the jewellery store owner is
one of the funniest bits of the film and annoys Alan Rickman so well,
it great.

Richard Curtis who directs and writes this is just superb and one the
best ever with Romantic Comedies. His idea is brilliant and comes to
life not just with the great acting but also his great script and I
feel he deserves even more acclaim for his work than he already does
so. The script is gold and ever so smartly done by Curtis and Curtis is
just the mastermind of the entire project as a whole.

The film is not without slight criticisms and I guess it is in the
sense that it is not laugh out loud funny and sometimes the laughter
can be cut short by an emotional scene which doesn't quite work so well
in parts. Although the film hardly suffers from these tiny things and
all together it is just Great so not much to write here in a critical
sense of the film.

I think people who like RomComs should love this film as it isn't poor
in that area although people looking for hilarious jokes are going to
bore themselves here. The story is soppy and for those who hate loved
up feel good films then please don't watch this or you will hate it,
because that is the entire film in a nutshell. All kind of people
should like it but some won't, it just what happens with film, not
every film can pleasure everyone.

Overall a higher 8/10 from me meaning it is great, it is only just there and
just about steers clear of just being a very good movie. If you dislike
it I would think it would still be an OK film so it worth a watch of
course, sit back and if you have a lover then this is perfect for you
because if anything it can make you near fall more in love than you
were before.
½ December 26, 2011
Like some of the stories, hate others (Laura Linney...gag)...it's fun but completely overrated.