Love and Death Reviews

April 24, 2007
Let's start here: I have only a passing familiarity with the great Russian novelists, and I've never read War and Peace. However, in much the same way as Monty Python and the Holy Grail, you can enjoy the sheer silliness of the period spoof without being a medieval scholar - and if you have the specialized knowledge, you'll find it even funnier... a possibility that blows my mind, because I'm not exactly sure how this film _could_ be any funnier. Every line of dialogue is a punchline, and by cross-pollinating his stand-up and a satirical historical film, Allen has written the most hilarious script of his career. Throw in a classic performance from Diane Keaton - her chemistry with Allen is magnificent, again - and I knew before I even reached the end: this is my favourite piece by this director. Vintage Woody, and timeless; a must-see.
May 6, 2007
Possibly my new favorite Allen film. Filled with his signature blend of philoso-comedy, Allen pays tribute to Bergman and Dostoevsky in only the way he can. Full of amazing screwball dialog to boot.
½ April 21, 2012
In this early Allen effort his love for the Marx Bros. (particularly Groucho) is worn on his sleeve and the picture is very reminiscent of Mel Brooks' own Twelve Chairs. Throw in a couple of 70's style psuedo-intellectual "conversations" ("I'm overwhelming you with my superiorocity!") and you have a fun, silly, younger Allen, not so impressed with himself yet, easier to relate to. He never finds anyone as good as he to play himself, we know, and his infatuation w/Keaton allows her Dumont-like status beside him.
November 5, 2006
Love and Death is pretty much your standard Woody Allen fare from the 70s. It borrows heavily from Ingmar Bergman and the Marx Brothers and at times is downright hysterical but once its over I'm not going to really give it a second thought. I would've given this a 3 1/2 star rating if it wasn't for that last act, but since the only Russian novel I've ever read was Nabokov's Lolita most of the references were lost on me. The warm cockles line had me rolling almost as much as the scene where Sonja's first husband dies and the look on Diane Keaton's face during it. And speaking of which, Keaton was so goddamned cute. Worth it for her if nothing else even if her comic timing's not as good as Allen's...
½ January 4, 2009
Love and Death, starring Woody Allen and Diane Keaton is hillarious. What a great take on Russian grand films....soo funny.
September 13, 2008
Terrible. Just terrible. Pedantic philosophy and overbearing slapstick. I love Woody but he is too self-indulgent in this.
½ May 26, 2008
Some scenes were kind of hilarious but I prefer Woody's versions romcom or dramedy to straight comedy anyday.
½ October 4, 2007
Early Allen flicks are still his best. This being the most polished of the bunch.
½ September 6, 2011
Watch this movie just for Diane Keaton. I noticed a couple of parallels to Annie Hall, which of course came after this and was a big improvement. Pretty funny stuff, but not as philosophically engaging as some of his later films.
September 8, 2007
Gloriously absurd. Its also a pretty effective parody of Russian novels and Ingmar Bergman films.
July 25, 2012
Woody Allen is a true master of comedy. His dialogue, his timing, his delivery -- all are near-perfect. "Love and Death" represents one of his finer efforts. Plain and simple, it's quality filmmaking. You can tell that everyone involved is having fun with what they're doing. And even though its humor is smarter than most other films, most people will be able to find their footing. "Love and Death" is intelligent, well-directed and immensely quotable, and if you don't find yourself laughing at least once during its entirety, then you might not have a sense of humor.
July 23, 2012
Absurdly brilliant! LOVE AND DEATH, is an extremely dark comedy from the manic mind of Woody Allen. I have to say that the ending to this movie, is one of my all-time favorites.
Critique Threatt
February 18, 2011
A light comedy that tries to well...put in as many slapstick laughs as possible. Allen and Keaton have great chemistry together. I guess those two were sort of made for each other on screen. Allen uses a bit of Bergman elements and I also noticed in later scenes when he is questioning the meaning of God and death he addresses his view to the audience. Call it a trademark. "Love And Death" feels like theater play, never takes itself seriously and stays within it's grounds.
½ February 27, 2009
"The wheat! Fields full of wheat!"
January 7, 2009
I'm not a great fan of Woody Allen's acting, clever clever dialogue and I don't like the setting for this film, but I love the premise: man struggling to escape death, physical, idealogical and literal, with humorous consequences.
½ June 9, 2008
a period piece, more of a zany history lesson..keaton and Allen play off each other brilliantly as usual...goofy but funny...enjoyable to watch and experience
½ June 29, 2007
I think I'd have a greater appreciation for this movie if I had a greater appreciation for Russian literature.
September 17, 2015
Woody Allen and Diane Keaton go on a silly romp through 19th century Russia during the Napoleonic Wars while pondering deep and profound questions on life and the existence of god. Think Tolstoy's War and Peace with a lot of corny jokes.
½ November 22, 2014
In Allen's Love and Death, Allen parodies the 19th century era along with various Russian literature. Although I am not familiar with these books, I still found this movie to be funny. He has many great lines, and so many of jokes are so quick you have to listen attentively to this film.
October 7, 2013
Besides being one of Woody's most consistently witty films, "Love and Death" marks a couple of other advances for Mr. Allen as a film maker and for Miss Keaton as a wickedly funny comedienne.