Love Me if You Dare Reviews

September 20, 2011
Artsy fartsy French film...never could get into this kind too much.
½ February 24, 2013
Not only is every scene between mother and son hideously corny and sentimental, but it is almost impossible to put up with two sociopaths so utterly immature, disgusting and loathsome amid conflicts that are all childish, irritating and artificial.
September 19, 2011
Juvenile and selfish, Love Me If You Dare dares to entertain in an appalling manner depicting an affair adulterated by irrationality, irresponsibility, and immaturity. Inspired by Amélie in cinematic behavior and approach, Love Me If You Dare is an intriguing confusion communicating offensive and embarrassing messages aggravated by improper humor.
January 23, 2007
I stopped watching this halfway through and, you know what, I don't feel even remotely bad about it. 2011 is too short to be spending with fictional douchebags!
½ October 6, 2008
Not as romantic as I was envisioning, but it was still good. The characters started to get on my nerves in some cases and I felt that it should have reached the ending earlier but I see why it was done the way it was done. It was pretty good... I wish they would not consider J'eax d'enfants to mean "Love Me If You Dare" and should keep it meaning "Child's Play" since it really is all about a childish game all throughout the film.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ May 24, 2009
This is such a strange, and cute story about two friends who dare each other their whole lives. One of those perfect reality romances.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
September 18, 2008
"Tell me that you love me first because I'm afraid that if I tell you first you'll think that I'm playing the game."

As adults, best friends Julien and Sophie continue the odd game they started as children -- a fearless competition to outdo one another with daring and outrageous stunts. While they often act out to relieve one another's pain, their game might be a way to avoid the fact that they are truly meant for one another.

REVIEW
A movie about the secret real age of everyone. A film about games, illusions and desire. A love story. And a nostalgic french comedy. In fact, a subtle attempt to self-definition. I believe in childhood immortality. In the colors of a magic frame of mind who save every moment of routine. And this nice movie is only a pledge for the delicious "etat d'enfance". For the force of a strange love not for a person but for some words in which everybody is master of the moment. A toy, a game, a habit are elements of a sweet condition and parts of life's assumes. The Peter Pan spirit is the essence of every gesture of Julien, the root of his vacillation and ambiguity.

The box is treasure, legacy, source of power and cruelty, Narnia's door. It is the body of mum's memory and form of special normality. Because it is a gift with magic valences, the wall of personal world. The precious element of "Jeux d'enfants" is Marion Cotillard acting. Subtle, precise, well-balanced. Like in "Big Fish", his character is a light's source and sign of miracle, And it is not very easy.

A good film about a form of spell.
MANUGINO
½ September 25, 2009
Just an epic film!!! This movie was fun and exciting and unpredictable from beginning to end, just a wonderful treat!!! Amazing acting and heartfelt all throughout. Absolutely loved it!!!

Jeux d'enfants ('Child's play') or 'Love me if you dare' is a love story born of a game of truth or dare gone out of control. When they first meet, Julien impresses Sophie (a bullied newcomer to his town) with a game based on a present from his mother - a brightly coloured candy tin. Thereafter the two are engaged in a playful rivalry: whoever has the box can force the other to perform a dare to get it back. Jeux d'enfants is comparable to 'In July' or 'A Life Less Ordinary', with significant dark-humour moments. Challenges esculate to include social faux pas (wearing clothing inside out) to outright cruelty (seducing an admirer to steal her earring, with no regard for her feelings).
Yet their love is honest throughout, despite the distinctly sociopathic tendencies that Julien is developing. It's when the relationship breaks up and Sophie reconnects with him as an adult that the plot becomes disjointed - turning into what some can interpret as an alternative timeline or even the dying dreams of 'what could have been'.
deano
½ July 20, 2009
A French grown-up fairy tale with an irresistible mix of romance, fantasy and dark comedy between Sophie (Marion Cotillard) and Julien (Guillaume Canet) whose invent an outrageous game of "Dare" to keep their spirits alive from child to adults is wild, hilarious and fantastic. I like French actress Marion Cotillard in her performance that makes me feel like I'm drooling onto her. LOL!
½ May 6, 2007
So French...loved the colors...soooooo French
January 13, 2012
Cute comedy that takes place over a number of years. Not too bad of an effort.
November 18, 2007
Yeuch. Had it not been for the truly excellent performances from Guillaume Canet and Marion Cotillard I am pretty confident I would have switched this off half way through. Jeux d'enfants is a repetitive, twee mess, that attempts to cut through the afore-mentioned twee-ness by injecting pseudo-darkness and by tacking on annoying surrealist tangents. The central characters are both gruesome and grotesque and highly unlikeable, and between the contrivances and unconvincing comedy and the hurl-worthy ending, there's little here to recommend this film aside for some admittedly interesting directorial flourishes and the acting.
½ December 5, 2007
A love story to die for!
DrStrangeblog
½ October 14, 2010
The French title Jeux d'Enfants actually translates to Children's Games. The English title is fairly clever since dares make up the main attraction between Julien and Sophie, from children through adulthood. What began as playful becomes progressively hurtful leading up to a rather ridiculous (or I suppose incredibly romantic, depending on your POV) final dare. This is a very twisted love story which starts out great with terrific fanciful visuals from director Yann Samuell reminiscent of Jeunet, but fails to sustain its premise in part because these two characters as adults aren't particularly likable. I think this could have worked, as Sophie and Julien only find real thrills in life when they are challenging each other, but emerges as a mixed bag.
shannylee38
½ October 6, 2007
Not your typical romantic film! It is indeed charming but not cheesy!
May 25, 2008
Sweet. As spirited as Amelie but not as sophisticated.
October 5, 2008
A quirky French film, like "Amelie" in style, but with an unprecedented storyline. Fans of French cinema will enjoy this.
mingsysar
March 2, 2006
Very intriguing, with interesting ideas, compelling characters and a great screenplay, but the ending ruined the whole thing for me.
jimbotender
½ August 7, 2008
Strong and excessively romantic,here's a film even hard-core guys will enjoy because of their prejudice on "chick flicks".Cotillard in one of her first major roles and a surreal atmosphere gain the movie's bonus points.