A Love Song for Bobby Long - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Love Song for Bobby Long Reviews

½ January 31, 2009
"It has its moments."

Exactly my opinion about the movie. When I came to leave my rating, I saw it already being rated as "NOT INTERESTED". Time!!! But having seen it now, it's neither awfully boring (give or take a few moments) nor the least interesting.All the same, relatively better than a few I recently sat through. Check it out if you're running out of options.
August 26, 2006
One of John Travolta's best performances ever. He's smart, funny, brilliant, incredible and unforgettable. An Oscar caliber performance. He has never delivered a better performance than he has here. Scarlett Johansson is sensational. Gabriel Macht is terrific. The entire cast works with such energy and dedication. An outstanding movie. Riveting, enjoyable, proficient and wonderfully entertaining. This is such an marvelous film. A beautiful piece of film that never misses a note. A masterpiece plain and simple. Simply magnificent and unforgettable. It's moving, intelligent and well-crafted.
June 23, 2009
Brilliant. John Travolta is so utterly lovable in this. The whole plot of the movie is fantastic and all of the actors perform amazingly. One of my favorites, for sure.
movieguru12
May 11, 2009
Dissapointing and it wasn't good that I was tired that night as well.
April 20, 2009
Starts fairly promisingly. It looks good and John Travolta is giving one of his best performances in years. Johansson shows up and doesn't let her looks become a distraction. It soon becomes just more sentimental crap trying it's hardest to tug at the heart strings. It tugs so hard that they simply snap and are rendered useless. Every character starts blurting out their inner feelings and emotions via long winded speeches. The ending is also a quick exit for the writer. It would have been great for a less dialogue heavy version where you can contemplate on the characters yourself. Instead we just get more forced drama shenannigans and of course Travolta just HAS to dance.
½ June 29, 2006
The story of a young woman moving into a run down house she inherited together with two drinking losers has potential for all kinds of movies. This is a humorous but calm family drama with three really convincing main roles. Travolta and Johansson are great as always, newcomer Gabriel Macht isn't any worse. The story of the two misfits taking care of the girl's school career is sometimes slow, maybe even too slow in the middle of the film, but easily carried by the humor and the acting performances. The film is also very beautifully shot, especially the New Orleans summer heat is almost palpable in most scenes. And the end, when the real reason for their connection is revealed, is actually really sweet and touching. Puts a smile on your face.
½ June 30, 2013
A Love Song for Bobby Long is a compelling and touching film about family. After her estranged mother dies Pursy Will inherits her house and discovers that it comes with two eccentric men who were her mother's close friends; and through them she re-discovers her mother and cleans up her life. The film has a good cast that includes Scarlett Johansson, John Travolta, and Gabriel Macht; who all deliver excellent performances. Travolta in particular gives a stunning performance that's unlike anything that he's done before. The writing is also quite good, with some very strong dialog. Though a tad melodramatic at times, A Love Song for Bobby Long is an impressive and moving character drama.
Harlequin68
½ February 8, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"A Love Song for Bobby Long" starts out just after the death of Lorraine Will, a singer, in New Orleans. Her daughter, Pursline(Scarlett Johansson), is a high school dropout living in a trailer park in Panama City, Fl. She finds out about the funeral a day too late. Once she arrives in New Orleans, she finds two alcoholic friends of her mother's living in her house - Bobby Long(John Travolta), a former literature professor and his loyal sidekick, Lawson(Gabriel Macht), who occasionally works on the Great American Novel. The men reveal that the house has been willed to all three of them.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"A Love Song for Bobby Long" is overall a mediocre movie that ends on a bad note. There is a nice message about the importance of education and some good dialogue(just the thought of teaching William Burroughs in a Catholic school...) but the film resembles nothing more than a middling stage play. That having been said, it does a very good job of capturing the ambience of New Orleans. Scarlett Johansson does show some range but John Travolta's performance is too mannered. [/font]
½ April 28, 2011
Travolta at his best, and Scarlett Johansson looking as sexy as ever in this moving, authentic, and quite brilliant drama. Set in New Orleans, it has a charming, old, and worn look. Maybe too slow for some, but well worth it for those that can relate.
April 10, 2007
"On Magazine Street" is beautiful portaryed, and Johansson and Travolta make this Dramatic-Heartfelt story a good one.

An Instant Classic. "Johansson is utterly amazing in this film. Travolta is classy, and stingy as a well educated , yet unhappy scholar from years ago.

The stars in this film are exceptional and rarely miss a note.
This film was full emotions, and heartfelt feeling. It is full smart dialouge.

This film is full Pervasive Sexually Explict Dialouge and refferences. This film is a great story, told with an old southern backdrop and feeling.

Four out of Four" Stars. Strong Reccomendation.
½ May 14, 2009
I really liked this movie. The acting was good, and the cast worked really well together. I liked how the story was told.
May 28, 2008
Great performances by Scarlett Johansson and John Travolta.
December 28, 2012
I thought this movie was great, shocked me in the end, John Travolta was super, great job that Scarlett Johansson did, also Gabriel
Macht, I really like his films, and the story line was also great. You have to see it and you will think the same.
½ October 29, 2012
Gabriel Macht gives a great performance, but John Travolta is just horrible. Seems a waste because it does have some insight into the heart of New Orleans.
September 16, 2012
One of the good movies I have seen.. I love this movie.. Gabriel Macht is good in here. Per the role, he is not as fit as I'd liked.. but it is the role he plays.. so it is fine.. he still looks very good!!
September 13, 2012
I'm a big fan of John Travolta films, and this one his performance was great. I like the southern sweetness of his character.
August 16, 2012
As usual, the critics miss the mark, but the audience hits it. In my opinion this is John Travolta's greatest performance. 3 dimensional characters, 5 star acting, and a solid story make this a great, real life, movie. Enjoy. I know you will.
August 6, 2012
an amazing story that shows what can happen when very different people are thrust into some very challenging situations. very happy/sad movie. great jazz music too.
April 26, 2012
A rare case where the movie is worlds better than the book it's based on; in this case "Off Magazine Street" by Ronald Everett Capps