—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Lovely, Still Reviews

Raymond W

January 9, 2012
With a beautiful story, great camera-work, interesting characters, and absolutely incredible acting from Martin Landau and Ellen Burstyn, "Lovely, Still" is a great romance film that is initially heartwarming, but ultimately turns bitter-sweet. The characters were not as compelling as they could have been, and I felt manipulated to cry, but "Lovely, Still" is lovely, still.
jjnxn
jjnxn

November 18, 2010
Beautifully acted and initially charming but ultimately bittersweet.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 24, 2010
Cast: Martin Landau, Ellen Burstyn, Adam Scott, Elizabeth Banks, Mark Booker, Candice Rose, Har Mar Superstar

Director: Nicholas Fackler

Summary: When his beautiful new neighbor Mary (Ellen Burstyn) asks him out on a date, elderly bachelor Robert (Martin Landau) suddenly finds himself swept up in the excitement and panic of new love. But as romance blossoms between the couple, an unexpected challenge arises that threatens to undermine the fledgling relationship.

My Thoughts: "Great performances by the seasoned actor's Martin Landau and Ellen Burstyn. Adam Scott and Elizabeth Banks were great as well. It's a great love story that goes in a direction that I had not seen coming. The story is bittersweet, and a bit of a tear jerker. But there is no denying how wonderfully sweet these two characters are. But to say to much about this film would be giving away the beautiful story. So my final words are, see this film. I am not one for romantic films, but this one really got to me. I absolutely loved it."
Cynthia S

November 23, 2010
I suspected early on that there was more to the story than was being told and so was not surprised when the whole truth was revealed. It is a gentle story - one of true love and the marital vows when people really love each other and fulfill the promise to love through sickness and health. It is especially meaningful to older adults, but a film that can (and should) be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Mark A

May 27, 2011
I really struggled with this one. As my wife said, you feel like you are missing some vital piece of information all through this up until the end, and that was true for me as well. The performance by Martin Landau is nothing short of amazing. He absolutely nailed the confusion and isolation brought on by aging. But there were too many logical gaps in the story to make this a truly memorable film. Certainly not a waste of time, if you can stick with it. Ellen Burstyn is marvelous as well, but this really is Martin's film. I wanted to like this more, but to explain my reasons for only giving it three stars would mean having to give away too much of the plot. Suffice it to say a little more back story would have helped immensely.
SC007
SC007

March 17, 2012
This is a very cute and sweet film with wonderful performances. Martin Landau and Ellen Burstyn shine in this film. They have a great on screen chemistry. Elizabeth Banks and Adam Scott provide solid supporting work here.

The problem that I had with the film was that it felt too much like a stage play and not a movie. Also I thought the tone of the film was not balanced. It couldn't decide if it wanted to be a romantic comedy or a melodrama. Despite that, I enjoyed the film, especially cause of Landau and Burstyn.
John B

October 14, 2010
I have to say that I dread revealing any of the plot. Look at the description below...m'kay? Let's just say that it is a real shame that this film went practically straight to DVD. Landau and Burstyn might have gotten Oscar nods for their performances. Just see it and we can chat, okay?
January 14, 2012
Nice cinematography, but not enough character development. It was hard for me to get involved in this romance without at least a smidgeon of information about the lead characters. Their lines seemed to me unconvincing and somewhat contrived. The whole film needs a much more coherent script.
June 14, 2012
Sweet Story, Great Acting, and had a Twist at the end. Don't expect a totally feel good movie like i did... it turns a little eerie, sad and strange at parts. I wouldn't really give this a pg rating either PG-13 seems more appropriate I wouldn't want my kids to watch this..
FanBoyCritic
March 12, 2012
Plot/Summary,Martin Landau and Ellen Burstyn topline the debut of writer/director Nik Fackler in Lovely Still, a whimsical romance tale that follows an elderly grocery-store bagger (Landau) who experiences his first pangs of love in the form of Burstyn. Elizabeth Banks portrays the woman's daughter, while Adam Scott handles the role of the store's owner.
My Review
The tale of this is quite simple its about an elder man named Robert who go's on a date with his neighbor Mary and quickly falls in love with her. This is his bang in love and dosn't know much so he go's to his friend Mike for help. Throughout this movie i just feel good and well that's it. It's got great acing but not to well on the cinematography. Its a good flick and a feel good film and that's pretty much all i can say about it.
blizzpirate
blizzpirate

November 17, 2011
Ida K

July 3, 2011
This movie is a cross between 'The Notebook' and 'Fifty First Dates' for the geriatric set. Only the main character is male. I realized very early on what was going on, as my mother-in-law suffered from the same disease. Despite the sad nature of the movie, I thought it was a good love story, fairly realistic and I enjoyed the how the twists and turns slowly made the rest of the audience aware of what was happening.
January 8, 2011
"If you want, I'll be there." Ah old love. A radiant Ellen Burstyn and a charming Martin Landau embark in their elderly years on a new romance. Every morning as Robert(Landau) wakes up the camera embraces and caresses his aged face as he brushes his teeth, flosses and shaves. He works at the local grocery store bagging groceries, where his boss Mike(Adam Scott) comes across as a bit of a douche at first, a role Scott has played a lot, but he seems to really care about Robert and is a pretty good friend to him, giving him advice and driving him around. Shortly before Christmas Robert gets a new neighbor in Mary(Burstyn) who almost immediately asks him out on a date. In a bit part, Elizabeth Banks plays her daughter Alex. Christmas music is also most of the score but it doesn't come across as distracting or too suffocatingly cheerful. Robert runs about in anticipation of their first date like a young high schooler with a big grin spread from ear to ear, till he realizes he is nervous and starts asking advice from everyone he knows. They embark on a charming romance but every morning before Robert's alarm of Christmas music goes off, waking him up, there are slightly menacing flickering lights and images of memories floating through his head. Lovely, Still undeservingly sat around for a couple of years before getting dumped into just a few theaters. It's charming leads and capable direction by first timer Nicholas Fackler, make this engrossing, if slightly flawed film well worth checking out. B.
November 6, 2013
My Review
October 17, 2013
Being. 70 year old widower, I was eager to see two of my contemporaries perform in an adult film. Was I ever disappointed. The story was inane, the acting excessive and the warmth lacking. The only saving grace was the film was short. I guess it's back to On Golden Pond.
Robyn M.
October 15, 2012
This is an extraordinary movie. I can't believe the director is so young - his wisdom is way beyond his years. Landau and Burstyn are luminous and un-Botoxed in this haunting drama about what true love really is. Be sure to watch very carefully as the details give insight into what is quickly revealed at the end - that is how everybody is really related. I have been thinking about it daily since I saw it. You will never forget it!
March 16, 2013
A most beautiful story, cried all the way through it.
November 1, 2012
Tearjerker alert. A nice story though.
October 21, 2012
The viewer has to watch the entire film to discover the depth of love this story tells.
Like Robert (Landau), the viewer believes Mary (Burstyn) has just met Robert. As the story unfolds, with Mike, Robert's 'boss', and Alex, Mary's worried daughter, the viewer gradually understands the broader picture and true depth of the story.
The final scenes reveal the true story and the depth of a family's love. You may have to watch it twice!
June 20, 2012
The story of a senior citizen, late-in-life romance, which takes a while to get going because so much is left unspoken. And yes there's a major twist.