• Loverboy

Loverboy Reviews

Harlequin68
Harlequin68

July 28, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]In "Loverboy," Emily(Kyra Sedgwick) has decided to be the kind of parent her parents(Kevin Bacon & Marisa Tomei) never were.(All her memories of them are unpleasant and border on caricature.) Her first step is to give birth to her baby on her own with the help of a vast selection of sperm donors. When that does not work, she succeeds after a one night stand in Chicago. After the baby is born, she buys a house in Yonkers with cash.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Directed by Kevin Bacon, "Loverboy" is an insipid movie about motherhood that takes the conservative stance that all independently single mothers are kooks.(Admittedly, Kyra Sedgwick does have a way with playing neurotics, as demonstrated in "The Closer," especially when pastry is involved.) The movie naively believes that love is needed in making a baby when all is required is one unhappy accident. And there is nothing wrong with home schooling a child, even if some parents do it for religious reasons. Anyway, I think all parents, single or married, are selfish to one degree or another.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]And hey is that Sandra Bullock?[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Note: Kyra Sedgwick, Campbell Scott and Matt Dillon were also in "Singles."[/font]
Andrew F

July 20, 2008
A surprisingly well-made drama with a stunning ending.
Robert F

January 9, 2008
On the one hand, I hate Emily for being so selfish (a characteristic possibly passed down by her parents). On the other hand, the way she was portrayed by K. Sedg makes me feel that I'm being too judgemental. One question I have is how did the Emily of the 70s (the Life On Mars singing Emily) turn into the nutbag Emily of present day? She seemed so normal as a child. Sandra Bullock gave an incredible depth to her character who made only cameo appearances. For the funniest performance given a background extra EVER, skip to the part where Paul/Loverboy meets the school children for the first time (watch the boy third from the left). Hilarious.
iLeo
iLeo

December 26, 2007
Great movie!
Sarah P

August 19, 2007
Horrifying tale of sickness and obsessive love of a mother for her child.
April 3, 2012
Loverboy sees Kevin Bacon in the directors seat as wife Kyra Sedgwick portrays the overly obsessive mother determined to be the only person in her sons life. Loverboy is rather uncomfortable and other than some fine performances from Sedgwick and the young Dominic Scott Kay Loverboy really offers nothing for viewers other than a creepy awkward script that just is too insane to enjoy.
consumerman
June 11, 2011
Weird. I like weird. Dominic Scott Kay as Loverboy/Paul was excellent. Kyra Sedgwick was very good. Her character could've been seen as horrific, the way she smothered her son. How was Kyra's husband, Director Kevin Bacon, able to film his wife's sexy and nude scenes? Sandra Bullock as Mrs. Harker was lovely. Marisa Tomei, sexy, and beautiful. And, lastly, any girl that could sing David Bowie's, "Is There Life On Mars", acapella, is amazing. Good job, Sosie Bacon. Dream, take chances, overcome fears.
muserider
February 12, 2011
Oh, this movie could have been so much better. It's a great story line, and a sharp ending.. but something about Emily (Sedwigs character) just didn't do it completely. It wasn't the concept, but more in the script and how she portrayed it. There was a lot missing as to why she was the way she was. Also, strangely- this movie so reminded me of an ex boyfriend and his 6 year old son. CREEPY I felt so bad for his kid.
December 26, 2007
I'm thinking about writing a book for young adults called "If You Give an Actor a Script and Camera...He'll Beg His Actor Friends and Wife to Do Him a Favor and Create a Pointless, Indulgent Mess." Do you think I've got a shot at literary success? I swear it would take less time to read than "Loverboy" takes to watch! Promise! You have my word! And I'm a man of his word! Spare yourself the pain of watching Scott, Tomei and Bacon piss away their talents!
ristrawn
March 25, 2009
good & real about some mothers' smothering care... sometimes Moms need to release kids for their growth & development...
cappieforpresident
June 25, 2009
I so badly wanted to strangle that woman throughout the whole movie! Gosh, so much hate I can show just because of a movie. At least at the end the poor boy didn't have to live with that horrible woman. This movie gets stars only because I got so dedicated to it... nothing else!
August 11, 2008
This was kind of disturbing, seeing how a mother can be so possessive over her child. This was definitely different and well played.
Amerah00
April 25, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised with this, I really got into this one allot. I've never seen Kyra Sedgwick play such a peculiar and diverse character.
Sad, interesting, strange..
StaisilD
October 2, 2007
This is a complex and nuanced story about a single mother's obsessive love for her only child. The story explores the psychology of this obsession and the sometimes sublime, sometimes tragic effects it has on the lives of both mother and son. The acting is superb and the characters portrayed are funny, endearing, and multifaceted. Marissa Tomei and Kevin Bacon are hilarious as the 70's era, sexed up, deliriously in love and sadly neglectful parents. Kyra Sedgwick is brilliant as she confidently captures the complex subtleties of her character, making it easy for the audience to empathize with what would otherwise be, and at times is a difficult and disturbing obsessiveness. movie moves and looks like a dream, and like a dream, it has an explosive, cathartic ending that you have to wake up from. It's never tacky, nor judgemental, nor is it complacent. It's a story of love and how far it can go.
ShaliniShaker
July 29, 2007
I loved this movie. It showed a creepy dark side to loving your children too much. Never liked Kyra Sedwick but she did an amazing job in this movie.
May 10, 2007
This was so good. And I still to this day (if you read my blogs) am trying to do the sheep whispering thing. I can't get close enough to one. I think they must have had REALLY tame sheep for this movie. I want my wish to come true. I loved this movie.
billrosser
March 31, 2007
Kyra Sedgwick is great in this movie as a mentality unstable mother who creates a fanatsy world for her son and consumes him.
highonlullabies
November 20, 2006
It's an interesting plot, but there's not much to the story. It plays like a movie that would be regulalry shown on Lifetime tv network.
kscampone
November 1, 2006
Melodrama wherein Sedgwick's deranged mind truncates her son's freedom and individuality. It would be tragic, if it wasn't so forced.
daniel9x
November 1, 2006
This movie sucked, although Sedgwick crafted the creepy mother character quite well. Perhaps too well. I was in pain the entire time.