Luis Bunuel's Robinson Crusoe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Luis Bunuel's Robinson Crusoe Reviews

May 1, 2015
The best known version of the guy on a desert island trope (why don't they ever do a woman on a desert island ... or was that "Gravity"? Nevermind.) It's from the 1950's so be prepared for some racism casually thrown about, but not enough to make you sic yer pitbull on the TV set. Based on a real story, natch.
November 21, 2007
La inmortal historia de Daniel Defoe tiene aquí su tratamiento surrealista en esta cinta norteamericana dirigida por el gran director Luis Buñuel. Aunque la cinta se apega al libro, se debe poner especial atención a la secuencia onírica del famoso náufrago y a varios elementos característicos de la poética de Don Luis, regados por ahí y que condimentan la historia.
May 13, 2014
With Bunuel behind the camera it was always going to be a visual adventure. It was quite true to the book and a great study on mans will to survive.
½ April 10, 2013
As conventional storytelling it's pretty standard, but as a Bunuel picture it's got plenty of subversion in store--Bunuel's rare optimism!!
½ March 18, 2013
Buñuel's least Buñuel film, but still entertaining.
½ March 5, 2013
Fine telling of the classic novel, colourful and respecting the tale.
November 8, 2012
Thursday, November 8, 2012

(1953) Robinson Crusoe

Dan O'Herlihy as the title character Robinson Crusoe keeping a log /journel and as a narrator after being shipwrecked onto an unhabited island, aside from his dog and cat appearing to be the only survivors left, he makes the most of what he has with the help of whatever provisions he can muster. Directed by well renown surrealist artist Luis Buñuel which is more involving than say "Cast Away".

3 out of 4
½ September 19, 2012
For many people saying that Bunuel doesn't have much of his style in Robinson Crusoe, I was surprised by how much I saw. Of course the obvious surreal scenes are there with him dreaming about his father being with him and complaining about him leaving in the first place. Then he has a dream another night, which I forget now what it was about. There's also calling out the bourgeoisie to become human beings who can be worthwhile. The echo in the end of the dog which signifies his journey and everything he's gone through. His style's found in this film more than people give it credit for. I really loved that we spend an entire half of this film with just the character Robinson Crusoe stranded on the island, trying to figure out how to live. Only until the halfway point are we introduced to Friday, his companion throughout the rest of the film whom he eventually learns to trust. Even though not much really happens, I was interested the whole time. Robinson Crusoe crash lands on an island, tries to figure out what to eat and drink, makes his way back to the boat to pick up his supplies, spends time with his cat and dog, plants wheat, gets sick, reads the bible and finds himself a more spiritual man, etc. I don't believe there was a single moment talking about love or anything. Some woman doesn't pull him through the story, which is why this wouldn't be able to be made today on a big budget. This seems to be a typically overlooked film by Bunuel, but that should not be the case.
July 10, 2012
"Just little old me, Dan O' Herlihy."
½ May 21, 2012
Bunuel's commercial resurrection in Mexico continued in earnest with his adaptation of Defoe's Robinson Crusoe which is an enjoyable, largely straightforward, adventure yarn. There are a few trademark Bunuelian scenes, for example, insects and dreams both make an appearance; but society is left largely unscathed by his usual critiques save for some bitter comments about money and O'Herlihy's occasional worry about keeping up appearances. Instead, this is a reflection on the human need for companionship, if not society, and the way that isolation could turn you into one wild-eyed freaky dude in a wacky fur hat.
½ March 2, 2012
Apparently Anscochrome film was kinda like Qest plumbing.
½ February 22, 2012
I learned to master everything on the island except myself.

Robinson Crusoe finds himself stranded on an island with limited resources. He makes the best of his situation and is ultra resourceful in terms of making shelter and finding ways to have enough supplies to survive. He also encounters cannibals and other threats on his small island. Will Crusoe live out his days on the island eventually going crazy due to being alone for so long or will he eventually be rescued?

"He will not forgive you. You will die like a dog."

Luis Brunuel, director of The River and Death, The Phantom of Liberty, The Milky Way, Diary of a Chambermaid, and Death in the Garden, delivers The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. The storyline for this picture is interesting, specifically the interactions between Crusoe and the island natives. The setting and action scenes were better than average and the cast delivers solid performances. The cast includes Dan O'Herlihy, Jaime Fernandez, Felipe de Alba, and Jose Chavez.

"I have become a passable good shot."

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe was a movie my wife came across while flicking through the channels. She DVR'd it because we love these old school classics. I will say this movie was very interesting and fun to watch the story unfold; however, there were few unique elements that made this feel like more than a Disney made for TV movie. I do recommend seeing this if you are a fan of old school pirate/action pictures from this period.

"She was gone."

Grade: B-
½ February 21, 2012
Such poor cinematography and lighting! Looks like a high school project. Simple script. Where is the art? Fernandez (Friday) is the better actor.
December 13, 2011
Very mainstream film by surrealist Luis Bunuel standards, but still includes many of his common criticisms of wealth, class and religion. A very entertaining, engrossing and well made movie.
½ October 21, 2011
An atypical Buñuel that shows how the director was wrong for this kind of material. Despite the lushy colour photography, it has too little swashbuckling and excitment to keep fans of the adventure genre entertained and not enough of the Buñuel trademarks to keep his admirers scratching their heads. One can see the director's subversiviness creeping in beneath the surfice, but it must be questioned if the social commentary of bourgeois master and submissive slave (which contribute to a not all that likeable protagonist) is due more to the dated content of the novel or Buñuel's own beliefs.
½ December 30, 2010
I guess Buñuel wanted to show that he could also make a normal movie, no surreal stuff here apart from one dream sequence. Being an admirer of Buñuel admirer I was largely disappointed by this. It's probably still the best film about Rubinson Crusoe that one can see, it follows the book exactly. But overall a very mediocre movie and not one I want to see again.
½ May 10, 2010
Its probably because I've been watching TV's Lost that I picked up this oldie. I saw this movie once upon a time, and as I watched it again I finally came to the part that I remembered. Up to that moment I was thinking that I must've mistaken this movie for another.

Its a fairly accurate adaptation of Dafoe's story. I don't see how anyone could live alone for 20+ years without going a little nuts, and they do spend some time with Crusoe wrestling with his own sanity. Once he rescues Friday all the old stereotypes poke their ugly heads out of the sand, whereas before you could forget that Crusoe is a castaway slave trader. It does make the interesting point on how common cannibalism was not so long ago in the Pacific.

The DVD was from a restored version of the film, and while they've certainly cleaned it up, the picture is soft and the colors are undersaturated. The audio wasn't fixed well if at all and has a lot of blips, beeps and is a bit shrill. For a foreign produced film using a cheap film variant it I suppose its better than it being lost. The DVD gets a 7/10 for existing.
½ May 10, 2010
[font=Century Gothic]"Robinson Crusoe" is an entertaining adaptation of the venerable classic wherein Mr. Crusoe(Daniel O'Herlihy), the third son of an affluent family, goes to sea to find his fortune in 1659, only to be shipwrecked on a deserted island. After a rough start, he makes the best of it by salvaging what he can of the ship's stores and creating a new life for himself ashore.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]What distiniguishes this version is that it is directed by Luis Bunuel during his exile in Mexico. Curiously, it does not reflect Bunuel's attitudes towards religion, instead suggesting that Crusoe's being cast away is divine punishment for his serving aboard a slave ship, followed by his taking to the bible. Also, Crusoe's relationship with Friday(Jaime Fernandez) will always be at least a little problematic, as it could be read either in favor of imperialism or very much against it.[/font]
½ May 10, 2010
7.5/10. Very interesting early Bunuel film, and it is not typical of his style. Amazingly, Daniel O'Herlihy was nominated for an Oscar, not that he was bad, on the contrary, but this is an obscure Mexican independent film, and Oscar in the 50's rarely noticed these films.

Beautiful filming of the classic story, likely the best version of the novel. (Surprisingly, Robinson Crusoe on Mars is a close second). O'Herlihy is magnificent. Simply excellent in all respects. A must see.