—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

MacGruber Reviews

Anthony L

April 25, 2013
MacGruber isn't very funny but it does have a couple of laugh out loud moments. It's good that it doesn't milk these laugh out loud moments by repeating them but unfortunately it does with all the crap jokes. It's been done before and it has been done better (never brilliantly, but better). I think with tinkering it could have worked well but there were some big egos involved. It should have veered away from the smutty and crass stuff too and just concentrated on the action spoof idea.
Daniel P

November 5, 2010
It's one joke, stretched over 90 minutes... I don't know that anyone expected this to be good, or really, what the purpose of writing a review about it would be. What you see is what you get: a series of decent gags, the occasional one hilarious, strung together lazily with something resembling a plot, in which MacGruber has to overcome his baggage and his incompetence in order to take down the villain, Dieter Cunth - great name - played by Val Kilmer, who is still alive, I guess... and to his credit, can still act decently. Kristen Wiig is always funny, and Ryan Phillippe is quite good as the straight man, too, but as most would anticipate, there's not much here. A forgettable indulgence.
Joshua W

June 29, 2012
I only own a film if I can watch it again and again and again and still enjoy it. Which I can do with this film. It's stupid and I think it's basicaly all the jokes Forte and Taccone couldn't get into SNL. But damnit it's funny. This was the first sign that Wiig was going to be the comdey Queen, even in movies.
movieguru12
movieguru12

April 24, 2010
Such a great transformation of MacGruber from SNL to the big screen. Highly recommended for fans of the MacGruber segments on SNL. Forte & Wiig together in this movie have natural chemistry and are a class act. Maya Rudolph's character, even though not in the movie a lot, is great & who could forget Ryan Phillippe's, Piper or Val Kilmer's, Dieter Von Cunth. Memorable characters and lines come together to make this movie the perfect movie for any season.
Cynthia S

September 7, 2010
STUPID! MOVIE!!
Emily A

April 2, 2011
I don't even know what to say. What the hell did I just watch? MacGruber is so friggin' stupid, but it made me laugh with genuine amusement. MacGruber the character is an infantile and flippantly callous manchild who wouldn't win on Jeopardy if he were playing against Homer Simpson and Patrick Star. I think the only reason that he's treated by his US Government (no particular agency that I can discern) superiors as "the best" is because he flawlessly embodies the 80s action movie hero. This perfect manifestation of the trope is unrelated to any sort of demonstrable talent or aptitude, but entirely about his powers of hubris and one-liners. Why he is left in charge of the situation is beyond me. He proves time and time again his utter disastrous incompetance. I really like Val Kilmer and Ryan Phillippe in this, and thier characters were my favorites in this film. As it turns out, Phillippe is a great straight man. This movie has some howlingly bad moments that are painful to watch, but it's hard to fault it for them, since they're balanced by sublimely funny moments in equal number. This movie isn't merely "meh"; it transcends that. It veers violently between awful and hilarious, thus creating a very confusing milieu. Hence the half-marks I gave it.
Matt G

February 13, 2011
Yea, it's incredibly stupid. It has a bad beginning, but this movie is freaking hilarious! Being a fan of the Saturday Night Live MacGruber skits, I sort of new what to expect. And this movie left me completely satisfied. Of course it's flawed, but if had me laughing all the way through. The action is also really good! Surprising and awesome film!

(MACGRUBER) "Making life saving inventions outta houshold materials."

Grade: B-
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

May 28, 2010
three stars
boxman
boxman

February 12, 2011
Far far worse than I was expecting, this is what happens when you expand a 30-second Saturday Night Live sketch to a full-blown movie. MacGruber, a one-joke parody of MacGyver, becomes a one-joke movie. It's about an inept special agent who has to save the world from a criminal madman (Val Kilmer, why?). The flimsy plot would be acceptable if the movie had any sort of comedic momentum, but the jokes are sloppy and uninspired, often confusing naughtiness with humor. Just because something is brash or raunchy or shocking doesn't necessarily mean it's funny. Will Forte, as the title agent, tries too hard with material that doesn't work hard enough. Villains with naughty sounding names? Sight gags a plenty? This movie makes the Austin Powers franchise look cutting edge. There isn't enough focus for this to work as parody. MacGruber feels like what a bunch of 12-year-old boys would throw together if left unattended for a weekend with their parent's credit card. The sketch was never meant to last over a minute by design, so you can expect what 87 more dreary minutes would produce.

Nate's Grade: D
Beefy
Beefy

May 19, 2010
Sometimes it's okay to be lowbrow. Maybe I was just in the right mood, but this had me giggling consistently, with several outright guffaws. Included one of the funniest sex scenes I've ever seen.
Everett J

January 20, 2011
Half was funny,the other half was really dumb. Ok for 1 watch if ur in the mood for a raunchy action/comedy
Michael S

April 24, 2010
Flawed, flawed, flawed... but I really liked the films uniquely serious tone and dead-pan humor. A handfull of laugh out loud moments and suprisingly cool action sequences make for a mild recommendation.
Al S

May 17, 2010
An endearingly dumb but unfortunately fun comedy with loads of crude jokes, silly antics and over the top action sequences. These type of comedies are hit and miss, if your willing to shut your brain off and enjoy a silly film like this, then do it. If not, then please turn it off becasue your gonna punch whoever directed it
Summer W

May 3, 2010
meh.
Lanning :

October 15, 2010
This one is worth watching, despite Will Forte. Without him, this might have been four stars. Thank goodness for the other actors.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 8, 2010
Cast: Will Forte, Kristen Wiig, Ryan Phillippe, Val Kilmer, Maya Rudolph, Powers Boothe, Dalip Singh, Rhys Coiro, Chris Jericho, Andy Mackenzie

Director: Jorma Taccone

Summary: Will Forte is incompetent former special ops agent MacGruber. When he's called back into action to deactivate archenemy Dieter Von Cunth (Val Kilmer), MacGruber is on the case. Now, he must thwart Von Cunth's plans to destroy Washington, D.C., with a nuclear warhead.

My Thoughts: "I was hoping to watch a great comedy, instead I got a dud. It wasn't funny at all. Had a couple moments, but that's it in the entirety of the film. It was a waste of my time and a huge disappointment. The film had a lot of hype, but it didn't live up to it. I was annoyed more then entertained. I knew it was going to be stupid, but I was hoping for stupid funny, but just got stupid. I mean spewing a bunch of F bombs doesn't help make the statement funny. Not worth the rental, take a pass.. Or maybe this is your type of comedy.."
Stuart B

October 9, 2010
One of the funniest films of the year. Harks back to the good old parodies such as Airplane and The Big Bus
Lewis C

March 13, 2010
"Time to go pound some Cunth."

I'm completely unfamiliar with the MacGruber character, as I've never seen the Saturday Night Live skit that his character originated from. What I am familiar with, however, is unabashedly dumb comedies, and that describes MacGruber pretty well.

If you've seen any of the other SNL movies, then you have a pretty good idea of what to expect from this one. Some of the jokes work, some of the jokes work the first time only, and some fall flat on their face right out of the gate. On the positive side, there were quite a few times that I found myself laughing loudly at some of the absolute ridiculous stuff the R rating allowed them to put on the screen. (Celery? Really?) That kind of humor won't appeal to everyone, but what kind does?

Kristen Wiig was great (I'll happily admit that I love that woman), Will Forte was funny in spots, Val Kilmer was a bit of a failure as his character (I bet Heat feels like a loooong time ago), and Ryan Phillippe just seemed shocked that this is what his career has come to (Celery? Really?).

In short, this is a hit and miss comedy. It was slightly more hit than miss for me, hence the slightly positive rating. If the average episode of Saturday Night Live is entertaining to you, MacGruber might be, too.
DerekA101
DerekA101

October 2, 2010
I think these kind of films are typically stupid. But I have to admit, MacGruber is that rare success story. It's cheesy and lame, but it's absolutely hilarious. So many awkward situations that cracked me up. I was laughing the entire time. The biggest surprise here was Kristen Wiig, she was hysterical. Yes, it's kinda stupid, but give it a shot... I promise you'll laugh your ass off.
Tim S

October 1, 2010
I am a sucker for comedies that make fun of action films and this one has it's moments of gloriously over the top hilarity. Will Forte is amazing, but there are times and certain jokes that aren't funny no matter how long you push them onto the audience. Val Kilmer has a couple of really great moments as well as the villan of the piece and I enjoyed how the filmmakers worked just as hard on making the action set pieces look good as they did spending time on the comedy. I laughed more times than not, so I have to recommend it, at the very least as an fan of 80's action movie awfulness.