Mac & Devin Go To High School Reviews

March 26, 2013
Mac & Devin go to High School isn't what I'd call a good movie, or really even a movie to be honest. It's extremely short, clocking in at about 70 minutes and it doesn't really try all that hard. I didn't expect to watch something good though; I expected to see exactly what I did. It's a weed movie, and from the offset, a small talking joint tells you this. He also says if you don't have weed to turn the movie off because weed is needed. The joint don't lie either.

Mac is a fifteenth year senior and drug dealer. Devin is a valedictorian who is trying to balance his school with his girl friend. When Mac and Devin get paired up for a science fair, Mac introduces Devin to marijuana and it changes Devin's whole outlook on life.

There's a few good jokes, but I enjoyed the experience because I really like Wiz Khalifa and Snoop Dogg and the cd that this movie was basically made to help market. I don't see there being a huge audience for a movie like this, but fans of the two rappers will get a kick out of it. It's nothing special, but it's worth a look if you think it looks at all entertaining.
February 10, 2013
lol i was told to not watch this sober...and that i did not...but even under the influence of alcohol the movie still was funny, but it sucked xD
½ January 11, 2015
This movie is the worst movie i have ever seen. Smoke from Hips? Are u serious? I am giving this movie 2 stars because of the soundtrack of this movie. The whole movie is on smoking. Smoking, smoking, smoking and only Smoking. I never liked smoking. Snopp Dogg and Wiz Khalifa u both are good Artist but why this movie? I Wasn't expecting this from Wiz Khalifa and Snopp Dogg. Another bad point is A ghost of smoke. Come on man! The Worst Movie ever. I suggest the director and producer to stop making movies and enjoy the other movies. There are bad movies but this movie is the worst movie ever. the sound track is good. instead of this movie "8 Miles" is very good movie. Get rich or die trying is also good. this is my first review on this website. This movie is totally waste of time, energy, electricity.
January 3, 2015
First of all, I watched this without any use of paraphernalia of any kind, so it might have affected how my review turned out compared to the others.

With that out of the way, compared to my expectations, of which I almost had none, the plot was actually decent. Nothing to write home about, but still good overall. Considering this is a "stoner film", and acting is not a primary emphasis as a result, the characters were actually very believable and relatable. The film score, or soundtrack as I would more accurately describe it, was catchy and fit the pace of the film very well. Staging was also handled exceptionally.

My one major complaint is that this character, an animated talking blunt, was present far too often, sometimes at unnecessary moments. Those who were using while watching this film would already get what he'd say, and those who weren't would find him bothersome.

Overall, the film itself is nothing special as a standalone, but compared to other stoner films, it is impressive.
December 22, 2014
Mac and Dev was great; anyone who talked down about it probably took it too seriously. All I can say is that the film had a lot of positive messages if you knew where to look for them and if you didn't like it then it wasn't made for you. Every young minority man has to deal with the inner conflict of mac vs dre, and feelings like if you want to succeed, you have to be something you're not and foreswear the right to enjoy the present. This movie was positive to me because it sent a message that you can find that balance in spite of so many young people thinking you have to choose one or the other. So that's one man's perspective.
February 16, 2014
This movie is easily one of the most pointless, mind-numbing and profit-hungry endeavors in the history of filmmaking. Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa stars in this film directed by Dylan C. Brown which I had heard absolutely nothing about until i watched it with a group of friends. It turned out to have a very thin and boring plot and to be filled with promotions and marketing for a Snoop and Wiz album. The story is about two high-school students, one honor student, Devin, played by Wiz Khalifa and one rotten apple, Mac, played by Snoop Dogg, who becomes unlikely friends and the honor student comes to the realization that he can learn more from the rotten apple than he thought.

There are so many problems with this film that it's hard to even know where to start. The fact that it's only 75 minutes long, but cuts away from the story on several occasions for music sequences or scenes where a talking blunt preaches facts and statistics about cannabis, should tell you the small amount of actual story or character development the film contains. The few moments of story and character development that the film have are all so predictable to anyone who have seen a few high school films that watching this becomes redundant. Taking an obvious pro-cannabis stance, but still depicting the heaviest smoker as an unmotivated slacker who's been in high-school for 15 years, is a very strange choice and makes me wonder if the creators ever gave this any thought or if they were just trying to find a convenient excuse for Snoop Dogg looking older than a High-school kid.

The acting from the majority of the cast is poor at best and sometimes even so horrible that it borders on groundbreaking. The only performance that I would categorize as decent is Snoop Dogg's, which isn't strange considering that he just uses the same speech patterns and mannerisms that he's been using in the music industry for years, whether that is an act and gimmick or Snoop Dogg's real personality I'm not sure. I don't think that "Mac and Devin Goes to High School" even qualifies as half a movie and the only reason to watch it would be to examine an exercise in complete cinematic failure. It's also the first movie that I've given 0% to so far.
October 20, 2013
One of the greatest achievements in filmmaking from our generation.
October 13, 2013
Im a avid cannabis smoker, a rap listener who listens to Snoop's and Wiz's music and I also love to watch movies. If added all these elements together you would figure I would LOVE this movie. But this movie was terrible, Wiz was clearly a novice when it comes to acting; he over did his character in my view. The plot was awful I know it was suppose to make as little sense possible, but they could've tried harder. I didnt even find the jokes that funny, it had its moments but hit or miss; mostly miss. Watched it twice(Sober & the influence) still didnt do nothing for me.
May 10, 2013
Mac and Devin is the most well thought out and funniest movie i have personally seen.
This movie had the perfect mix of drama and comedy while keeping the theme of just living your life. this movie has a ton of pulse pounding moments and pop culture references to keep the movie interesting. another noteworthy fact if the perfect blend of animation and reality, some would say better then who framed roger rabbit. this is a must see movie that everyone and their mothers need to see.
May 10, 2013
This movie understands the one thing most movies this day and age, seem to forget about, and that is a good, well rounded, story. The story revolves around two loveable scamps who get into mischief one day, when principal Skinfloot gets them in trouble. Then they get high, for almost an hour and a half, while a talking joint guides us through the movie.
½ February 2, 2013
Terrible, stupid, pointless, and unfunny.

Executed poorly and not even cleverly handled.

Shameless movie's purpose is to only promote Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa's own music and shoving how good weed is down our throats and is NOT a bit convincing about it. Just a bunch of wasted effort.

But the songs are at least very catchy, "Young, Wild and Free" is pretty good. But the entire film is just AWFUL and UNBEARABLE... Just one long stretched-out music video.

I've seen better stoner movies...
July 7, 2012
The blunt is annoying as fuck but theres a few funny moments because of snoop.
February 21, 2013
veeeeeery goooooood movie
January 3, 2013
Funny at times but the best part of movie is the music by snoop and wiz.
December 24, 2012
its alright, gets boring towards the end.
½ December 14, 2012
Snoop Dogg oozes more than just cannabis from his pours in 'Mac & Devin Go To High School', he also spews an uncanny odor of likability that's impossible to ignore...but by the end of the film you'll think you've just watched a really long music video with a catchy tune.
½ November 15, 2012
Though most stoner comedies are rather enjoyable and humorous, Mac and Devin don't even bring the slightest smile to my face. I could also never determine which was worse, the acting or the fact that this film was even produced.
November 7, 2012
i like snoop dogg and wiz khalifa but this movie is just dumb overall. filled with unfunny jokes, well some are funny, mike epps is funny but has hardly any dialouge. the story is cliche and wiz khalifas acting is really bad, the high school they go to is unrealistic as hell, and its not meant to be taken seriously but its still not cool. some of the weed scenes and explanations about weed were definetly amusing and help bring some life into it, but i think we all agree that slow burn is just cheesy. the movie tries to be contraversial and has really weak characters other than mac and devin. some of the dialouge will make you want to punch the tv, particullary a scene where mac is hitting on a teacher and saying some the dumbest pick up lines ive ever heard. it was more a advertisement for music then a cheech and chong competitor like snoop dogg said it would be, or its definelty isnt as funny as cheech and chong. the ending was just stupid, and when snoop dogg is in the audience nodding his head like yeah that speech was some real shit, i just shook my head. i mean the students just get up and do a well choreographed dance to devins song which i guess he wrote some time during the 3 weeks he was being wiz khalifa pretty much. the scene with devin singing made me laugh because he may as well just been talking, andy milowhatever his name is or how to spell it may piss you off a bit with his acting.
½ October 24, 2012
This was one of the worst movies ive ever seen its a shame because mike epps is awesome and so is wiz but not at acting...
September 3, 2012
the best movie ive ever seen these commentares are stupid because the acting was great