91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

—— Wilfred: Season 4
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Machinist Reviews

July 30, 2014
"The Machinist" is a dark atmospheric psychological thriller that successfully gives a deep impact psychologically, with a superb committed performance from Christian Bale.
July 26, 2014
I wasn't able to finish this movie.
July 21, 2014
he can portray this person so differently........he can play wid body languages like snakes nd ladders....he is one god damn full packaged actor
July 14, 2014
Christian Bale sure takes acting into a new level....
July 11, 2014
Had all the right ingredients to be a great film, but it never quite hit it's high notes well enough to elevate to great movie status. However, the film is still a solid 6 out of 10.
July 7, 2014
Dark psychological thriller full of suspance and with a really great plot. Christian Bale is really astonishing.
July 28, 2009
I found Christian Bale's physical and acting performance to be extremely well done for a man caught up by fear, insomnia, and paranoia. Certainly one of his best performances. Bit too slow for my taste, but the payoff is very well played out.
July 1, 2014
Not the best film but Bale's portrayal is harrowing
May 25, 2012
What is best about "The Machinist" is not its delightful recall of Kafka and Dostoevsky or even Christian Bale's absolutely astounding and dedicated performance as insomniac Trevor Reznik, but the way director Anderson and screenwriter Scott Kosar manage to capture the way in which the deranged mind perceives the world. Insanity has rarely been captured so thrillingly yet so sympathetically. The world of Trevor Reznik is one of delirium but also one of a certain ethical structure, making this movie not only one which shows the severe effects of sleeplessness but also the strangling effect of a man in a state of severe pain and regret.
February 22, 2012
An atmospheric psychological drama with a so-so plot elevated by Bale's brooding performance.
June 20, 2007
a somewhat cliched and predictable thriller supported by bale's intense acting
Alinafe M.
June 2, 2014
For years I have linked Christian Bale to Batman and solely to Batman, but this performance changed that. Not only was he dedicated to his role as Trevor Reznik, he became Trevor Reznik. It seemed that he delved into the recesses of his mind and transformed himself into a being so plagued by guilt that he forgot himself. The Machinist is eerie yet fulfilling and one cannot help but feel the traces of the story's moral. After watching The Machinist I briefly considered freeing the skeletons in my closet, but perhaps I had better leave that to Reznik.
August 16, 2012
When I first heard about this movie I was amazed by Christian Bale's commitment to the role, this was two years ago, yes another movie I held off for a couple of years for no good reason, I guess it's just one of those things that happen in life. When it started though I thought the film would glamorise the fact that Bale performed some serious method work for the film and keep reminding us how amazing he is by making him not have a shirt on for quite a long time but quite soon I forgot about this and the movie moved on. It definitely helped the mood of the movie to have Bale be so thin, can't have been good for him, I'm sure he was quite ill at some point but it helps the believability and if you think that's worth it is up to you. Like I said it helped the believability but even if he didn't half kill himself the story is more than enough to keep someone interested, it's so smart, layered and actually makes sense and doesn't come off as some pretentious mess. Throughout watching the movie it just keeps asking more and more questions and gets more and more confusing and I just kept thinking to myself this better had be leading up to something and something actually good and I was not disappointed but I can't help but feel Bale is the reason anyone knows about this, he's the only actor in the movie to have any kind of status behind him, although everyone does do a good job, and it's quite a lot of the reason why people know about this movie, hell it's the reason I knew about it. Which is good and bad, it's good because it brings notoriety to a smaller film but then is the only reason anyone knows about it. Can't help but feel if there was a smaller star in the role, a) it wouldn't work so well and b) no one would know about this. Besides all that, the movie is excellently filmed and the colors really help set the tone, everything is clear and beautiful to look at. Also, some of the music sounds like it belongs in a Charlie Chaplin film, it's so strange and sounds out of place at first but then it all fits into place. Only negative I have is that it is questionable how some scenes end, doesn't really affect a lot of them but for example there's a scene where Trevor has to get out of a place he is in and has to choose a path, he picks one and then just fades to how he gets out... Oh... Thanks movie? No explanation or visual aid to show us what he had to do? Okay then, thank you. Sometimes the way the scene would end I thought it might have been a dream or something. I'd have also liked a bit more ambiguity to the whole theme of the movie as opposed to being told what happens, but at least there is a concrete solution to it all like I said so I can't really dislike it. All in all, it's a great movie that unfolds very naturally and fluidly after asking so many questions for so long.
May 31, 2014
As usual, Christian Bale delivers a captivating performance. This movie is an unconventional mystery of sorts. The ending perfectly explains the machinist's predicament, but the journey to the end is also engrossing.
May 16, 2014
It kept me hooked and of course, Bale was fantastic. Pretty good stuff.
May 11, 2014
Having finally watched this, I have to say I thought it was very good. Sometimes creepy, especially with the music. But it was also pretty funny at times. When I bought the DVD, the guy at the counter said I ought to watch it a few times before really forming an opinion of it, and I guess he was right. But nevertheless, I still thought it was very good and I understood it pretty well.
January 25, 2013
One of the best psychological thrillers of the decade..
DavidUbonkulous
July 31, 2013
While the film is entertaining and the performances are extraordinary , it does feel redundant and predictable. We have seen this movie before, and we have seen it done better.
Cinema-Maniac
Cinema-Maniac

April 24, 2014
Insomnia is an all too common writing device that lends itself in creating a story where the lead character reality conflicts with the actuality of the world. Much like Aspergers, Insomnia is highly favored in its usage to add flair to a story that in a direct narrative wouldn't have worked. "The Machinist" is such a case by removing a linear narrative and eliminating conventional characteristic is an psychological thriller that delivers one stimulating and thought provoking experience.

The Machinist is about an industrial worker who hasn't slept in a year doubting his own sanity. Its protagonist, Trevor Reznik, starts off as a sympathetic blank page. Merely creating an image of man who from the setup is seen doing something bad, but upon viewing him live appears to be an innocent man suffering without a crime committed. Reinforcing a positive image on Reznik personality and questionable one about his lifestyle. Once Reznik is setup as a character the next step is to fill in the blank to how he got to where he ended up. Steadily through the course of the movie more about Reznik is revealed entirely through his dialogue. While visuals do play a factor in understanding Reznik psyche, it's not on the same level as the spoken words. Revealing Reznik entire life story indirectly to the audience with Reznik interactions. Reznik is by definition and description is average, but his action in delicate situations suggest otherwise. Until the revelation near the end Reznik maps other suffering onto himself. Turning exterior conflicts into internal ones when Reznik is uncovering himself through the worst possible action. Aside from Reznik, another plot device is a hangman game on a post-it note. The word only has six letters and the last two letters are filled out. If this plot device was to be removed it would have taken away from the writing. It understands that the journey it more pivotal than it's predictable destination. Because of it, the word can be guessed correctly or make a guess that comes close to it, but doesn't detract from its story. Instead it adds a dimension that's worth examining. Alongside his trouble psyche, poor physical conditions, and now his inability to defeat guilt are all traits that follow him. Weaving an intelligent, psychological thriller that is both hard to read in development and engaging in its complicated protagonist.

Director Brad Anderson creates an uneasy atmosphere at a steady pace. A bleak, nearly colorless look, sadness and dread combined to portray the world through Reznik eyes. The atmosphere is aided by Roque Banos' moody score, but it is especially conveyed by the tasty cinematography, which is extremely desaturated--almost approaching black and white at times. It suggests an appropriate desolation. This is also reflected in the locations and set designs. Everything relating to Trevor current matter in his apartment, the machine shop, or in his car is in muted, blue-gray tones. As if fabricated by some unknown nature that has a score to settle with Reznik. Playing with his head that those around are after him. In contrast to the brightly lit scenes that highlight a real world quality to them. Not removing itself from tragedy, Reznik in brightly lit scenes feels naturalistic. Never does he feel anything in particular is dead set against him in the bad turn of events finding some truth to them.

Christian Bale is skeletal as Trevor and visually captivating in embodying all his flaws. Christian Bale more than visually matches his part, but acts it with the same level of dedication. His physical appearance becomes a part of the character not so much the sole characteristic of the character or Bale performance. Physically we see Bale for the broken and hollow man he is, but also adds a trait of humor when joking about his skinny body. Bale portrays he can fit into society, and shows various traits of an unstable mind with his obsession that turns into rage. Becoming another broken person and not just a walking skeleton. The rest of the cast is overshadowed by Christian Bale terrific performance. They do a solid job even if they don't leave a big impression. John Sharian plays pretty much a "Devil" type character with his sinister smile and deep voice. To say there's nothing subtle about his performance is understatement, but rather fits the role just fine. He's energetic always hinting at something sinister with his line delivery. Jennifer Jason Leigh much like her other co-stars is given a single personality just like Aitana Sanchez Gijon. Aitana Sanchez is more cheering and Jason Leigh is broody. Their characters receive minimal amount of development, but can't do anything beyond the exterior of the characters.

The Machinist is a steadily paced psychological thriller driven by one character and actor. Christian Bale becomes Trevor Reznik disappearing into the role matching it perfectly both physically and in his portrayal. Bale performance alone would warrant "The Machinist" is worth viewing, but add an intelligent story and with a physiologically broken lead you have a film that demands your attention.