63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The MacKintosh Man Reviews

August 28, 2014
Watchable Cold War spy thriller starring Paul Newman
February 10, 2014
This could of been better, but it probably looked better back in the 70's than it does now.
September 22, 2013
Super SEXY Jenny Runacre...Best Legs on Earth!
August 25, 2013
John Huston nos presenta una estilizada cinta de suspenso con varios giros de tuerca y con un solido Paul Newman y un perverso James Mason. Los fanaticos de "Get Carter" se sorprenderan con esta joya injustamente destrozada por la critica en su momento. Todo un clasico del genero del espionaje.
June 8, 2013
An agent is hired to capture a spy who is also an influential and powerful member of the British parliament. An uninspired Huston signs this weak spy thriller with a plot that tangles all too often. A nice car chase breaks up the dullness.
March 9, 2013
The MacKintosh Man (1973) -- [4.5] -- Paul Newman stars as a British agent posing as a jewel thief who gets embroiled with Russian spies, goes to prison, gets broken out of prison, and lands in the hands of a secretive organization that drugs and kidnaps him until he can pay for the breakout. A lot more happens after that, but for all the plot twists and turns, John Huston's film has surprisingly little to do with character and emotion. Newman's character is dull as dishwater and James Mason's shady politician character is too thinly drawn. The movie is at its most interesting once we're locked away with Newman at the mysterious Scarperers hideout in Ireland, where Michael Hordern and Jenny Runacre play dastardly baddies with juicy nonchalance. You can always count on Huston for great on-location shooting, with Malta setting the stage for the act three climax here. All in all, "The MacKintosh Man" is sort of a James Bond wannabe, but without the personality or charm.
Harsh4U
December 11, 2012
John Huston, Walter Hill, and Paul Newman go to Great Britain
June 4, 2012
no info = no interest
Sean G

June 14, 2011
Paul Newman's attempt to do a James Bond movie?
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

May 6, 2011
A "British" intelligence agent sniffs out corruption undercover.
John Huston's thriller is slow moving and almost blithe in its action, acting, and direction. it is almost as though all involved - audience and filmmakers - know what is going to happen, so there is little commitment in the execution. What is more, Paul Newman's "British" accent is so inconsistent that it sounds dubbed in some parts and like Paul Newman in others. There's no real plot-based need for him to be British, but like I said, it doesn't seem like much thought was put in to the story and acting.
Overall, this isn't a terrible film, but it certainly doesn't radically engage.
T.S.M.
February 22, 2011
A real dud. I don't know what the hell Paul Newman is doing with his accent here - how the character manages to convince anyone with it is beyond me. There are 2 good sequences - a car chase through rugged little Irish roads, and an escape sequence where Newman knees a woman in the groin and pistol-whips Michael Horden. It's quite absurd, naturally. The later part of that escape sequence is very [i]No Country for Old Men[/i], except instead of shooting the dog, Newman... drowns it. Classy! Otherwise this is a particularly stupid and languid film, not helped by the fact that its tagline gives away a third-act plot development, no less.
jjnxn
jjnxn

July 15, 2009
Considering the talent involved a real disappointment.
billfenner1967
April 3, 2009
I don't understand why this film is disliked by so many. I found it quite suspenseful and interesting. It certainly falls away somewhat in the last act, but overall the unglamorous and gritty nature of the film is fascinating.

There's a particularly good scene that, I suppose, the Coen brothers must have seen and liked because they remade it for "No Country For Old Men". I'm referring to a scene in which Newman is being chased by a vicious dog over land. He eventually crosses a creek and then grabs a pistol by its barrel and clubs the dog and drowns it to death. The similar scene in the recent Coens' film is equally as tense.

Definitely recommend this movie for fans of spy realism -- Le Carre-- as opposed to spy fantasy -- Fleming.
Sanity Assassin !

March 7, 2009
paul newman in some spy film. i usually find films he's in bland and this was no different. unexiciting at best, mediocre at worst... and the same score over and over again for a so called soundtrack. james mason didn't even interest me here. that seldom happens
January 12, 2008
Dammit, Paul! I have enough actors that I like. Okay, you know what this movie is? I'm ruining the premise for you. It's The Departed, but light and fun and, what-the-hell?, throw a little espionage in there. That's right. It's that way earlier than either Infernal Affairs or The Departed. Also, I can now recognize James Mason when I see him and thank you, Eddie Izzard, for having such a good impression of him (as God).

The one fault of this movie is that it is really obvious halfway through. (Or I'm just crazy smart.) But the reverse of that statement is that it is really puzzling for the first half. I didn't know what the hell was going on for a little bit. I thought that the movie was fun and kind of reminded me of the newer Ocean's Eleven only with spies. John Huston does a good job keeping the action really contained. I'd put this kind of spy movie closer to Jason Bourne than James Bond, but set it in the seventies and forget that the other Bourne Identity exists. (That's right, kids...if you didn't know, The Bourne Identity is a remake!)

Now, because I'm a polite kid who cares about whether or not other people could sleep, I play the movie rather quietly. Rarely do I run into problems. Trust me, you don't need the movie blaring all the time. It's just fun when you can. But Dominique Sanda's REALLY heavy accent made her dialogue lost and I had to be slightly more rude than normal just to get her part out of the story. I'm not saying don't cast her, but I kind of am. I had the same problems with the Pirates of the Carribean sequels, so I guess I can b*tch about it in a movie that I actually enjoyed.

Yes, there are plotholes that you can drive a truck through, but those "oh sh*t" moments cover up for those. Well, with the exception of one. It seemed like the writers drove themselves into a corner and had just a really graitifying ending, but an ending that lacked substance. But I will say this. If I ever go to prison...make sure it's in Britain. Everyone seemed really nice and polite in that prison. Not at all like Oz or Prison Break.
December 1, 2007
i saw it, but do not remember it, need to see it again
August 22, 2007
There are some slow spots during this film but overall I would recommend it. Of course Newman is interesting to watch.