Mad Max - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Max Reviews

April 22, 2016
Great story, can't wait to watch the rest
April 19, 2016
Classic. One of the best action movies of all time. It is a tad cheeses but this is the 70s so we are lucky that we didn't get more cheese. Considering the insanely low budget of the film, you have to give it more credit. Keep in mind, this was made in the 70s, This movie was original and refreshing. It still stands tall today. Mel Gibson's best role. If you aren't a fan of impracticality in movies I would suggest that you only view this film and none of its spawns.
½ March 28, 2016
I never got to see the Mad Max movies when I was a kid. I saw everything else, but just skipped over these because the whole post apocalyptic desert environment seemed boring while growing up. I burned these to DVD about 6 years ago and just decided to watch them for the first time this week. I guess it's about time after all the well deserved success of Fury Road. The first one is weird because it's an seventies cop vs. biker gang action movie. Totality not what one would expect for an introduction to this series. Mel Gibson was 23 years old and still Australian. The family revenge sequence is about 20 minutes long and then it just ends. Very odd and surprising that such a successful franchise was born from this.
½ September 2, 2014
87%
While essentially watchable for Keays-Byrne as Toecutter distinctively, Mad Max is slow to start but delivers the goods for those who are patient enough to wait.

V: 74%
March 22, 2016
Mad Max benefits from Miller's stellar directing with action scenes that far outlast its dated editing style and occasional scriptural hiccups. The brilliance in the film is how well it captures a setting by entirely focusing it into its cinematography.
½ November 3, 2015
This low-budget masterpiece is bleak, heartbreaking, atmospheric, and haunting. The setting just barely removed from the world we know makes this tarmac dystopia all the more terrifying.
½ March 17, 2016
Low-budget and with a poor script, "Mad Max" nevertheless manages to end up a winner thanks to its brevity, tension and very well-directed action scenes. The theme of avenging your loved ones certainly doesn't win any originality awards but is handled here with disarming directness and simplicity. Most of the time "Mad Max" feels like it's teetering between cult b-movie and wannabe classic of a higher standard. This balance is far from steady but the ride is enjoyable, if bumpy.
March 15, 2016
If there was ever a film that was hamstrung by it's budget this is the one. If it is supposed to be dystopian it just felt like fancy cars and motorcycles in Australia. It also feels very disjointed with little narrative (though it's simple enough to understand).
March 12, 2016
I couldn't last long enough to make it to see the "fantastic road stunts", just too bad an early start to be interested enough in watching more.
March 9, 2016
Could never understand what all the fuss was about. A clumsy bore of a movie.
March 6, 2016
Why isn't there more essays/discussions on all the homoerotic undertones in this film?
½ February 20, 2016
Takes a while to get to its narrative with uneven pacing, but when it does it is surprisingly bizarre. The action scenes are a blast and nothing feels dated. I prefer it to fury road.
February 3, 2016
This film is alright, but my biggest problem with it is that not much happens for a while.
January 26, 2013
Mad Max (1979) ????
Milestone in action films quickly became the most popular movie of its country. In a desolate future, cops are corrupt, streets are littered with motorcycle gangs, but after Mel Gibson's wife and son are savagely killed, he vows revenge . . . but wait until you see the finale! Superb editing, direction by George Miller, fantastic score, eye-popping stunt work -- some of the screen's all-time best. Followed by three sequels.
½ July 30, 2014
The first Mad Max movie is kind of a cult classic. This film wasn't really very popular when it came out but over time more and more people have seen this film. To be honest the first Mad Max is heavily flawed and to be honest not really that good. I wouldn't exactly call this an awful film but this film feels like a B movie that didn't embrace the camp factor and played it so serious which makes it a lot less entertaining than it is. To be honest this is very heavily flawed in about nearly every category. This was one of Mel Gibson's first ever roles and to be honest he's alright here but it's far from his best. He spends the first half of the film a bit sidelined actually as his partner Goose gets the first half of the film focused on him. After that he just plays it all very straight until the finale where he really does go mad and that's where he is at his best. The rest of the acting is but all over the place but I think the actor who plays Goose does do a good job. The best parts acting wise are the villains. You have Hugh Keays-Byrne who plays the villain, Toe Cutter and funny enough also plays Immortan Joe in fury road. Anyway he just a hams it up to the max as Toe Cutter who despite the name doesn't ever cut off anyone's toes or do anything really that scary or intimidating. The villains here are all cartoons and the actors are clearly loving it. George Miller is a fantastic job, look no further than Fury Road but here I don't think he did a great job. It is impressive how he was ale to make this film when he didn't have enough money to pay some of the actors and while he brilliantly directs the action sequences. He decided to make this film very serious which just doesn't work as this film does feel a lot like a B movie and that causes this film to be very inconsistent when it comes to tone. Now this is an action film but if I'm being completely honest I was bored for a good segment of this film. The has an amazing opening then it stays good but then once Max retired from the force this film becomes so boring until the very ending when Max goes Mad. Speaking of which for a film called Mad Max you would expect Max to be a loose canon and a hot head but actually his partner Goose is the hot head and the loose canon and it's not until the last 15 minutes you get to see Max go mad and to be honest while it is awesome it is a bit too little too late. However the action is one of the best aspects here aside from the villains. The action here is all practical, in fact one of the most interesting parts of the film is the behind the scenes of the film. Like how in the start of the film when the car spins round the rubble they actually strapped a rocket to the car. Also George Miller actually hired biker gang members of Toe Cutters gang and he actually payed them with beer instead of cash. Also they hired scouts to look out for the cops because they probably would have been arrested if the cops found them performing these stunts. The action scenes here are great though and I think the opening chase is a great way to open this movie. However while this is a very problematic film and it's heavily flawed this is still a good film although it's far from perfect or from being the best Mad Max movie but it's still a good film. B
February 29, 2016
Alright I had to watch this one to get along with the world of Max Rockatansky after watching Fury Road. This one made in 1979 and with Mel Gibson as Max.
The movie starts with a chase, a couple apparently stole a car and made havoc on a highway, the male named the Nightrider seems to be crazy but with the mind of a child, the couple crashes and is killed after another cop, being Max Rockatansky tries to stop them, the corpses are send to a morgue but are robbed by the Toecutter and his gang of bikers, with Johnny the Boy being his right hand, but Johnny is caught by Mx and his friend Jim, anyhow Johnny is freed abd the gang has revenge by killing Jim, Max scared for the attack quits his job and goes on vavcations with his wife and child but after a chase with the Toecutter his wife and kid are killed and now he seeks for revenge.
First of all we are introduce to a world that apparently seems to be crazy and almost death with few people that still believe in good and saneness, but with the most importsnt thing in the world: cars and motorcycles. Every character has especial bond with its vehicule, the bikers use dark and flame painted bikes to represnt their crazyness and wildness on the roads and Max, first uses a cop patrol, representing his rightous stand agains evil and also showing his saneness, after quiting he uses a van, a normal one, showing that at the same time he is a lovely father and husband who also lives a normal life, but after his family is murdered, he uses a modified car, with a wild style and dark colours showing his fall to MADness. The action sequences which are short but worthy to see again and again, and visually wonderful with the good guys always being focused on the center and the bad ones ... well everywhere. It has a good story, the characters are interesting, Max and the villain Toecutter being the best, it may look oldy but trust me it still looks amazing.
September 18, 2010
It might have been one of the greatest action films in its time, but it doesn't really hold up. It's mostly loud and obnoxious.
½ August 30, 2014
By the artful direction of George Miller, these films each stand as thriller-masterpieces with practice stunts and action to immerse their viewers.
½ June 18, 2015
More grindhouse than post-Apocalypse wheelhouse, this drive-in adrenaline rush established a blockbuster brand and put Mel Gibson on the map. It was shot mostly on the cheap, but you wouldn't know it. Staging Fast & Furious-level hot-rod blockbusting on a Two-Lane Blacktop budget, this origin tale exhibits a biting - albeit offbeat - sense of humor and balletic violence that rightly earned it an instant cult status. Indeed, Mad Max isn't for everybody. It's more dialogue driven and stagy than the superior follow-up, The Road Warrior, and shares only basic DNA with Fury Road, but it sets a winning grindhouse cinema tone that carries through to this day in top shelf form.

In this R-rated thriller, a vengeful Australian policeman (Gibson) sets out to stop a violent motorcycle gang in a self-destructing post-apocalyptic world.

George Miller and Mel Gibson seem to be planning this road trip as it goes. Driven but cagier than in future stories, the titular anti-hero gets played more as a feral vigilante here. In the next two superior installments, Gibson's Mad Max assumes the mantle of lone wolf-turned-reluctant hero. For now, however, this less assured young actor exhibits definite chops but still exudes lethal weapons-grade charisma. You can't turn away, even if this iteration of Max lacks the steely cool machismo of Road Warrior. More of a cornered animal striking out, his magnetism keeps us vested, as does Miller's H'Wood-level stunt spectaculars.

Bottom line: The Passion of the Crikey
February 21, 2016
Made nearly 36 years ago, we find out why Max became so mad. A primitive version of the Fast and Furious franchise. Substitute the desert with the ocean and the young Mel Gibson with Kevin Costner, youŽll find yourself in Waterworld.