Made for Each Other - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Made for Each Other Reviews

½ September 11, 2010
It's realistic and the actors are good, but the story isn't exciting, it's a boring drama, more like watching real life than a movie, at least the ending was okay, but overall it's pretty boring.
July 6, 2009
If you see this for the 1st time now, you'd probably think "How derivative is THIS!?!?" And it seems to be...a man and woman get married, they have problems with money and whatnot, she gets preggers, the baby gets sick and there's a rush against the clock to get the meds before said baby cashes in. Only you'd be dead wrong. It's the OTHER million films you've seen this in since this one was released that are derivative. And this one is just about the best of the lot, made during that magical year of 1939 like it was. What movie WASN'T good that was released in 1939? I'll expect the answers to that question typed, double-spaced and turned in on my desk first thing in the morning. ;)
jjnxn
½ April 4, 2007
the soap is rather heavy but the performances are beautiful
December 5, 2010
It's sad seeing good actors wasted in such a mediocre film. Not to mention the ludicrous american family, middle-class ideological core that lies behind the bad script.
October 12, 2012
The story is cliched and derivative, but thanks to a cast involving James Stewart and Carole Lombard, they take this bizarre melodrama/comedy above and beyond what it is by itself. This film is surprisingly compelling thanks to their performances and make their troubles convincing. It's an enjoyable, underrated feel-good film.
April 23, 2011
Heavy story about the problems a young married couple has to deal with. I'm a huge fan of James Stewart and I'm glad I have this movie as part of my classic collection. Touching performances for a great realistic drama.
April 2, 2011
Maybe If It Picked a Genre?

At the point at which this film, not one of the highlights of cinema's greatest year, was released, Carole Lombard had less than two years to live. She had a couple of months left until her marriage to Clark Gable. And so it is more than a little unsettling to see a desperate flight, a "mercy plane" defying a storm to bring serum to a dying child, and to see that plane spiral downward. I have read that her mother begged her not to fly but resigned herself to it and climbed on the plane alongside her. She even pulled rank to get on that doomed flight, saying that the amount she'd raised in war bonds should overcome the fact that she didn't actually have one. And Clark Gable joined the military in what was probably a suicide attempt. The woman who lived through that had guts, and she wouldn't stand for how she's treated in this movie.

John Horace Mason (Jimmy Stewart) had known Jane (Lombard) for one day when he married her while on a business trip to Boston. He lives, alas, with his mother (Lucile Watson), a bit of an old battle-ax who thinks John should instead have married Eunice Doolittle (Ruth Weston), who has among other things the distinct advantage of being the niece of his boss, Judge Doolittle (Charles Coburn). Another young lawyer at the firm, Conway (Eddie Quillan), takes credit for John's work and gets the junior partnership John deserves. He and Jane have a baby, John, Jr. (Bonnie Belle Barber, because babies don't have to play their own sex), and when Jane gets John to work up enough never to insist on a raise and a partnership, the judge instead tells John that he's going to get a twenty-five percent pay cut, because times are hard. And then the baby gets sick.

The thing is, about half the movie is a lighthearted domestic comedy. At about the point that John gets his pay-cut, we swerve hard into the land of the melodrama. And it isn't even good melodrama. It's pretty dumb. The idea that all the serum for this particular condition in the country is in Salt Lake City, which is locked in by snow, is kind of ludicrous to me. It's supposed to be based on something that really happened to David O. Selznick's brother, but I assume his brother wasn't in, you know, [i]Manhattan[/i]. The idea that he can wake up his boss, who's always seemed kind of self-absorbed, in the middle of the night, weep all over him, and get five thousand bucks to get a pilot to risk his life is unbelievable, too. The judge who appears in the rest of the film seems more likely to call the cops, though you never can tell what would happen to people in some situations.

Look, I'm with everyone in the film. I don't think John should've married Jane after only a day. I think maybe Conway was a little snarkier than necessary when he said the judge would have a problem that John had done it on company time, but there was the whole thing with introducing Jane to her new mother-in-law. I don't think John knew, for example, that Jane doesn't seem to know anything about housekeeping. Mrs. Mason the elder is a harridan, and it's no wonder that the various housekeepers all quit. (Except Lily, played by Louise Beavers, who just feels sorry for her. Which must have driven her nuts.) But it would have been nice to have known going in that your new wife couldn't keep house without someone paid to do all the actual work. At that, how much actual work was there to do before the baby was born? In my generation, people didn't have maids, so I'm never sure what people needed maids for.

At that, the fact that John and Jane didn't know each other before they got married doesn't add much to the plot. All marriages involve getting to know one another. Even when you've lived with someone before marriage, I think. The pressures are different to marriage. And simply knowing that your mother-in-law wanted your husband to marry someone else can be good enough, no matter how long you knew him first. After all, it's hard to picture John taking much of anyone home to meet Mother. Because Mother would pretty well want to shrivel them at a glance. On a good day. I mean, she actually gets angry that her son and his wife might perhaps want to go somewhere and have fun on New Year's Eve without her, and she's irate that they might be as concerned about the baby's health as they are about hers. By the end of things, you know the wrong person's in that oxygen tent.
½ January 18, 2010
Methodical, short (85 minutes) first rate soap opera of struggling, married young couple battling meddling in-laws, poverty, illness, etc. Listed often as a comedy (?), it is more of a drama.

Fine acting by Jimmy Stewart, Carole Lombard and Ward Bond (later wagon train leader on WAGON TRAIN,a televison series, and notably a frequent actor in John Wayne westerns). The acting elevates this film to 80% whereas without it well?

A thoughtful taste of what viewers can relate to in a rocky beginning to a marriage.
½ June 10, 2007
Great story of a young couple's struggle to keep it together through money, job, and family problems.
February 1, 2007
One of Carole's serious roles. This lady should have gotten an Oscar for this role. She is so believable.
½ July 17, 2005
AN UNUSUAL FILM, A MIX OF HEAVY DRAMA, COMEDY, TRAGEDY, ROMANCE...BUT WITH STARS LIKE JAMES STEWART AND CAROLE LOMBARD, IT CAN'T HELP BUT WORK. VERY INTERESTING.
½ August 3, 2014
I became a fan of Jimmy Stewart's work because of films like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and It's a Wonderful Life.

Compared to those films, I'm unsure how Made for Each Other stands up today.

The acting performances were good, though.
April 26, 2014
Definitely surprised by this one, it was great. Definitely a marriage movie, the plot doesn't spend much time anywhere else. The bonus is that this film is in the public domain and free to watch! Don't go into it if you need something light hearted or entertaining. It's very similar to It's a Wonderful Life, almost as heart wrenching.
July 19, 2013
The powerful precursor to "It's a Wonderful Life" - Sure, it's not as perfectly done as the latter film, but the producer and Jimmy Stewart did a great job with this and the latter film would not have been so great if this movie hadn't been made to prefigure it.
June 8, 2013
An amiable lawyer turns down a successful career by turning the hand of the daughter of his law firm's boss by marrying a woman he just met in Boston. However, the newlyweds must cope with financial struggles, a mother who does not approve of the marriage, and things going bad to worse when their baby becomes ill. Stewart anticipates his It's a Wonderful Life character in this comedy drama drama. However, Cromwell is no Capra, and the balance in this melodrama is far from resembling the afore mentioned film.
March 3, 2013
Well that was schmultzy jimmy stewart wonderfullness
October 12, 2012
½ August 25, 2012
I really wanted this one to be better.
½ June 30, 2012
with all the talent this film carries, it's never better than mediocre, and at parts is even quite boring.
June 26, 2012