• PG-13, 1 hr. 47 min.

Madea's Family Reunion Reviews

DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

September 4, 2011
Just another Tyler Perry movie. The plot is half comedy, and half drama, and although the movie is hilarious, the dramatic moments are unbearable. The cast is also bad, although I think Tyler Perry is a funny and good actor, the rest of the cast was bad and I did not enjoy them. I'm a huge fan of the character of Madea, but I wish they made a Madea movie that is all comedy, instead of this crappy comedy/drama films that have become really boring.
Rachel F

August 14, 2007
Hilarious.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
sjcole4
sjcole4

April 21, 2008
It was just aight for me...excels when actually focusing on comedy, fails when trying too hard to push Perry's agenda (which is a good one, just doesn't go over so well).
Patrick D

November 8, 2007
This film is strange
rickrudge
July 9, 2014
Madea's Family Reunion (2006)

Tyler Perry movies are always, what the kids call "Gay". It's not just the fact that he does most of his movies in drag, or that the movies spend a good 30-50 percent of the movie bashing men, it's that Tyler Perry's movies are always black Christian chick flicks.??

The women are always these very thin, demure, beauties with long relaxed hair that are in unhappy marriages or relationships with these handsome, successful, super rich and super EVIL black men. They are always emotionally damaged damsels that don't want to get into another relationship. ??

There is always a very handsome, clean-cut Christian black man with dreamy eyes, who is always there for them (but not in a sexual way of course). The guy is always built like a brick outhouse, like he's got to spend more time working out in a gym than reading his bible. The woman eventually addresses her demons and surrenders her heart to the good Christian man.??

Madea (when she's not wearing her ankle locator bracelet) is always there to talk about those good old fashioned values, when you can bitch slap a child who's misbehaving and how a woman needs to fight their oppressive male friends. Mr. Perry also plays her horn dog, pot smoking brother who Madea is living with. There is always some comical banter between those two.

??I know that Tyler Perry is providing an alternative to the other blacksploitation films that are out on the market. The majority of African Americans are good, hard-working middle-class people and they've got to be tired of the images of "gangsta" urban blacks in the media. On the other hand, there are those "gangsta" elements in Tyler Perry's movies also, and the drama in dealing with those elements, so there's a little there too.

??I'm not saying that Tyler Perry's movies are bad. They are very good, well done movies from their church plays. They are very viewable and enjoyable. It would be a much better TV series material, except that viewers would quickly become aware of how similar each story is to each other.

??"Madea's Family Reunion" stands out, in that it features Cicely Tyson and the honorable poet, Dr. Maya Angelou. The preaching of where the family had come from slave beginnings and how the family needs to take care of each other was great. However, the woman beater, portrayed by Blair Underwood was written as such a psycho fiancÚ that it held such an unbelievably plot point to the drama. His character was just put in as an excuse to get back at him at the end. And, thus my main comment from above.

??It's OK, Tyler Perry, but give us something new.
April 9, 2013
Love it cuz of the Madea parts but the back story I didn't really like....I mean, I'm watching a COMEDY!
Hamee
September 22, 2011
"God invented menopause because I am too old to be a mother" ~Madea

This is my favorite of Perry's movies and Madea's greatest role to date. The cast was great in this one and the ending was beautiful.
brandankurtis
September 20, 2010
I think everybody that reviewed this must be white. Haha, it really seems like it, but it's funny because I am white. This movie was awesome in my opinion. I almost didn't watch it because the rating was so low, but I'm so glad I did. It was the most ridiculous movie I have ever seen, in a good way. It HILARIOUS in some parts while in other parts I was almost crying. That's crazy 'cause I'm just a 16 year old dude. I can't wait to show my girlfriend this film, I will definitely get it on DVD. It's been so long since I've seen a movie that's actually made me laugh, like the kind that I would laugh at if I were alone. This was definitely one of them. It's superb the way Tyler Perry was able to script and produce this, addressing very very delicate subjects in a way that somehow managed to be respectful, yet at the same time humorous. At the same time he acted 3 characters and he was really the life of the movie. Blair Underwood (Carlos) really did a good job at being somebody you love to hate, it's hilarious though because he was also the man that got left in his last movie Something New. Overall I was very pleasantly surprised with this film, outstanding performance by all in my opinion.
allcurves67
August 4, 2010
I think Tyler Perry's make on the older generation is excellent and funny also adds some wisdom in it.
January 20, 2010
Boy, see this is why Perry movies get a bad name. This is the first Perry movie that I felt was completely filled with the same caricatures that always seem to be portrayed in his movies. How is this a feel good movie when you get the obligatory woman being slapped up by her man, obligatory smart ass bad child, followed by a mother who gave her own daughter to be raped by a man so they could live 'comfortably', and then that same mother using her other daughter to live off a trust fund? Really? Are y'all really that f'ed up?
The 'humor' was too thin and the angst way up too high in this one, sorry.

Oh, and I'd like to know how the bus driver was going to pay for Carlos' expensive wedding.
May 5, 2009
Theres like 100 of these Tyler Perry movies and they are all testaments to how fucking stupid people are. If you watch these movies or anything by Tyler Perry then you have Down's Syndrome and should file for some Federal financial assistance while you qualify. If your name is Tyler Perry... die.
vampirekissblood05
April 1, 2009
Tyler Perry knows his movies! Another movie where a woman is pushed around by her man and gets her day for a little pay back!!
ladyred2988
March 10, 2009
tyler perry always knows how to do his movies.. i love all of them especially mades family reunion .. tru this movie u will learn to LOVE Madea! loll :) must watch!!
May 27, 2007
Love yourself and love others, and sometimes you gotta do it Madea's style. Gritball, anyone? And those wedding vows, utterly breath-taking!
ladyj061370
March 24, 2007
Mable 'Madea' Simmons: You know I only go to church for two reasons, weddings and funerals, which one we gonna have today?
pyro2400
June 28, 2008
If you haven't met Madea you're in for a big surprise. This gun weilding, out spoken, wise crackin', black woman( who's actually a man in costume) makes an amazing Comedy/Drama that all, black and white, should see. See it or she may open a can of whoop-ass on ya.
February 19, 2008
Rings true to real life with all the ups and downs and good and bad. Comes off as really preachy but Madea uproariously puts it into balance.
Cindyt19
December 14, 2007
it waz so funny when Madea said"And I'm gon whoop yo ass".And when she said"I don't care call the popo hoe.
StaisilD
October 14, 2007
Madea's Family Reunion is about family, love, hurt, painful secrets and laughter. It features the infamous, gun-toting tell-it-like-it-is Madea, but this movie introduces a lot of well-rounded characters that are played by some incredible actors. We meet Vanessa the older of the two nieces in the movie. She has two out-of-wedlock children and has moved in with Madea. We also meet her sister Lisa, the younger and meek one who is engaged to a wealthy and violent investment banker named Carlos. To round out this group is Victoria, Lisa and Vanessa's mother, a strong-willed, domineering mother who has a favoritism for Lisa and a troubled past with Vanessa. Although the movie is titled Madea's Family Reunion, the viewer gets caught up in this dual story of the sisters. One finding what love is, and one finding out what love isn't. The movie boasts powerful issues that are acted out to perfection. Tackling such controversial issues is rarely seen in films today where the movie industry has caught remake and horror fever. What is most compelling is the way Perry tells this story of love and pain, it is without color. Anyone, no matter what race or status can relate to this movie. I also liked how the movie tackled foster parenting. Madea takes in Nikki, a rough quick little girl who has been passed around in the foster care system. With a little patience, a lot of love and encouragement, we see her metamorphosis into a sweet young lady. Unlike other movies where you say the first is always better than the others to follow, this one definitely did not leave me disappointed and I can personally say is at the same level as Diary of a Mad Woman.