Critic Review - Variety

The interaction among opposites inspires an abundance of predictable race-based jokes, many of which have the saving grace of actually being funny.

June 29, 2012 Full Review Source: Variety | Comments (6)
Variety
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Christian Blackwell

Christian Blackwell

It's too apparent that Tyler Perry is extremely racist for me to laugh. Try watching his serious movies and saying "He's just messing around." By the way, yes, he has dramas.

Jul 3 - 03:26 PM

Michael Buie

Michael Buie

Just because he ADDRESSES racism does not mean he IS a racist. This is what some insecure white people do when they hear a dialog or see a parody or satire about race from black folk ... cry racism.

Let me school you on the definition of racism, oh ye of superior intellect:

rac?ism
noun \?r?-?si-z?m also -?shi-\

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2: racial prejudice or discrimination

Jul 5 - 01:19 PM

Marya K.

Marya Kudos

So right Michael B. I don't think any of the Madea's films are racist at all. He never tries to make one race look "cooler" than the other. He shows up each side equally and lets us enjoy the "predictable race-based jokes" which, seriously, we all should take at face-value.

Jul 16 - 01:53 AM

Elder Ardelia Jackson

Elder Ardelia Jackson

I definitely agree with you Michael B. Finally a mature response. There is nothing about Tyler's movies that suggest racism; however what some might find offensive is his humorous approach to the black culture and the use of ebonics, but there is no mention about the black race being superior in any of his movies and I have seen everyone. I find his movies to be funny and he has a real approach to issuies that plague all nationalities living in this western part of the world.

Jul 12 - 07:44 AM

Elder Ardelia Jackson

Elder Ardelia Jackson

I definitely agree with you Michael B. Finally a mature response. There is nothing about Tyler's movies that suggest racism; however what some might find offensive is his humorous approach to the black culture and the use of ebonics, but there is no mention about the black race being superior in any of his movies (I have seen every one), I find his movies to be funny and he has a real approach to issuies that plague all nationalities living in this western part of the world.

Jul 12 - 07:45 AM

Thomas Stump

Thomas Stump

"If you get stopped by the police, especially if they are white policemen, you say 'yes sir' and 'no sir', and if they want to take you in, you go with them," Perry said his mother often told him. "Don't resist, you hear me? Don't make any quick moves, don't run, you just go."

Tyler Perry said that recently after being pulled over by WHITE cops... That is a comment based on RACE. That makes you a RACIST... Any Questions Michael B...? You insecure overcompensating self-hating white person... "insecure white people"... yeesh

Jul 18 - 08:35 PM

Janice Catten

Janice Catten

Question? When a white person criticizes anything that is "black oriented? they are called racist. Let a white producer make the same "stereotypial"movies like Tyler Perry and see if he wouldn't be cslled a racist. We need to grow up and let people have their opinions without getting so sensitive. I'm a
tyler Perry fan but Madea's Witness Protection movie was not good. The jokes were forced and not that funny.

Jul 18 - 10:07 PM