Madison County

• Image Entertainment

Madison County Reviews

Jacob P
½ July 16, 2012
Not as good as expected...but I waited over a year for this movie to come out...and I got what I deserved! Very good teen-slasher flick.
Francisco  G. Francisco G.
April 30, 2012
A competently made but ultimately useless, unimaginative, boring slasher flick. Doesn't bring absolutly nothing new to the table but there's worse out there.
Christina E ½ June 2, 2013
Watch it. It's pretty much Texas Chainsaw Massacre with a different mask. Not bad, but not very creative. At least the actors can actually act, which is more than I can say for a lot of films.
Joe J ½ July 12, 2012
A group of college kids travel to Madison County to interview a man who wrote a book about a local serial killer in the area, and when they get there they find the killer is still up to his old tricks, and the townspeople will stop at nothing to maintain the status quo.

This film takes from some classic horror flicks like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Friday the 13th" and delivers a college-level film with horrible acting, a razor-thin storyline and some of the worst writing out there. The only saving grace this film has is Adrienne Harrell, who plays the elderly restaurant owner Erma.
Al M ½ June 12, 2012
A film that makes Wrong Turn 4 look original, Madison County is just another tired backwoods slasher flick that never manages to be creepy, scary, or even gory--it could have at least had some decent death scenes. And a pig head? Please, I have seen that used way more effectively in multiple other films. Hell, the video game Manhunt does a better job with it!
Tom K January 20, 2014
the most boring horror film i have ever seen!
Roxanne B November 2, 2013
It took a whole hour to get somewhere in the movie. Once the killing starts it continues, this is the last 45 mins of the movie. My god, did I find this movie one of the most boring films ever. I feel like someone made it over a weekend as a school project. It is very predictable from start to finish
Ed C September 27, 2013
One sentence summary: Avoid big ratty looking men with pig masks.
------------

Opening sequence: young woman wakes up in the back of a pickup, wearing just bra and panties. She jumps out and runs. The man driving the truck stops, runs after her with a shovel. He knocks her out, carries her back, throws her into the back seat. A local looks on, says nothing, seems unperturbed by it.
Three young men (Will, James, Kyle) and two young women (Jenna, Brooke) go for a trip to the sticks to interview an author of a book about a serial killer in Madison County. The author has no phone or computer; hence letters and the current interview.
About 24 minutes in, the group reaches Madison County and stops for lunch. They ask about the book, Devil in the Woods, the book's author David Randall, and the main character in the book, Damian Ewell. They eventually get the author's address and go there.
They find a nice house on private property, but no one answers the door.
Kyle does some more digging for information, while the other four hang out at the address they were given. Kyle looks over a cemetery (looking for headstones), then areas nearby. He sees two girls topless in a stream, and tries to start a conversation. The villain comes up behind him, the girls see him, Kyle turns, and gets stabbed to death. The girls do not react at all even though there is a freshly dead human body in the stream with them. This is like the opening sequence: the lack of affect at outrageous events.
The foursome explore near the house. Will and Brooke get separated from James and Jenna. Further James and Jenna get separated. Clever. Will buys his real estate while relieving himself. Brooke sees the body of her boyfriend and runs.
Jenna and Brooke find each other. James talks to Erma at the diner again. Erma lets him know his time on earth is limited. The killer goes after the young women first. Jenna runs decoy for Brooke, who neither runs away nor helps her friend. The killer does Jenna in with an axe.
James is captured along with a father (David Randall, from an earlier scene) and daughter (the young woman from the first sequence). James and the daughter escape, but the David does not. Brooke makes it back to the diner, which is now deserted. Erma claims she has not seen any of Brooke's friends, then offers to drive Brooke to a doctor. Then Erma (Damian's mother) knifes her to death.

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 8/10 Jumpy camera work for perhaps four minutes, but usually quite good.

Sound: 6/10 High differences in sound levels. Poor choices of incidental music. Accents? Actors sound like Los Angeles television most of the time. Conversational sound levels were consistently clear.

Acting: 6/10 I've seen much worse.

Screenplay: 5/10 This was pretty thin. Perhaps the kids might have set a date and a time and a place to meet the author first? That's too much to ask, I guess. The lack of affect by the locals could have used better exposition. Of course, this helps the "by the time you figure it out, it's too late" feeling of helplessness.
DC F June 9, 2013
It takes quite a while to get to the horror aspect of this film, but the eerie build-up and character development is easily watchable due to both being done so well. The performances were so incredible that the characters felt like real people I personally know which made the terror all the more tense when bad things do finally start happening. The death scenes were realistic and bloody and with a few minor tweaks to the story, this could've been a far superior version of the new Texas Chainsaw sequel reboot instead of the weak shot we got for 2013.
Carla F March 19, 2013
Absolutely Boring and made no sense!!! 10 Thumbs down!!
DC FIXX DC FIXX February 14, 2013
Carl M January 31, 2013
James and his friends set out to interview an author who claims that the people of Madison County have been hiding a serial killer in their midst, but unfortunately for them, it's true! Director Eric England has unwittingly unlocked the secret to destroying suspense in his new film MADISON COUNTY. Moody atmosphere and creeping terror need not apply in this boring, generic Slasher. Instead, the kills are committed by a villain who literally walks up and stabs his victims in broad daylight, a villain who doesn't even give the audience the slightest bit of satisfaction by ripping off a few heads or tearing out his victims' throats. MADISON COUNTY is completely uninventive in every way, and England makes no attempt to hide the numerous genre influences that helped to shape the film. Horror fans will easily pick out the direct visual and audio references to THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, MOTEL HELL, THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, and many more. As if things were not bad enough, MADISON COUNTY is nauseating to watch thanks to the constantly-shaking camera. Not even the mediocre acting from the cookie cutter characters can save the film from falling into the sea of forgettable Slashers.
Hobie P ½ January 30, 2013
Bad script,Bad plot,Bad cast,BAD MOVIE!!
David W November 7, 2012
Now this really is crap, stylishly shot yes but it took all my patience to even sit through this one.
Jonathan P ½ October 3, 2012
Plot/story line starts off well, but the last 30min of the movie kills it. 1.5 stars bc the actors were decent... 1.5 stars bc the movie had a bad story
Oscar T September 8, 2012
Otro slasher de lo más genà (C)rico y predecible que puede existir.
Bloody Hyacinthus Bloody Hyacinthus May 20, 2012
I over-anticipated this movie, certain that it was right up my alley-- good production, simple plot, sufficiently talented cast-- so what happened? Did somebody sabotage the project by tossing the last half of the shooting script into a river? The ending was sloppy and careless, to say the least-- and everything was going so well! It was as though the cast and crew, almost finished, were distracted by something very, very shiny, and simply wandered away. It also seemed they had no respect for their actual characters. It's a shame-- this one could've been a keeper.
Jacob P
½ July 16, 2012
Shawn H July 4, 2012
The scariest thing about Madison County is how well the ads ork on making this movie look good. This coming from someone who loves horrible movies, I that hope really says something. When movies are bad due\ to acting or a goofy plot, it's horribleness is forgiveable, and laughable, But when you give it an earnest try and come up so short you can't see the finish line, there's a major problem.

The only enjoyment I got from this movie was the fact my girlfriend is afraid of pig masks. But after about 10 minutes of watching our killer in action, she too had fallen bored of it. Maybe if the pure evil pig-faced Damien [original.] was threatening at all this movie would have worked better. But that doesnt necessarily mean big and bulky or anything, maybe if he had maniacal laughter or... ANYTHING! Sometimes, when the 'monster' doesnt speak behind a mask it makes it scarier, but they're the kind who would be frightening even if they said an occassional one-liner. [Jason Vorhees = scary. Damien and Michael Meyers = not so much.]

Apparently, all you need to make a horror movie is a 'scary setting' [the country, that's only scary to people from the city] and what looks like a teenager in a mask. And of course, this movie isn't without it's cliches. Damien is beaten in the head repeatedly, to what should be to the point of death, and when the heroes run over his body to escape, Damien, OF COURSE, comes back.

The situations that these victims [the viewers are the real victims] get themselves into are so pathetically easy to get out of, or turn it in their favor, that it would make you believe the director has never even watched a horror movie before.

I must admit though, the *spoiler alert* knee breaking scene is the highlight of the film. Sure it's less then one second, but it's done nicely and catches you completely unaware.

The final seconds of the film has a shakey zoom-in onto Damien, still alive and kickin', trying to leave off for a sequel, but if there's a God there wont be another... too bad for us we'll probably be seeing Madison County: Pigs CAN Fly any time now.
Alexis Minnie M June 23, 2012
it plane out sucked cause it was repeating over and over it also didn't make sense at all so dont bother watching it you wont like it