Madonna - Truth or Dare (1991)
Critics Consensus: No consensus yet.
No Top Critics Tomatometer score yet...
Madonna's 1990 "Blonde Ambition" tour is the subject of this celebrity-studded, behind-the-scenes documentary. Ample performance footage is included, but the film's true core is in the backstage scenes portraying the singer's extreme personality, from her dissing of fellow celebs to her role as den mother for her troupe of dancers.
Related News & Features
Truth or Dare and Other Great Concert Docs
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.Login
Critic Reviews for Madonna - Truth or Dare
In presenting an "honest," unvarnished portrait of herself, Madonna gives her one great performance in a movie.
Much of the supposedly raw material feels calculated, but several off-the-cuff moments are ingratiating -- the backstage meeting between Madonna and Kevin Costner, who deems her show "neat," is priceless.
Revealing for those who which to revel in Madonna's visage.
Stylish, vastly entertaining but not particularly deep or revelatory of the "real" Madonna, docu centers on her Blond Ambition tour with some interesting glimpses about life offstage.
Just try and resist it
Not to quote Kevin Costner, but this movie is "neat."
Bizarrely overrated vanity piece that might appeal to fans.
Surprisingly enlightening for a "love me!" puff piece.
Audience Reviews for Madonna - Truth or Dare
This film was the big thing in 1991. Fascinating and Fun tour with Madonna and her concert series. I learned to love her and hate her from this very same movie. She's a phenomenal and complex character. We saw some humanity presented too! I was awed by the stage performances and costumes which accompanied the music. I chuckled at the likes of the horse-man, the bed-pounding and the cone-bras. The Toronto authorities should be ashamed of themselves for trying to stop such an influential artist from letting her work be witnessed.More
Fascinating behind-the-scenes documentary of Madonna. Absorbing stuff, whether you like her or not.More
As many others have said, Warren Beatty steals the show with his comments about Madonna "not wanting to live off camera". Love her or hate her, this is still an interesting look inside Madonna's life.More
Madonna - Truth or Dare Quotes
- Warren Beatty:
- [after Madonna declines to talk to her doctor off-camera] She doesn't want to live off-camera, much less talk. There's nothing to say off-camera. Why would you say something if it's off-camera? What point is there existing?
- [voiceover, as Madonna visits her mother's grave] What I remember most about her was that she was - she was very kind and very gentle and very feminine. I don't know, I guess she seemed like an angel to me, but I suppose everybody thinks their mother's an angel when they're five. I also know she was really religious, so I never really understood why she was taken away from us. It seemed so unfair. I never thought that she had done something wrong, so oftentimes I wondered what I had done wrong.
- [makes gagging noises] 'Neat'? Anybody who says my show is 'neat' has to go.
- Kevin Costner:
- Thanks for having us. It was really generous.
- Thanks for coming.
- Kevin Costner:
- We thought it was 'neat'.
- Kevin Costner:
- Really neat.
- No one's ever described it as that.
Discuss Madonna - Truth or Dare on our Movie forum!