Madonna - Truth or Dare (1991)
Average Rating: 6.3/10
Reviews Counted: 20
Fresh: 16 | Rotten: 4
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 3
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.2/5
User Ratings: 9,152
Truth or Dare is an outrageous, insightful, carefully controlled and (to non-fans) overlong documentary of singer Madonna's 1990 Blonde Ambition tour. Though much of the film is a paean to self-love and self-aggrandizement, we are permitted to see Madonna at her worst as well as her best. Just when the audience is on the verge of giving up the flamboyant vocalist as a bad job, she displays a sudden attack of sensitivity, such as her protective attitude towards a timid homosexual in her troupe.
May 10, 1991 Wide
Jul 25, 2000
Watch It Now
Himself, Warren Beat...
Herself, Sandra Bern...
Antonio Banderas, Hi...
Dancer, Luis Camacho
Himself, Kevin Costn...
Dancer, Oliver Crume...
Dancer, Donna Delory
Dancer, Salim Gauwlo...
Dancer, Jose Guitier...
Dancer, Niki Harris
Al Pacino, Himself [...
Dancer, Kevin Stea
Dancer, Gabriel Trup...
Carlton Wilborn, Dan...
Himself, Pedro Almod...
Herself, Sharon Gaul...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
In presenting an "honest," unvarnished portrait of herself, Madonna gives her one great performance in a movie.
Much of the supposedly raw material feels calculated, but several off-the-cuff moments are ingratiating -- the backstage meeting between Madonna and Kevin Costner, who deems her show "neat," is priceless.
Revealing for those who which to revel in Madonna's visage.
Stylish, vastly entertaining but not particularly deep or revelatory of the "real" Madonna, docu centers on her Blond Ambition tour with some interesting glimpses about life offstage.
Just try and resist it
Not to quote Kevin Costner, but this movie is "neat."
Bizarrely overrated vanity piece that might appeal to fans.
Surprisingly enlightening for a "love me!" puff piece.
Audience Reviews for Madonna - Truth or Dare
- Warren Beatty: [after Madonna declines to talk to her doctor off-camera] She doesn't want to live off-camera, much less talk. There's nothing to say off-camera. Why would you say something if it's off-camera? What point is there existing?
- Madonna: [voiceover, as Madonna visits her mother's grave] What I remember most about her was that she was - she was very kind and very gentle and very feminine. I don't know, I guess she seemed like an angel to me, but I suppose everybody thinks their mother's an angel when they're five. I also know she was really religious, so I never really understood why she was taken away from us. It seemed so unfair. I never thought that she had done something wrong, so oftentimes I wondered what I had done wrong.
- Madonna: [makes gagging noises] 'Neat'? Anybody who says my show is 'neat' has to go.
- Kevin Costner: Thanks for having us. It was really generous.
- Madonna: Thanks for coming.
- Kevin Costner: We thought it was 'neat'.
- Madonna: 'Neat'?
- Kevin Costner: Really neat.
- Madonna: No one's ever described it as that.
Discuss Madonna - Truth or Dare on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Madonna - Truth or Dare
May 26, 2011:Truth or Dare and Other Great Concert Docs
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Madonna's "Truth or Dare," here's a list of other noteworthy...